Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723210 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #1695 on: January 11, 2012, 08:29:32 pm »
I just finished DEUS ex: Human revolution. This was such a crazy experience that the ending has left me a bit astonished. The story touches on so many realistic subjects that have to do with how technoligy can ruin ones life and ruin humanity. It does this in such a fine way that it even becomes a little bit political. People try to push themselves, but is that always the right thing? Others try to abuse said technoligy and they even bring the....
Spoilers ahead
[spoiler]Illuminati in the whole thing. Saying that the illuminati will have control over all humanity with the new technoligy etc. The creator of the augmentations ends up being upset about what he has created, and decides to spread a virus that infects every humans augmentation to make them kill each other and remove all trace of what he has created. [/spoiler]

Such an awesome game, did you stay until after the credits? If not, youtube it. It makes more sense if you played the original, which is still better than Human Revolution I think.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1696 on: January 12, 2012, 06:02:16 am »
It's no wonder that the final part of the game is all in disc 3. The final dungeon is actually pretty straightfoward, despite it being huge, but the amount of cutscenes and their overall duration is just insane.

If I count the 2 hours that it took me to cross the entire dungeon and even the other massive boss fights (because if you're not careful, you'll run into bosses from the previous dungeons, but they aren't as tough), I would say that the other two hours is just me looking at cutscenes.

Not that they were bad or unwatchable(Lord knows there are a lot of cheesy moments within), but it really feels too long. Think of a Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King type of ending that just seems to go on and on...([spoiler] Though the comparisons to Lord of the Rings are spot-on, because when you think about it, the primary antagonists(the Grigori) in the game are something of an abstract entity. When you look at it through Judeo-Christian tones, you'll notice that every major enemy in the game refers itself as "We are the one who is all", it feels like a take on "I am legion, for we are many."[/spoiler] And oddly enough, they are the only cutscenes that you cannot skip, nor the end credits.

Nevertheless, it was a fun and memorable ride. It's not quite Tales of Vesperia-calibur but it's almost up there.

Like I said before, clearly Star Ocean: The Last Hope is the first RPG, nay, the first SquareEnix game in which I had actual fun. I didn't feel like the game was throwing a wrench into my fun factor, but make no mistake, it's not an easy game despite playing it on the lowest difficult. The dungeons, like I said before are a chore to get through, which is stunning when you consider that the game barely has any puzzle, but also a lot of boss fights in particular are tough, because, first, there's no disceranble way to see their life bars. Because when you start plowing the baddies, all you get is how much damage you dish out, but you don't get a sense of how much punishment you're dolling out and the monsters just keep acting the same way, doing their own thing over and over again, with no discernable way of knowing that the monster is dying or something along those lines. A lot of times, I'm actually stunned to see that the boss died because I'm still the same type of attacks and it looks the same.

But nevertheless, despite these issues, it is an awesome game. I would recommend gamers and JRPGs fans to track this one down before the copies vanish.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:21:48 am by max_cady »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1697 on: January 12, 2012, 08:48:18 am »
I beat Child of Eden last night.
Truly amazing stuff. The whole time I couldn't get over the fact that I was playing an honest to goodness sequel to Rez. This is one game I can guarantee that I'll keep coming back to.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1698 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:12 am »
Such an awesome game, did you stay until after the credits? If not, youtube it. It makes more sense if you played the original, which is still better than Human Revolution I think.
I had, and I didn't get it. [spoiler]I think it was about Megan working for a guy named Bill?[/spoiler]

Must've had something to do with the first game, but sadly I can't be bothered to catch up. Games are so time consuming.

Deus Ex is indeed was of the most intriguing games i've played in a long time... Or make that period.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:39:34 am by CrazyTails »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1699 on: January 13, 2012, 03:13:25 am »
^Games are time consuming, but if you liked Human Revolution that much it's worth investing time in the original.
Then again I can explain the link if you like BEWARE SPOILERS! IN white text because I don't know how to spoiler:
Bob Page (not Bill) is the CEO of Versalife (you might remember them being mentioned through the game) a mega corporation that has been researching nano-tech augmentations that come to fruition by the time the first game is set. He also engineered a virus called the 'Grey Death' and spread it through the planet to cull the population and to sell the anti-virus 'Ambrosia'. It's implying basically that he hired Megan to use her to develop the virus. It's also worth noting that he's talking to 'Morgan' most likely Morgan Everett, also in the first game, is a high ranking Illuminati member. After he discovers just what Bob is planning he gets infected with the virus and thrown out of the society.

