Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723198 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #1800 on: April 29, 2012, 05:07:28 pm »
LA Noire is a very special case.

You always have that one guy in a message board that complains that something like Red Dead Redemption is so repetitive, which is not. Nothing can be further than the truth. RDR is THE sandbox game.

LA Noire, on the other hand, is sandbox-ish in a way, you have a huge world, but you barely do anything between visiting locations. It's more like a classic Point n Click video game, yet more accessable to a mainstream audience, kinda like Shenmue was in it's time.

But... While the game does have some very good parts, the writing's great, music and all that jazz. The one thing that kinda sucks is the main protagonist, he's got a serious case of "generic or bland character". Some characters are like this. You either not have him say anything, but since interrogations are an integral of it, Cole Phelps has to talk.

This is where the game is starting to not make sympathetic to this character. You see, so much time is spent on the individual stories from each of the episodes that it feels like they forgot to add something to Cole Phelps.

Specially here when [spoiler]We barely go into his backstory. We get tiny glimpses of his time serving in World War II, but nothing substantial or pertinent to the cases. I only found out through dialogue that Cole is married and has two daugthers. The wive only shows up at the end of one major case in which many of Cole's former collegues were involved in a gang war with a major mob boss, she shows up only to ask for a divorce. Why? Because of his bizarre, out-of-nowhere one night stand he had with a german lounge singer was discovered by his partner.
[/spoiler]

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1801 on: May 04, 2012, 12:24:46 pm »
I finally beat Final Fantasy XII, so I'm onto smaller and shorter things. Namely Sonic Generations :D. I'm already around halfway through the main levels. I can't get over how fantastic this game is. Hearing all the remixes from the classic songs has been the best.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1802 on: May 04, 2012, 05:59:46 pm »
Finished LA Noire. Started off strong, but the ending was very dissapointing.

Finished Binary Domain in 3 days. VERY IMPRESSED!

Now I'm just playin' a bit of Spiral Knights.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1803 on: May 07, 2012, 10:25:28 am »
I've made a decent amount of progress in Sonic Generations.
I love the fact that S ranks are more attainable now. It gives me much more incentive to acutally try for them. The little warning signs around bottomless pits are a much appreciated addition.
I just finished up the level from Sonic '06.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1804 on: May 07, 2012, 06:55:49 pm »
Well, I don't have much to add.

I'll play a bit of Phantasy Star IV here and there. I'm doing some major progress on Star Ocean: The Last Hope. S***, I think I can safely say that it's by the far THE RPG(aside from RoF) for this generation.

Like I said, it's everything Final Fantasy XIII should have been.

Speaking of which, I might put some money down on Final Fantasy XIII-2, but I need a little markdown.

Offline SEGA RedWolf

• Total Meseta: 2
  • SEGA Born
    • Wolfpackcomms Stream
« Reply #1805 on: May 10, 2012, 01:17:32 pm »
Currently playing Valkyria Chronicles, Rayman Origins, and Yakuza 4 all on PS3~ All three are beautiful amazing titles. :D I just finished beating Yakuza 3 on stream a while back and I look forward to the 4th one. Valkyria Chronicles is just a masterpiece and I'm only on Chapter 7.

And lastly, Rayman Origins is a great non-sega title that I think everyone should try. Especially if you are a fan of pretty platformers. This is coming from someone who isn't a Rayman fan too.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1806 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:55 pm »
After taking another brief hiatus from Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I took a while longer to play Batman: Arkham City. Good stuff so far...

Then I proceded to play Spiral Knights only to get super-duper annoyed at the missions which are quite difficult and are testing my patience.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1807 on: May 11, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »
@SEGA RedWolf: Great to hear you're playing Valkyria Chronicles. It certainly is a classic. Try and track down the sequel if you have access to a PSP.

I beat Sonic Generations, and kept playing to get as many S ranks as I could. There's only one that I'm missing, and I don't see myself getting it anytime soon. The problem is, I just don't like Planet Whisp with classic Sonic. The purple whisp power is really frustrating to use with all the jumping involved.
I really loved the ending movies in the game though. I'll make sure to pick it up again soon, and try and track down some more of those red rings.

I also beat Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow this morning. There were a few areas of the castle that I didn't make it in to, but I managed to get the best ending.

I tried to get back into Dead Space, so I could get it back to my friend, but I just can't seem to get into it. I've only got about 3 hours clocked in it, but any time I play it, it just feels like it takes forever. The entire game seems to be: "go hit this switch over there"...."Good. Now go hit that next switch". In between that, things will pop out and try to kill you. I like the visual presentation, but I just can't get into it at all.

