Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723208 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2130 on: August 03, 2013, 06:53:27 pm »
Well, I managed to get quite a lot done in Fable III. In this specific part of the game, I am now the actual King of Albion and now I have the power to make serious decisions which can either help the townspeople and/or let the treasury empty-handed, so looks like my decision to rebuild a certain town has left me with a friggin' huge debt!

At least now, after the game spent countless hours dragging me along a linear path, I now have the ability to go crazy and do my own thing until the time comes! Explore everywhere, do quests and essentially try to have wealth.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2131 on: August 03, 2013, 11:10:46 pm »
Just finished playing Resident Evil for the umpteenth time. I've been trying to beat it in under 3 hours so I could win the rocket launcher with infinite ammo. I had done it several times on the PlayStation, but that was ages ago....I wanted to do it on Saturn.

Finally, after a few years of trying, I've done it. It feels good. Like before, I memorized the layout, every enemy, every item, etc. Felt like a dick because I decided to sacrifice Jill. Thankfully, I came in just under 3 hours. 2hrs 59min 57sec to be precise. I FEEL AWESOME!

That was me with RE3, no joke, beat that game like 10 times.

I've been playing some Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2 on the Wii U, don't care for playing it with the gamepad though, it's too big for fighters. Also picked up the Last of Us, so i'll start that up really soon.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2132 on: August 04, 2013, 04:20:01 pm »
I've mostly been playing Tekken Revolution with Asuka as my main.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #2133 on: August 04, 2013, 04:32:21 pm »
That was me with RE3, no joke, beat that game like 10 times.

Kudos to you, man, because it took forever for me to beat Resident Evil 3. Then having to play it over and over again just to see the epilogues was a chore. Still a fun game, but - fuck - was it exhausting.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2134 on: August 04, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »
Yep, a break from Saint's Row: The Third is just what the doctor ordered. Now I feel I can enjoy the others games just a bit more.

Namely Fable III, I admit that the game had me annoyed for a while, because it was pretty much a linear adventure and didn't have the same sense of wonder and exploration as it's predecesor, but I have to admit that after that initial bad taste, it's starting to grow on me.

One thing that the game gets right is how Reaver is portrayed. Reaver in Fable II was an undeveloped character, namely because he was introduced so late in the game and was pretty much a jerk. This one is devilishly bad! And in a good kind of way, even when he does good deeds, he still finds some room to make cynical and sarcastic remarks. There was one decision that I wish I had sided with him.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2135 on: August 05, 2013, 10:50:13 am »
Kudos to you, man, because it took forever for me to beat Resident Evil 3. Then having to play it over and over again just to see the epilogues was a chore. Still a fun game, but - fuck - was it exhausting.

The one RE game that i thought was a complete chore was RE: 0. My god, i had to force myself to beat it, i just couldn't find a single thing that i liked about that game. I've been every main entry RE game including Code Veronica with the exception of RE6. I got it as a bday gift almost a year ago and never played it because of all the bad things i heard about it.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #2136 on: August 06, 2013, 03:09:07 pm »
The one RE game that i thought was a complete chore was RE: 0. My god, i had to force myself to beat it, i just couldn't find a single thing that i liked about that game. I've been every main entry RE game including Code Veronica with the exception of RE6. I got it as a bday gift almost a year ago and never played it because of all the bad things i heard about it.

I never even beat Zero. I just couldn't get into it. There were some good ideas, though they proved irritating. I thought being able to drop shit wherever I want would be fantastic, but it just made back-tracking an even greater necessity. That's always been a bit of a sore spot for me in those early entries. With Zero, it was damn near constant.

Another reason I couldn't get into, I think, is because I had already played the fuck out of RE2 for PlayStation and Nintendo 64, as well as RE3, Veronica and Resident Evil for the GameCube. I was all exhausted. Took me forever to finally pick up and play through RE4.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2137 on: August 06, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »
So just finished Fable III... It's come full circle. The game was off to a dissapointing start, had a strong middle and in the end, had a bittersweet ending. While less of a cop out that was Fable II's ending (which was basically, you've made several far reaching decisions but in the end you only have three choices to make, none of them good and that's that).