'Bob' from the ending credits can be seen in the opening credits of the first game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp0DP1O4bs
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:17:07 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1700 on: January 13, 2012, 09:17:37 am »
A friend of mine really wants me to give Dead Space a shot, so he lent me both games as a Christmas present. With Arkham City and Child of Eden completed, I started up the first Dead Space last night. I didn't make it all that far, but it seems interesting so far. As long as I can beat it before Final Fantasy XIII-2 comes out, I'll be happy.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1701 on: January 13, 2012, 06:49:51 pm »
^I played the first Dead Space on PC a couple of years ago, really good horror game. Haven't played the second one, but I'll try it out at some point.

Just finished Uncharted 3. Amazing.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1702 on: January 13, 2012, 06:52:43 pm »
I decided to play Alpha Protocol, for old time's sake... I got pretty bored with it after an hour.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1703 on: January 14, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »
^I played the first Dead Space on PC a couple of years ago, really good horror game. Haven't played the second one, but I'll try it out at some point.

Just finished Uncharted 3. Amazing.
Congrats on beating Uncharted 3 :).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1704 on: January 18, 2012, 10:26:20 am »
Played an hour of Just Cause 2 last night. God, what an amazing game. Story is shit, but the gameplay? Best sandbox game ever.

So I started out on a boat, and then rammed it into a dock and ejected via parachute to land on an airplane. I flew the plane to an island and crashed it into an enemy stronghold, and again ejected via parachute. I landed on a nearby rooftop and sniped a military leader, then swooped down and took their weapon. I hijacked an incoming police car, and drove it to another plane. Flew that plane to an unexplored island and found a military base. I stood atop a mountain and shot out all their fuel tanks til I was out of ammo, then grappled down to grab a dude's gun, then grappled right back up to my little perch and took out the rest of the fuel tanks. Then I skydived off the cliff and into a lake.

Good times.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1705 on: January 18, 2012, 04:08:03 pm »
Got back into Red Dead Redemption, this time I'm playing the Undead Nightmare expansion pack.

And so far, I'm enjoying it. There are a couple of low points, unfortunately.
Missions aren't too different from each other, find missing people and 99 out of 100 times they've been zombified.

A few scares here and there, the biggest WTF moment was hunting down the sasquatch and having a conversation with the last one.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1706 on: January 23, 2012, 06:13:57 pm »
^Games are time consuming, but if you liked Human Revolution that much it's worth investing time in the original.
Then again I can explain the link if you like BEWARE SPOILERS! IN white text because I don't know how to spoiler:
[spoiler]]Bob Page (not Bill) is the CEO of Versalife (you might remember them being mentioned through the game) a mega corporation that has been researching nano-tech augmentations that come to fruition by the time the first game is set. He also engineered a virus called the 'Grey Death' and spread it through the planet to cull the population and to sell the anti-virus 'Ambrosia'. It's implying basically that he hired Megan to use her to develop the virus. It's also worth noting that he's talking to 'Morgan' most likely Morgan Everett, also in the first game, is a high ranking Illuminati member. After he discovers just what Bob is planning he gets infected with the virus and thrown out of the society.[/spoiler]

'Bob' from the ending credits can be seen in the opening credits of the first game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp0DP1O4bs
Hehe, thanks. I read the white text and I think that I have beeen convinced. Gonna have to go through the missing link first. Well I started that allready for a couple of minutes, and I was quite surprised. Is the missing link supposed to be canon?

Anyway yeh the GOTY edition of the first costs 10 euro's on steam so i'm gonna pick that up eventually
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:24:16 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1707 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:15 am »
Still playin' RDR: Undead Nightmare.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1708 on: January 24, 2012, 10:24:40 am »
Playing Skyrim.

Don't tread on me, but I'm playing on Novice difficulty. I don't give a damn, I just love exploring everywhere and collecting shiny new armor, and I hate being suddenly killed by some Snow Troll or something.

So yeah, just breezing by and chillin'.
SEG4GES

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1709 on: January 24, 2012, 11:59:17 am »
Playing Skyrim.

Don't tread on me, but I'm playing on Novice difficulty. I don't give a damn, I just love exploring everywhere and collecting shiny new armor, and I hate being suddenly killed by some Snow Troll or something.

So yeah, just breezing by and chillin'.
No shame in bumping down the difficulty to enjoy a game.  I enjoyed the hell out of God Hand on easy :D.

I spent a good chunk of the weekend playing Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One with my girlfriend.
It's got the odd technical glitch, but it's an overall fantastic game. Really solid multiplayer design. Unlike something like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, where you kind of get through the stages in spite of eachother, All 4 One requires pretty constant teamwork. The do a really good job of integrating team oriented puzzles throughout the whole thing.

If you have anybody to play it through with (online or in person), I'd highly recommend checking it out.