Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723209 times)

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #1965 on: November 11, 2012, 03:30:47 pm »
Trying to unlock Koubu Knuckle in Sakura Wars 3 by doing quizzes. It's hell if you have little knowledge of Japanese, but once I unlock it I would be happy with myself. I heard the mode plays like Streets of Rage (No surprise there, since it's developed by the same dudes who made the Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle games.)

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1966 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:38 pm »

Yakuza (PS2)

After what I perceived as the best 4 hours of gameplay I've played this year, because there are a lot and I mean a ton of side-missions, small tidbits, hostesses to impress and date(!?), massage parlor mini-games, thugs to beat up. But then... [spoiler]I go to the Shangri-La Soapland... aka Whore House to find out about Shinji's mistress. This gets me into a massive fight scene with Goro Majima who... as always, is a very confusing villain.

He holds a hostess hostage only to let her go when she admits she has a boyfriend. That was a nice moment. But what grinds my gears is the actual fight. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. His attack pattern is so hectic and unpredictable that I barely have any life left after the floor collapses and we have brawl in the basement. What am I doing wrong? I'm this close to switching over to Easy Mode, because let me tell you. Yakuza has these weird difficulty spikes that just tick me off.
[/spoiler]

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1967 on: November 21, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »
Great to hear you're playing through the first Yakuza man :D. It's a little rough around the edges, but they fix that stuff up in the second one. The story's worth sticking it through.

I've been splitting most of my gaming time between the Vita (Uncharted & Gravity Rush) and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed on the PS3.
I have a feeling that it's going to take me a really long time to unlock all the racers.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #1968 on: November 22, 2012, 07:20:58 am »
All Stars Racing Transformed's World Tour on Expert....I just need 8 stars now! >_<
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1969 on: November 22, 2012, 06:25:05 pm »

YAKUZA (PS2)

And wouldn't ya know it, just as I [spoiler]had beaten Goro Majima at the Shangri-la, little did I know that I was nearing the end of the game.The last two chapters are surprisingly short. More 'bout tommorrow.[/spoiler]

FINAL FANTASY XII

I have but one question, how exactly does this battle system work? It feels more like an MMO, but it's kinda turn-based... I'm an hour into the game and I still have no friggin clue how to play it.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1970 on: November 23, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »

FINAL FANTASY XII

I have but one question, how exactly does this battle system work? It feels more like an MMO, but it's kinda turn-based... I'm an hour into the game and I still have no friggin clue how to play it.

You can freely move around the fight in real time. The fights just pause while you're picking your character actions. You can also swap out team members in the middle of fights.
What parts are you having trouble with?

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #1971 on: November 24, 2012, 12:13:30 am »
Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight for Saturn....

Cannot WAIT to review this fucker. Gonna' be fun.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1972 on: November 24, 2012, 05:17:59 am »
You can freely move around the fight in real time. The fights just pause while you're picking your character actions. You can also swap out team members in the middle of fights.
What parts are you having trouble with?
I think the basic part is common for a final fantasy player, so if ya played a final fantasy game before Max, you'll be familiar with the actions overall.

The complicated part comes in programming your characters to do certain stuff at the right situations. You even have to set the basic attacks because if you don't, you'll have to activate every single action manually every single time. I remember having it set on attack "the closest enemy"

I am talking about the gambit system. This is where you "program" your characters to automatically perform regular actions. The wisest thing is to put healing as 1st priority, and then you set who they'll heal(which I would set to all allies). For example I have cura activated when someones health is below 40%(in game shown as <40%), so whatever they are doing, they'll stop doing it when someones health goes down that 40% which is very handy.

Then you put attack as second priority. So again, because healing is first priority, the characters will instantly stop their actions to heal when someones health is below 40%

That's the basic part but you can do all kinds of stuff with the gambit system. You can purchase many gambits, like the death gambit and have them use revive when someone dies to give another example(this is the one I set as first priority when I bought it)

Also about making money. You don't get money from killing, you have to sell similarly to final fantasy 13.

