Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723203 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #1770 on: April 08, 2012, 04:41:57 pm »
Shining Force II on the PC.

Started playing it like 3 months ago, but never touched it. Lately I've been playing it and it's as fun as ever.

For a second there, I almost thought it was pretty much a rehash of the original. But it's a completely different beast.
The first game is divided into chapters in which you play only in the designated area of said chapter.
The sequel, however, is the exact opposite. It's free roaming from the get-go, and it's all seamless.

Most important change: New characters are introduced less frequentely in the newer game and there's more variety to them. Not the same 5 recoloured centaurs.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #1771 on: April 08, 2012, 10:33:53 pm »
Xenoblade Chronicles.  8)

I'm not a huge RPG guy, I just dabble when there's reason to dabble, but this game is pretty solid and has massive balls to tell the story the way it has so far. Haven't completely figured out the battle system, but I'm getting there.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1772 on: April 09, 2012, 08:51:32 am »
Xenoblade Chronicles.  8)

I'm not a huge RPG guy, I just dabble when there's reason to dabble, but this game is pretty solid and has massive balls to tell the story the way it has so far. Haven't completely figured out the battle system, but I'm getting there.
Nice to hear people are actually buying it after all the effort to get it localized.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1773 on: April 14, 2012, 02:33:52 pm »
I saw an article on Kotaku sending out a question of, "What are your favourite games that you've never beaten?".
The picture headlining the article was a shot from Mega Man X.

I immediately identified with it, because I consider Mega Man X to be one of my all time favourite games, but after all these years, I've never beaten it. I've never beaten any 2D Mega Man game for that matter (Legends wasn't very tough). I'll usually get hung up on one of the final bosses, accept defeat, and move onto something else.
I figured I'd give it another shot this weekend. I mean, over the past couple years, there were a good chunk of games that I'd finally beaten for the first time. Games that I'd almost finish all throughout my childhood/teens, but never quite finish (Chorno Trigger, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Metroid, and Final Fantasy VI).

Anyway, I've had Mega Man X on the PSP for a long time, and I'd gotten all the way up to Sigma, and kept getting destroyed. I picked it up yesterday, and in around half an hour, I pulled it off without much trouble at all. It took a few tries to get the patterns down, but when I beat it, I still had two full sub-tanks :D.

I'd imagine the game clock would only have a few hours logged, but it's probably taken me closer to 14 years to beat my first Mega Man game. Any games that you guys have always loved, but never managed to finish?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1774 on: April 14, 2012, 03:53:33 pm »
The Gunstringer - a fellow employee won the game at a conference, but since he doesn't have Kinect he gave it to me. It's one of the best rail shooters I've played in a while! Great gimmicks, controls are pretty precise (when you do the duel gunning segments the game sometimes gets your left and right hands confused). Graphics aren't groundbreaking, but they're colorful and fun. I like how they use live video for the theater. Theres also a free DLC mini-game that is a full-on FMV rail shooter. Can't wait to give it a try. Reminds me of Mad Dog McCree which I actually own for the CD-I (lightgun and all!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQkHaO3wcs[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:56:32 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1775 on: April 14, 2012, 05:34:05 pm »
Shining Force II, Shining Force II!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1776 on: April 16, 2012, 04:28:23 pm »
I've been playing el shaddai lately. Ehh if you know nothign about the game, really this is the craziest thing i have ever played in my life. It's like... bayonetta on acid and crack. The whole game is experienced through an abstract world with the most disturbing atmosphere, yet so mellow and ambient. The game is soooo unpredictable, everything just happens out of nowhere with alot of variety. The battle system is very pick up and playable, but with enough depth that does get more as you progress (the moveset)

I really think this is a game that needs more recognition. I really have never seen anything like this, but it reminds me alot of the weird japanese cult hits that used to come out on the saturn and DC. But uhh, on acid that is

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1777 on: April 16, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »
Well, I'm almost... ALMOST at the end of Shining Force II.
I already clocked in 26 hours of gameplay. It's a beast compared to the 8 hours that took me to complete the original game.
Most of my characters are beefed up. And overall, I've enjoyed the story, the open world enviroment enables random battles, which can be good, but can also annoy the heck out you. Because after you reach a certain level, the game caps the EXP points, but you get a ton of cash.

