Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675461 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #570 on: May 26, 2015, 12:31:33 am »
I'm would never say DDNeon was a sales monster, only that it understood what IP it was working with when compared to a total failure of a game like Final Fight: Streetwise. 

Also, that IGN review is terrible. The first line of that quote dismisses the genre altogether. I guess the Yakuza series was never very good, since the brawler genre is not very good anymore.

The SOR soundtrack is iconic, which I think should give the series consideration beyond it's generation. Sonic and Shining started on Genesis and have lived on after. Phantasy Star, and Shinobi were a generation before and have kept on. I believe the SOR series belongs among them as worthy of continuation and apparently Sega did too with all the prototypes that were out there for SOR4. Problem lies in the execution not the IP.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #571 on: May 26, 2015, 03:13:32 am »
Yakuza is more than a 'brawler with 80's mechanics', its just one of the aspects of the game and is done totally different than Streets of Rage trilogy was.

Streets of Rage did have a great set of albums, no one is denying that. Sadly people don't purchase games for a soundtrack. I also don't think making a new game because 'the soundtrack was bomb' isn't a real excuse for a company to make the game.

I think it has to be the right project with the right developer. I know SEGA turned out some shits in the past 10 years when it came to older IPs and more 'not so great but has potential' . But have you seen some of the 'revival' pitches that get leaked online? Some seem great, but others I wouldn't feel right about at all.

Would I like to see a new Streets of Rage in 2D. For sure, but regardless how well will it fair in sales? Its hard to predict, I think SEGA should invest in getting 1080p Sonic CD type reworked with 'remastered' soundtrack up on digital service with a fair amount of hype. If they sell well and within a decent range move forward.

It seems they have been trying the digital route but older legacy stuff isn't really moving.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #572 on: May 26, 2015, 07:34:27 am »
Bringing back and IP doesn't have to mean making it play with the limitations of a 1980's arcade machine though. It also doesn't mean you have to make it into Street Wise.
You could make a really fun brawler from the SoR IP.

The issue is though, that people are clamouring for old Sega IPs because what else do we have?
They don't make new IPs anymore, and when they do they mothball them (Valk becomes a portable exclusive and not as good as the first, Bayonetta becomes persona non grata and Nintendo has to save the sequel, Jack Lumber 2 will never happen at this rate, Yakuza never gets translated unless Sony foots the bill etc).

And they aren't beyond bringing back old IPs in fun ways, OutRun and Afterburner for example.

Either way, there's more money in endless Total War games, Football Management sims and FREEMIUM APPS, so wateva

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #573 on: May 26, 2015, 12:49:12 pm »
Bringing back and IP doesn't have to mean making it play with the limitations of a 1980's arcade machine though. It also doesn't mean you have to make it into Street Wise.
You could make a really fun brawler from the SoR IP.

The issue is though, that people are clamouring for old Sega IPs because what else do we have?
They don't make new IPs anymore, and when they do they mothball them (Valk becomes a portable exclusive and not as good as the first, Bayonetta becomes persona non grata and Nintendo has to save the sequel, Jack Lumber 2 will never happen at this rate, Yakuza never gets translated unless Sony foots the bill etc).

And they aren't beyond bringing back old IPs in fun ways, OutRun and Afterburner for example.

Either way, there's more money in endless Total War games, Football Management sims and FREEMIUM APPS, so wateva

I don't need Jack Lumber 2. I heard something like it cost Sega 60 Million to perfect the chop physics. Revolutionary for its time but a sequel now just wouldn't look as good. It would be too expensive to bring it to modern lumberjack gameplay standards.

I'm pretty psyched for Jack Lumber: Prepare to Die Edition though with all the custom Logs DLC. I can finally play this on my PC in 1080p/60 fps bitches.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #574 on: May 27, 2015, 02:45:17 pm »
I think you misunderstood everything I said, every generation of consoles SEGA drops and makes new IPs. That was my point, not that they made sequels within the generation. Is it that hard to understand?

More or less what every corp does ... My trouble isn't SEGA making new IP , its SEGA Japan being so lame ..

Streets of Rage happen like 4 generations ago, why bring it back? I personally don't want 'Streets of Rage: Street Wise

Haven't the 1st clue what you are on about . I've never asked SEGA for a SOR IV since the Saturn days - That was the time to make a 2D SOR IV imo and I was never one who ever wanted a 3D Streets Or Rage even back in the DC days ....

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #575 on: June 07, 2015, 02:19:27 pm »
It's going to be announced at E3 for sure, 100% no backsies.

https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/603154768022736896

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #576 on: June 08, 2015, 03:56:17 am »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #577 on: June 08, 2015, 04:09:21 am »
I know, TA, I've seen those articles and don't doubt that they exist, but ultimately I do doubt their veracity. As for the matter of a Sonic III marketing budget of $20 million, well.. Halo 3 famously had a marketing budget of $10 million in 2007 dollars. So I would file that Sonic III figure under the category of absurd exaggeration as well.

Also have a look at how much Bioshock Infinite cost 2k to make and push . $100 Million to make the game even though its was using 3rd party engine and middleware  and then another $100 to push the game .

$200 on one game and a basic FPS at that. Kind of makes Shenmue 1 and II look cheap and easy in comparsion
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Ryudo

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #578 on: June 09, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »
Given up on the idea. I would like them to test the waters with a HD released on PSN,XBL and Eshop for Shenmue 1 and 2 first.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #579 on: June 13, 2015, 10:38:01 pm »
Yu Suzuki definitely supports the making of Shenmue III.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgpflc_support-the-twitter-accounts-of-yu-suzuki-shenmue-fans_videogames

The problem is that Sega thinks it will not be profitable, even though they are wrong.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #580 on: June 14, 2015, 12:26:59 pm »

It's finally happening.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #581 on: June 14, 2015, 12:31:25 pm »
Believe people. B E L I E V E

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #582 on: June 14, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »
I hate to kill the buzz (I REALLY do), but, well,

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #583 on: June 14, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »
I think we all knew that. Just having a bit of fun ;)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #584 on: June 14, 2015, 02:08:58 pm »
Shenmue.com Webservers were updated this month to deal with high volume traffic.