So, after about an hour of that, I gave up, and popped in Ico.
I just played the opening, but I'm already enjoying it much more than Dead Space. Practically no music or dialogue, but it seems more interesting because of it.
I hear it's pretty short too, so that's always a plus :).

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1808 on: May 11, 2012, 05:35:15 pm »
Well, after my save file got corrupted I had barely touched Sonic 4: Episode I. Since the new game is coming out next week, I thought I'd get around to finishing it again as quickly as possible. I'm almost done collecting the Chaos Emeralds. Only 2 left... But that Lost Labyrinth... Jesus, especially Act 2. My muscle memory is completely cramped up. I've lost so many lives because of that stupid puzzle that I honestly have no clue how to get around. I know  should lit the torches in a specific order, but come on!

After the fifth time of dying due to time running out, I've moved on to Batman: Arkham City. At first, I was kinda underwhelmed by the game, but were I am right now, I'm loving it [spoiler]I just had an epic clash with Solomon Grundy and kicked The Penguin's butt.[/spoiler]

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1809 on: May 13, 2012, 03:13:33 pm »
Still playing Ico  :)

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1810 on: May 13, 2012, 05:31:58 pm »
Well, you guys might not remember this... but a while ago my Sonic 4: Episode I save game got corrupted.
It was pretty sucky. Up until like two days ago, I had even barely got past Act 1 of the very first stage. This morning I finished up everything! Got all the Chaos Emeralds (the 7th special stage is worse of 'em all, followed closely behind by number 5). To get that one, I replayed the Lost Labyrinth Act 1 stage so many Goddamn times, I couldn't get that song out of my head for a good three hours after finishing the game.

Then I beat the last boss and got the secret ending which teases Metal Sonic. So bring on Episode II!

Meanwhile more Arkham City insanity awaits!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1811 on: May 21, 2012, 10:22:13 am »
Not so much lately since we're almost entering summer holidays. The good weather and occasional schoolwork has kept me busy. But I do occasionally pick up my 3ds and play ocarina of time 3d.

It's the sorta game that never gets old. Isn't hard to pick up, and once you do, quickly hooked back again into it.

I did finish Binary Domain as well since a week ago. [spoiler]Seems the ending does sort of hint to a story that could be built on in a second game. [/spoiler]

Steam has this great system of having groups so whenever I wanna play BD multiplayer and there are no games, I invite everyone I can from the group and surprisingly most are always up for a game. I guess it is sad that the MP for BD is not so active sigh.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1812 on: May 21, 2012, 12:31:25 pm »
Made a bit more progress in Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Professor Layton and the Spectre's Flute.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1813 on: May 21, 2012, 03:44:01 pm »
Oy, where to start:

Batman: Arkham City - Finished the game a couple of days ago. A very good game. Just not GOTY material to be honest. I wish the story had a little more focus, but all in all, it shows that you can make a true sandbox game with Batman. As far as side missions go, the game clearly sets a new standard for these types of quests. They almost feel like their own seperate story.

Asura's Wrath - Watched the first two episodes. That's about it.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Played around a bit, for old time's sake.

Spiral Knights - Not gonna play this one, anytime soon. I'm getting bored with pronto.

Sonic 4: Episode II - Finished the game, collected all the Emeralds, played through the whole game in one go, finished Act 1 in less than a minute. All good.

Bulletstorm - It has some good ideas thrown in, but ultimately it makes for a very forgettable experience. It's also quite deceptive. With so much talk about this game for it's notorious use of profanity and foul language, I gotta tell you, I was unimpressed. The leash mechanic is the game's main selling point and it's easy to understand why. Because the friggin' enemies are bullet sponges, they can take a lot of hits, which force you to use the leash to whip someone and kick'em into whatever you can use in the enviroment as a weapon.

You can hurl people into catcuses, man eating plants, spikes, throw them off cliffs, electric fences,etc.  This will kill them instantely, unlike your actual firearms which feel useless 50% of the time. Sometimes you might get lucky and score a headshot or remove a leg, but for the most part, the leesh does the trick. But to have a powerful shotgun in your hands, fire it and do minimal damage to enemies is counterproductive to what the game is supossed to be about: senseless killing. The character actually gloat about it ingame. It's just that the game design gimps that feeling.

I'll be moving on to Duke Nukem Forever...

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1814 on: May 22, 2012, 10:35:25 am »
Sonic 4: Episode II - Finished the game, collected all the Emeralds, played through the whole game in one go, finished Act 1 in less than a minute. All good.

Good job sir :D