After this I'm going back to my good old Xbox 360. :)

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1778 on: April 16, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »
@CrazyTails: I really wanted to like El Shaddai, but I just couldn't get into the combat in the demo :(. Does the full game have more to it?

I've taken a bit of a break from the main games I've been playing, and spent the past few days cruising through Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.  It's just has fun, and addictive as Symphony of the Night. I'm up to the final boss, but I think I'll do some more exploring to see if I can get some better equipment before I try to take it out.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1779 on: April 17, 2012, 01:28:22 am »
Im with SOUP on ElShaddai, thought I would like it, but the demo gameplay wasnt much fun to me. Is the full game different? I might import it on the cheap if so.

As for playing now, im flying back home today so ill be able to start playing again, and theres a lot to choose from: Yakuza Dead Souls, Mass Effect 3, Ico, Shadow of the Collossus, Fall of the Samurai, and the Assassins Creed Games are all on my priorites...

Im leaning towards Yakuza and Fall of the Samurai I think. Yakuza is something Ive been waiting for for ages, and im definitely hitting up FotS as its the only PC game on the radar.atm

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #1780 on: April 17, 2012, 09:59:17 am »
I never tried the demo so i dont really know what it demonstrates, but if its only the start of the game(blue level), then indeed the start does not portray the rest of how amazing the game is. Really this is the sort of game that gets better and better as you progress. It's when the difficulty starts to rise, forcing you to play better, when the battles start to feel more engaging. I don't know how many weapons the demo has, but I have 3 allready, and all of the weapons make the character function completely different. One weapon makes it able for you to dash/airdash for example, a heavy weapon makes you able to shield better but makes your character slow as a whole.

What really keeps the game interesting is the atmosphere for me. There is literally no emotion except for this evil vibe surrounding you the whole time. Even now i'm playing and probably at 50% in the game, I just keep getting surprised with the most bizarre environments, enemies and bosses. The music is very ambient with that bizarrish touch as well. When I think about the first part of the game as a demo, i can see where you guys are coming from. The first part wasnt what sold me either.

Don't get me wrong though, the game has flaws like the jump/platforming controls which feel especially weird in the 2d environments.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:03:50 am by CrazyTails »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1781 on: April 17, 2012, 03:45:55 pm »
Finished Shining Force II a few minutes ago. Pure gold.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1782 on: April 17, 2012, 05:08:17 pm »
If that's the case, I might have to give El Shaddai another shot if I can find it on clearance or something.

The final boss of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is giving me a lot more trouble than I was expecting. It's not a really tough pattern to memorize, but every hit does a lot of damage, and its HP is through the roof. I'll see if I can track down some better weapons, and give it another go tonight.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1783 on: April 17, 2012, 05:16:42 pm »
Well, started playing Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (PC version)... It's... well... Interesting...

The premise is crazy enough to be in Rayman Origin's leage and this game is nearly 10 years old.

Game runs without a hitch on my Toshiba laptop. Definately gonna keep me busy for a while.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #1784 on: April 17, 2012, 06:25:43 pm »
If that's the case, I might have to give El Shaddai another shot if I can find it on clearance or something.

The final boss of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is giving me a lot more trouble than I was expecting. It's not a really tough pattern to memorize, but every hit does a lot of damage, and its HP is through the roof. I'll see if I can track down some better weapons, and give it another go tonight.
If you're a castlevania fan, i'm sure you are going to love what's gonna be unlocked once finishing that boss (lol hope this motivates you more).

Well about el Shaddai. I wouldn't want it on my consience if you end up not liking the game, but really all i can say is that the beginning is very vague and random. Later in the game there will be a much better flow and alot more action. I understand you wouldnt wanna be spoiled, but maybe looking at some videos may give a better impression as well