The first act of Fable III is very linear, you are forced into a narrow path without much room and the pay-off feels mild, the second act is where the real meat starts, you are the King and there are several missions that you must undertake in order to secure the kingdom's wealth and if you don't want to the Royal decisions just yet, you can explore, gain wealth and do several good(or bad) deeds and missions.

The 2nd act is exactly how long you want it to be, because rushing through it, you will simply find yourself thrust almost immediately to the third and final act which is over way too quickly.

Fable III's decisions are final and carry through till the very end and much like Fable II, once is done, it's done. In all of my adventures, all of my main allies survived, but at great cost to the general population.

But sad to say, overall, while Fable III outranks it's predecessor on plot, characters and such, the game world feels so much smaller, the quests feel repetitive (fetch item X, dig up scroll Y, find item Z) and I end up feeling more like an errand boy rather than an actual King, let alone a proper Hero. And I never was in danger in Fable III, why because it's too darn easy! And that Sanctuary... let's do a away with a simple menu and instead create an overly complicated room that seems even more restricted.

It's true that the option of choice also gets mangled in Fable II, but that game had a larger world, the plot was generally passable, hence why quests and side missions where much more interesting in that version and it generally felt that I could be my own adventurer and it felt like I was making a difference in my own way.

But once again, I don't think there are any QA testers at Lionhead Studios. There are massive slowdowns in places where NOTHING is happening! The small quests are also very hit and miss, when I want to befriend a character, they ask me to do something for them (fetch this, deliver letter to that person, buy me something), that darn glowing trail simply forgets to clearly point me to whichever direction the item is located. This is frustrating to no end. Fortunately no major story quests were broken which were a somewhat regular occurence in Fable II.

All in all, Fable III was once again an attempt to correct Fable II's shortcomings, but it chose instead to dumb down the gameplay and be play it extremely safe. I guess the ultimate insult is that even in the end, your choices are inconsequential.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2138 on: August 07, 2013, 10:52:21 am »
I never even beat Zero. I just couldn't get into it. There were some good ideas, though they proved irritating. I thought being able to drop shit wherever I want would be fantastic, but it just made back-tracking an even greater necessity. That's always been a bit of a sore spot for me in those early entries. With Zero, it was damn near constant.

Another reason I couldn't get into, I think, is because I had already played the fuck out of RE2 for PlayStation and Nintendo 64, as well as RE3, Veronica and Resident Evil for the GameCube. I was all exhausted. Took me forever to finally pick up and play through RE4.

That was the biggest issue i had with RE: 0 as well. Dropping items everywhere really pissed me off, i would've preferred the item stache/box instead. I just kept forgetting where i dropped stuff that i needed, way too much backtracking. It took me a while to get into RE4 as well, initially, i wasn't too happy about the 3rd person over the shoulder view, but eventually i got over it. I was just used to playing old school RE games and till this day prefer the old shit angles.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #2139 on: August 07, 2013, 01:14:21 pm »
That was the biggest issue i had with RE: 0 as well. Dropping items everywhere really pissed me off, i would've preferred the item stache/box instead. I just kept forgetting where i dropped stuff that i needed, way too much backtracking. It took me a while to get into RE4 as well, initially, i wasn't too happy about the 3rd person over the shoulder view, but eventually i got over it. I was just used to playing old school RE games and till this day prefer the old shit angles.

Exactly! I appreciate that they tried to spice up the formula, but it was far too frustrating. What really bothered me with RE4, aside from the dramatic shift in perspective, was that they had seemingly wiped Umbrella out of existence during the fucking prologue. Both Nemesis and Code Veronica had ended with our cast looking to take the fight to Umbrella in a big way. I really thought something epic was going to go down. However, in RE4, they just toss that all aside and go their own way. I was pissed. Although, it was a damn good game, once I got past all that nonsense.

