Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723181 times)

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2475 on: April 20, 2015, 05:23:47 pm »
Recently finished Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Toki for the Nes. Robin Hood is a surprisingly decent movie tie-in with a balanced blend of gameplay modes and RPG elements sprinkled in to boot. The password system is one of the most flawed i've seen though. The passwords only return you to where you left off while your level resets to 1 and you lose all your items. Since you acquire a special weapon early on that's needed to beat one of the final bosses it's more prudent to beat the game in a single playthrough.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2476 on: April 22, 2015, 08:21:59 am »
I played a bit of MonsterBag and Sayonara Umihara Kawase + on the vita last night.

MonsterBag was one of this month's free PS+ games, so I downloaded it without knowing anything about it really. I was just going to delete it to clear some space for Umihara Kawase, but decided to try it out.
I ended up being pretty impressed. I don't think it'll be a super long game, but the art style is really cool. It's kind of like playing through and Adult Swim cartoon in the form of a puzzle game. The whole point is to jump from one person to the next to get across the screen. You solve little point and click type puzzles along the way, and avoid being seen. That's about it. It has a ton of personality though, so I'd really recommend checking it out if you have a Vita.

Umihara Kawase's pretty interesting too. The Vita version comes with a port of the latest 3DS release, along with the original Super Famicom game. I gave both a shot, and they remind me a lot of the Klonoa games on GBA. Almost more of a puzzle game than a platformer. It's mostly about figuring out how to get to the stage door using the tools at your disposal.
Instead of inflating enemies and tossing them around (like Klonoa), you're swinging around using a fishing pole that works a lot like the arm in Bionic Commando.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2477 on: April 24, 2015, 03:06:33 am »
Currentely playing the last chapter of Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

There are some flaws that are hard to forgive in this game. Difficulty spikes is one of them. Some enemies are super-hard to beat as they have been designed to be bullet sponges. At first the whole "controlling 2 characters at the same time" thing is a little clunky in the first episode but it gets really good episode 2 onwards. A bit of a sticking point for me is that Capcom really went out of their way to make Moira Burton one of the most unlikeable protagonists of the entire Resident Evil franchise.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2478 on: April 26, 2015, 08:04:56 am »
Kind of hit a difficulty wall with Umihara Kawase, so I finished up the third chapter of Telltale's Jurassic Park game.
Some great moments, and terrible slowdown.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2479 on: April 27, 2015, 04:09:48 am »
So I just finished Resident Evil Revelations 2 .

I was like wtf when I saw the ending that felt abrupt, but then I discovered that I got a "Bad Ending". I'll give it another go asap because the game is pretty short. I'm playing one of the side stories in which you control Moria Burton and it's a series of clever mini-games.

But my overall impression 'bout this game? It's about the same as I had with the original RE Revelations. The original game was an HD port from a 3DS game, this one was built from the ground up. It has some interesting ideas (introduction of stealth, controlling two characters at the same time to solve puzzles and overcome more complex challenges, crafting items on the spot,etc), the monsters are actually pretty creepy this time around.

Now the bad: While both campaigns had their moments, Barry's campaign was overall the strongest, partly because Moira Burton was unlikeable through most of the adventure: she is always cursing and bitching 'bout everything. At best, it's distracting, at worst it's grating!

I put game aside for a couple of days, so I can plow through Saint's Row: Gat Out of Hell.

Played it for 'bout 3 hours, for what it is, it's a small game that reskins Steelport as Hell and it's all about doing activities and those major mini-games (Mayhem, Fraud, Survival, etc). You can play as Gat or McKinsie which are by far my favorite characters in the series. One major flaw: No clothes stores. I don't understand why you can't dress up those characters like you did in previous games.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2480 on: April 28, 2015, 02:44:25 pm »
I'm playing RER2 as well. As much as i hate to say it, i'm sorta bored with it, but i will finish the damn thing. Moira is a shit character, for sure.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2481 on: April 29, 2015, 08:43:06 am »
I'm finally playing through Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Apparently, the last time I saved the game was almost 3 years ago :-/.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2482 on: April 29, 2015, 09:36:05 am »
I'm finally playing through Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Apparently, the last time I saved the game was almost 3 years ago :-/.

Hahaha it's always weird going to old games and finding old save files. I should boot up the Saturn one day and see what my last game from Shining Force III was. Probably near the turn of the century...

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2483 on: April 29, 2015, 11:19:42 am »
Hahaha it's always weird going to old games and finding old save files. I should boot up the Saturn one day and see what my last game from Shining Force III was. Probably near the turn of the century...

Hard to believe some games are that old...

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2484 on: April 29, 2015, 11:28:15 am »
Last time i went to my saturn after not using it for a long time, all save files had dissapeared cuz of some battery or something like that. Shining force was also one among of them *sigh. Should restart it one day

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2485 on: April 29, 2015, 11:44:02 am »
Last time i went to my saturn after not using it for a long time, all save files had dissapeared cuz of some battery or something like that. Shining force was also one among of them *sigh. Should restart it one day

Fun story: My Sega Saturn NEVER had a working battery and I could NEVER save anything to the system itself. I thought this was by design and you needed a memory card to save anything for the longest time.

It wasn't bad because all the games I owned before I got a memory card were arcadey games anyway.

Hard to believe some games are that old...

It's crazy isn't it? Even Crazy Taxi is 15 years old already, or thereabouts. Been playing the steam version (with the music modded back in) and I can hardly believe it. That's got to be one of the best games ever made, it's so much fun.

I'm trying to crack the old scores I used to get on Dreamcast of like 7k or something. I think Gus is the best, he doesn't get knocked around by traffic as much as the others.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2486 on: April 29, 2015, 01:23:17 pm »
I'm trying to crack the old scores I used to get on Dreamcast of like 7k or something. I think Gus is the best, he doesn't get knocked around by traffic as much as the others.

I managed to crack the 10k score a few times on the Gamecube version, but only on the Arcade level. I'm pretty sure B.D. Joe was my main character.
No chance that I could get even close to that now. It was one of my only Gamecube games for months, so I played it pretty obsessively. Finishing the Crazy Box mode is still one of my all-time gaming achievements.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2487 on: April 29, 2015, 01:44:14 pm »
I managed to crack the 10k score a few times on the Gamecube version, but only on the Arcade level. I'm pretty sure B.D. Joe was my main character.
No chance that I could get even close to that now. It was one of my only Gamecube games for months, so I played it pretty obsessively. Finishing the Crazy Box mode is still one of my all-time gaming achievements.

I feel like I once got $17k or something outrageous, but I can't prove it unless I go back home and check my Dreamcast Saves. I want to beat $10k again sometime at least.

Crazy box was nuts, such a great feature for the home game. I hope they release Crazy Taxi 2 sometime on PC as well. Not as good as the original in my eyes, but still amazing.

Did you know the 'overdrive' thing? Where you got the extra boost after the Crazy Dash?

EDIT: Ah here it is: Limiter Cut!
http://www.crazytaxi.net/skills.html

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:50:30 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2488 on: April 30, 2015, 07:28:05 am »
Yeah. I got to the point where I was reasonably reliable with it. The extra click of the Gamecube triggers helped a bit with my timing I think.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2489 on: April 30, 2015, 05:02:39 pm »
And I finished Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell. Yep, it's ubber short. Basically do just enough activities that'll unlock the few custcenes in this game, defeat Satan and get one of the 4 endings.

Guess I'll move on to other games now... Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII just happened to arrive today. A JRPG would hit the spot right now.