Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723196 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2580 on: July 15, 2015, 08:21:10 am »
Oh, yeah, I acknowledge that and agree, it's just some of them felt really cheap with things like enemies being placed right at the top of a ledge - making it impossible to not get hit or die. Sonic 3 seemed to have less of that and more brick walls that you hit which slowed you down instead. Sonic CD had an annoying level of springs that put the control completely out of use as you were sent hurdling back.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2581 on: July 15, 2015, 09:59:19 am »
Been playing a couple of games.

Went back to Darksiders and im really liking it. I like the unexpected flkw better than Zelda, where theres more of a pattern.

Also Mario and Luigi dream team on the 3ds. Looks can be deceiving, but these mario jrpgs are one of the best in the genre. The music has always been mostly silly with a couple of ones that stood out. But this one has surprised me with its soundtrack so far.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2582 on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:35 am »
I agree Sonic CD's level design was just not good. I can understand being rewarded with high speeds for memorizing levels, but when the speed is a BIG part of the functionality of the game, it shouldn't be so damn hard to get it. In other Sonic games, I think it's fine (as fine as I think that practice in console design is, which is not very), but for CD it practically kills the game for me.

Oh and Collision Chaos was just a sinful level. I hated every minute of it, it actually made my anxiety start acting up.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2583 on: July 15, 2015, 11:29:08 am »
Is that the one where springs are quite literally everywhere towards the middle of the level?

Offline Moody

« Reply #2584 on: July 15, 2015, 11:42:26 am »
Springs, bumpers, you name it, along with the agonizingly pink background (and I LOVE pink so saying it's agonizing is something) made it not only extremely disorienting, but also kind of sickening.

Truth be told, I don't think Sonic's for me. I have too many different design philosophies to really jive with it, I like 3D slightly more, but I'm largely indifferent to the series. Not to mention, playing 2D Sonic for too long leaves me nauseous, so it's literally sickening to play.

If a game isn't just meh for me (like Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure), then I think it's downright awful (like Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure 2). The only game I've thought was great was Generations. But since I'm on this thread...

I did pick up Sonic Advance 2 at the behest of a recent article about good SEGA GBA games, and I think it's okay. Again, my dislike of Sonic's general design keeps me from thinking it's that good, but for a portable game, I can say it's alright.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:46:05 am by Moody »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2585 on: July 15, 2015, 01:02:06 pm »
Sonic CD is the kind of game where its just fun to mess in a stage instead of aiming towards the end of the level. But yeah the level design isnt that good lol.

Sonic 1 all day err day tho  :afroman: I think if you pay attention real well at the synergy of all mechanics with its level design in sonic 1 you might appreciate it a bit more instead of looking at it from, its a slow sonic game(like most do unfortunatly).

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2586 on: July 15, 2015, 05:36:14 pm »
Been playing a couple of games.

Went back to Darksiders and im really liking it. I like the unexpected flkw better than Zelda, where theres more of a pattern.

Also Mario and Luigi dream team on the 3ds. Looks can be deceiving, but these mario jrpgs are one of the best in the genre. The music has always been mostly silly with a couple of ones that stood out. But this one has surprised me with its soundtrack so far.

Nice, never really got into Darksiders 1, if you're enjoying that one, you'll love 2. I never got around to finishing 2, but i plan to sometime, it's a lot of fun.

Sonic 2 was the best. =)
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Tad

« Reply #2587 on: July 16, 2015, 12:39:26 am »
Springs, bumpers, you name it, along with the agonizingly pink background (and I LOVE pink so saying it's agonizing is something) made it not only extremely disorienting, but also kind of sickening.

Truth be told, I don't think Sonic's for me. I have too many different design philosophies to really jive with it, I like 3D slightly more, but I'm largely indifferent to the series. Not to mention, playing 2D Sonic for too long leaves me nauseous, so it's literally sickening to play.

If a game isn't just meh for me (like Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure), then I think it's downright awful (like Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure 2). The only game I've thought was great was Generations. But since I'm on this thread...

I did pick up Sonic Advance 2 at the behest of a recent article about good SEGA GBA games, and I think it's okay. Again, my dislike of Sonic's general design keeps me from thinking it's that good, but for a portable game, I can say it's alright.