I still prefer the original and RE2. The cinematic angles, tank controls and B-movie acting. That's my Resident Evil.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2140 on: August 07, 2013, 03:07:26 pm »
Exactly! I appreciate that they tried to spice up the formula, but it was far too frustrating. What really bothered me with RE4, aside from the dramatic shift in perspective, was that they had seemingly wiped Umbrella out of existence during the fucking prologue. Both Nemesis and Code Veronica had ended with our cast looking to take the fight to Umbrella in a big way. I really thought something epic was going to go down. However, in RE4, they just toss that all aside and go their own way. I was pissed. Although, it was a damn good game, once I got past all that nonsense.

I still prefer the original and RE2. The cinematic angles, tank controls and B-movie acting. That's my Resident Evil.

I always said Code Veronica should've been RE4 and RE4 should've been a spin-off. Only because RE4 hardly had anything to do with the storyline. I thought RE4 was great as well, once you got over the controls n such, it was a lot of fun. It's just a shame that it was the first step into destroying RE forever.

My all time favorite RE is definitely RE2, i still can't get enough of that game, i've beaten it a ton of times. There are very few of us that still prefer the old controls to the new ones, haha.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #2141 on: August 07, 2013, 07:18:14 pm »
I always said Code Veronica should've been RE4 and RE4 should've been a spin-off. Only because RE4 hardly had anything to do with the storyline. I thought RE4 was great as well, once you got over the controls n such, it was a lot of fun. It's just a shame that it was the first step into destroying RE forever.

My all time favorite RE is definitely RE2, i still can't get enough of that game, i've beaten it a ton of times. There are very few of us that still prefer the old controls to the new ones, haha.

If I remember correctly, Code Veronica was supposed to be Resident Evil 3, but Capcom had made a deal where numbered releases would land on PlayStation while subtitled entries would wind up on other consoles. I'm not sure. It's been awhile since I talked about evil. Hahaha!

However, I agree, Code Veronica felt like a true continuation over Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 5 was fun, though the story's a convoluted mess. They were trying to pick up where 4 left off while addressing the whole Umbrella conspiracy they had tossed by the wayside. It's just confusing. I'm afraid to even pick up Resident Evil 6.

I hear you, bro. When I reviewed the Saturn version of Biohazard, some of my subscribers were like, "Dude, how could you? The controls suck ass! They always have!" Admittedly, it would've been nice if I had been able to run and shoot - like Deep Fear - but it the controls totally work. If they were as broken as seemingly so many gamers claim, I doubt the franchise would have survived long beyond Resident Evil 2.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2142 on: August 10, 2013, 07:51:33 am »
So... I got myself back into The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, it's a sequel to Sherlock Holmes vs Jack The Ripper.
The original was actually quite refreshing, short but refreshing. And also had an annoying game breaking glitch that made me go back and do the whole game again!

But this one, I have to say, a massive improvement over the original. The voice actor who does Sherlock Holmes is still trying desperately sound like the late Jeremy Brentt and failing miserably.
But everything else, the clue hunting, asking questions, deductions, examination and such... it's almost L.A. Noire-ish(minus the graphic fidelity, of course), it's surprisingly violent (why is this only PEGI 16?). One thing that's interesting is that much like the previous games, you have to play a couple of somewhat "simple" puzzle games. You now have the option to skip them if you fail a certain number of times.

But much like LA Noire, it's a game that has to played in very small chuncks, because much like most of the point n click avdenture games of this kind, there will come a time where you start getting frustrated.

Anyway, I think I'll have a go at Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2, so I'll bust it out today!

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #2143 on: August 12, 2013, 03:25:15 am »
Finished Shining Force 3 Scenario 1, and couldn't get my Saturn to read translated CDR of Scenario 2, so I started playing Shinng Wisdom instead.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2144 on: August 12, 2013, 05:25:23 pm »
Well... Turns out I'm just not in the mood to play Dragon Quest right now. I did however, try out Resident Evil: Revelations, the HD "upgraded remake" for Xbox 360/PS3/PC/Wii U.

To say that it's an "upgrade", it's kind of a stretch. The game engine feels a little bit Resident Evil 5-ish. It's a little more modest in it's presentation. Less Michael Bay, closer to home.