Anyway, if you read some of my posts in this thread, I've been playing the game as well. Although the learning curve is steep for this game, you'll definitely get the hang of things. Final fantasy 12 is for me one of the best JRPG's i've ever played, so I really recommend it.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:43:43 am by CrazyTails »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1973 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:51 am »
My main problem with Final Fantasy XII per say, is that the game feels like an MMO and fights are engaged in realtime, but what gets to me is how you actually attack an enemy.

You select the "Attack" option from the menu then you have to wait till the bar fills up and then you strike. You don't attack right away as if you are in a proper action RPG.

I often times see a blue line and a red line, I assume that when a blue line appears I can have a better chance of attack, a red line means that I'm going to get attacked.

It's a bit weird, because all I'm doing is selecting the attack button and just waiting around, trying to flank an enemy, but I mean, it's just too weird...

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1974 on: November 25, 2012, 11:35:29 am »
Give it time cady, it will grow on you eventually and you will see the brilliance of it. At least I hope so. I'll be here to read your experience.

Please consider using the gambit system well, because without it, you'll get nowhere. The way you are describing everything to me sounds like how it was to me before I used the gambit feature.

Start simple with these 2 gambits.

1. cure <40% all alies
2. Attack near enemies

for all the 3 characters. If you have those 2, you will have the most used and important actions done automatically. And you can interfere with those manually(when pressing x) whenever you want. As a side note, the gambit does have to be activated in the attack menu (the menu that shows up when pressing x in the field)

... saying all this however, I don't know when you unlock the gambit feature exactly, so i dont know if you already have.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:40:52 am by CrazyTails »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1975 on: November 25, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »
I've been finally introduced to the Gambit system and after two extra hours I sorta get it now. The actions are automated so you can just concentrate on other micro-managing aspects.

In Final Fantasy XIII, you can bump into enemies and it goes into a seperate screen where you queue actions, FF XII, oddly enough, the Gambit system seems a more well thought concept than then the Paradigm Shift from FF XIII, it's basically the easy version of the Gambit system.

So far... [spoiler] I had Vaan infiltrate the castle, with a fairly amusing puzzle sneaking section where you call guards and they will come to your last known location. You can use that to your own advantage. Anyway, Vaan gets into a messy situation with a duo of Sky Pirates, Balthier and Fran. Just as another attempt of the resistance group gets foiled, the trio gets sent into the dungeons and they eventually meet up with Basch, the disgraced soldier who was accussed of killing the king and gutting Vaan's big brother. Just before I saved the game, Basch makes a stunning revelation... he had a twin brother! ***cue suspensfull music***[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 05:44:20 pm by max_cady »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1976 on: December 04, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »
The SEGA vintage collection Monster World collection! I'm loving it!

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #1977 on: December 04, 2012, 04:38:24 pm »
Fighting Vipers on XBLA and still on top! 8)

As long as my brother doesn't hold my Xbox to play some boring ass NBA.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1978 on: December 04, 2012, 06:44:51 pm »

I'm nearly 25 hours into Final Fantasy XII and... so far, I gotta say it's leaps and bounds better than Final Fantasy XIII. This game actually has a setup and a proper story, the characters in this game are not douchebags, while many areas remain locked till you progress in the story, a good chunk of the world can still be explored, with a lot of secrets and sidestuff to do, like at any given point in the game. The areas are HUGE. I've also finally gotten used to the Gambit system, I wish it were a tad simplified(perhaps the only thing in which Final Fantasy XIII excels at), but other than that it works like a charm.

The one peculiar thing about the game is [spoiler] actually the main hero, Vaan is considered the principal protagonist but when I'm watching the story unfold, he seems to be reduced to background filler, since the plot tends to revolve mostly around Lady Ashe, Basch and the Sky Pirate duo of Balthier and Fran. He's really just there for the ride. They clearly are copying elements of Star Wars.[/spoiler]

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #1979 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:17 pm »
The latest project aside from major backlog, I've been juggling between mobile gaming Bard's Tale on my Galaxy S3 and continuing my adventures on Red Dead Redemption on my PS3. Picked up Little Big Planet and NFS Most Wanted for my PS Vita.

All of the above have been amazing games thus far but wow does Bard's Tale eat the battery alive on my Galaxy S3 making comparisons from the iOS version rather difficult. Still amazing to see such a well crafted game on a mobile phone.
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...