Have you tried something like Banjo Kazooie instead? Hopefully you won't have motion sickness with that.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2588 on: July 16, 2015, 07:31:58 am »
If a game isn't just meh for me (like Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure), then I think it's downright awful (like Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure 2). The only game I've thought was great was Generations.

With every post I read, it's like... it's like someone created the polar opposite of me when you were born. It's rather fascinating.

You're alright though.

I haven't been playing a damn thing for the last two weeks. Will get back to MGS2 next week when I've got the place to myself again.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2589 on: July 17, 2015, 12:31:16 am »
Nice, never really got into Darksiders 1, if you're enjoying that one, you'll love 2. I never got around to finishing 2, but i plan to sometime, it's a lot of fun.

Sonic 2 was the best. =)
Yup that's the plan. Hope I finish the game soon. Had been going on and off with it and stopped a long time, but I got back into it now. Game gets better along the way.

After Darksiders im planning to either start with Elder scrolls oblivion or Fallout 3? What do ya'll think I should play first?

Offline Moody

« Reply #2590 on: July 17, 2015, 01:41:19 am »
Have you tried something like Banjo Kazooie instead? Hopefully you won't have motion sickness with that.

I've tried Banjo, but have never sunk any time past the first couple levels in. I blame it more on picking it up at the wrong times than the game itself. I've had an N64 for a while, and I've been considering picking it up but I just haven't had that much interest. It definitely seems like something I'd bee into. And it's not really video games in general or even platformers that make me sick, it's just 2D Sonic. I dunno what's up with it, I've never heard of it happening with anyone else. Not even other 2D platformers do it. It's weird.

With every post I read, it's like... it's like someone created the polar opposite of me when you were born. It's rather fascinating.

You're alright though.

Heh, I've never gotten that before. I'll take it as a compliment, thank you.

After Darksiders im planning to either start with Elder scrolls oblivion or Fallout 3? What do ya'll think I should play first?

Tough call. Of course, we all know Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games, but Oblivion's definitely got merits. It's aged really weirdly though, like not in a bad way, but looking at later Bethesda games, it really sticks out. But I will say that everything that was bad about Morrowind (travelling, combat, levelling, graphics, etc.) was fixed by Oblivion, and it has some very entertaining quests and questlines (Dark Brotherhood comes to mind, but the others aren't huge slouches either). ESPECIALLY the Deadric quests, those are a highlight. The DLC's pretty meh though.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2591 on: July 17, 2015, 02:28:23 pm »
Yup that's the plan. Hope I finish the game soon. Had been going on and off with it and stopped a long time, but I got back into it now. Game gets better along the way.

Hmm.. Well considering how i thought Oblivion was one of the most boring games i had ever played, i would say go with Fallout. I've never actually played one, but i've heard great things.

I'm contemplating what to play after Alien on XOne. I think my Wii U needs some love.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2592 on: July 21, 2015, 04:30:40 pm »
I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 again after a huge hiatus. Gotten a little used to the ubber pixelated graphics.

I've also tried out Phantasy Star Online 2. Since the localized version from Playpark / Asiasoft now allows acess to all IPs, I decided to try it out: 14 gigabytes later and two hours worth of tweaking specs and installing patches, I have to say that it looks OK.

The Tutorial section has it's own built-in story mode and the character creation is arguably one of the better ones out there. Other than that, it just seems like a PSO with better graphics and a different HUD.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2593 on: July 22, 2015, 12:15:33 am »
Finished episode 5 of Telltale's Game of Thrones.

Despite not liking GoT, like there Walking dead series, I was hoping they'd do something good with it. But, it turns out to be the worst episode I've ever seen from them. They've completely ruined ever plan we've been building on during the season with cheap, shoddy writing and choices that should never of happened as the characters knew it was a trap to begin with.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2594 on: July 22, 2015, 08:45:13 pm »
Shadow Man (N64) - Owned this game for years and could never get into it. Last week I decided to give it another go and it took. One of the best experiences I've had on the N64 in a while. Although the disturbing content is tame by today's standards, the deep gameplay, compelling atmosphere and ambient soundtrack make this one of Acclaim's better efforts.