Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723186 times)

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2145 on: August 13, 2013, 11:00:23 am »
If I remember correctly, Code Veronica was supposed to be Resident Evil 3, but Capcom had made a deal where numbered releases would land on PlayStation while subtitled entries would wind up on other consoles. I'm not sure. It's been awhile since I talked about evil. Hahaha!

However, I agree, Code Veronica felt like a true continuation over Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 5 was fun, though the story's a convoluted mess. They were trying to pick up where 4 left off while addressing the whole Umbrella conspiracy they had tossed by the wayside. It's just confusing. I'm afraid to even pick up Resident Evil 6.

I hear you, bro. When I reviewed the Saturn version of Biohazard, some of my subscribers were like, "Dude, how could you? The controls suck ass! They always have!" Admittedly, it would've been nice if I had been able to run and shoot - like Deep Fear - but it the controls totally work. If they were as broken as seemingly so many gamers claim, I doubt the franchise would have survived long beyond Resident Evil 2.

Don't buy RE6 dude, it's a huge waste of money. Unless you can find it for like $10, then i wouldn't recommend it. I've had it for almost a year, my wife got it for me as a b-day gift, and i still haven't played more than 2 hours on it. I hear Leon's Campaign is supposed to be the best yet i can't stand even that scenario. I thought RE5 was ok, but it just felt like an HD version of RE4 in a different location. The one RE game i would recommend though, is RE: Revelations. It's actually quite good, i bought it on the 3DS and it was pretty awesome.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #2146 on: August 13, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
Don't buy RE6 dude, it's a huge waste of money. Unless you can find it for like $10, then i wouldn't recommend it. I've had it for almost a year, my wife got it for me as a b-day gift, and i still haven't played more than 2 hours on it. I hear Leon's Campaign is supposed to be the best yet i can't stand even that scenario. I thought RE5 was ok, but it just felt like an HD version of RE4 in a different location. The one RE game i would recommend though, is RE: Revelations. It's actually quite good, i bought it on the 3DS and it was pretty awesome.

That's what I've heard. One of the reasons I haven't picked it up. I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin. Revelations sounds interesting, but I can't afford a 3DS. I wish there were DS versions, because I'll never use the 3D function.

How would you rate RE6? For me, the absolute worst Resident Evil game I ever played was RE: Survivor on PlayStation. *shivers*
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2147 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59:48 am »
That's what I've heard. One of the reasons I haven't picked it up. I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin. Revelations sounds interesting, but I can't afford a 3DS. I wish there were DS versions, because I'll never use the 3D function.

How would you rate RE6? For me, the absolute worst Resident Evil game I ever played was RE: Survivor on PlayStation. *shivers*

So far, RE6 is my least favorite RE game. I've never played the Survivor games, but i've hear some sad shit about em. I also own the Outbreak series, which wasn't all that great imo, it's a real shame i never got to play it online though.

You can get Revelations in HD for PC, Wii U, X360, and PS3 now so you don't have to buy a 3DS for it. I highly recommend it, if you want a pretty good RE experience. It's not half as good as the old RE's, but i think it's better than RE5.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2148 on: August 15, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »

RE6 has hit the Bargain Bin, you can pick it up too so you won't have to worry about shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Resident+Evil+6+-+PlayStation+3/4815505.p?id=1218533290107&skuId=4815505&st=4815505&lp=1&cp=1&AID=10597222&PID=3562041&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FResident%2BEvil%2B6%2B-%2BPlayStation%2B3%2F4815505.p%3Fid%3D1218533290107%26skuId%3D4815505%26st%3D4815505%26lp%3D1%26cp%3D1&ref=39&loc=01&CJPID=3562041

I'd pay $9.99 for it.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2149 on: August 17, 2013, 10:36:05 am »
I want to be controversial: I enjoyed Resident Evil 6. But I'm not blind to it's shortcomings. There are a lot of 'em here. The different campaings feel in padded out in several areas, some of the QTEs are handled very poorly. There's literally no campaign in which there aren't moments where there's massive dip in overall quality, however brief it may be. Leon's Campagin is the best, save for a few frustrating boss fights and rope climbing QTE that made me want to punch my TV. Chris, Ada and Wesker Jr's campaings are also good for the most part.

Speaking of which, I finished up Resident Evil: Revelations. An 8-hour joy ride, to be sure. Granted that it's not as graphically, nor technically impressive as RE 6, far from it, actually. But it wins out over RE 6, for one thing, consistency. The game is solid through and through. It's much more focused, even though it deals with several characters (This is mostly a Jill/Parker game, Chris Redfield's participation is quite short and we have a wacky duo, who tend to break up the ocassional monotony). It ticks all the right RE boxes. The setting is small (90% of the game takes place aboard a ship), the monsters are clever, they can ambush you and attack you when you least expect it. They are also spaced out so you never feel like you just running and gunning.

So in a way, it's RE done right.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #2150 on: August 17, 2013, 02:54:06 pm »
So far, RE6 is my least favorite RE game. I've never played the Survivor games, but i've hear some sad shit about em. I also own the Outbreak series, which wasn't all that great imo, it's a real shame i never got to play it online though.

You can get Revelations in HD for PC, Wii U, X360, and PS3 now so you don't have to buy a 3DS for it. I highly recommend it, if you want a pretty good RE experience. It's not half as good as the old RE's, but i think it's better than RE5.

Well, fans have told me that the game would have been better had it used a lightgun as intended. However, I question that. The story is a major letdown after playing Resident Evil 2 and 3. It doesn't have as much meat and, because it's done much like a first-person shooter, lacks the creepy element. It looks fucking awful. Imagine House of the Dead on Saturn, up the pixelation by a factor of 3, then slow it down. You have Gun Survivor. Hated that fuckin' game.

I'll definitely try out Revelations, as well as RE6.

And there's nothing wrong with playing Devil's advocate, max. :)

They'll have to wait though, because I now have Sol-Feace (SCD) and AeroWings (DC). Best $10 spent! Looks like they've never been played. EXCITED!
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #2151 on: August 17, 2013, 04:15:48 pm »
RE6 is worth buying.
Specially nowdays where it's easy to pay a bargain for it.

---

Last week I've finished Beyond Oasis, part of the "Sonic & Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection".
It's great. I had finished The Legend of Oasis a few years ago, which is also great.

Now - probably for the first time of my life - I'm playing simultaneously more than 02 games hehe. Usually I play 01 game 'till its end, then I pick another, and so on.

I'm playing:

The Lord of The Rings - War in the North in local co-op. It's great so far, quite addicting.

I'm also playing Ghost Trick Phantom Detective, also great so far.

Finally, I'm playing Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed (I've already beaten 95% of the game playing alone but I'm playing it again with a local friend this game). Another great game.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2152 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:06 am »
Well, fans have told me that the game would have been better had it used a lightgun as intended. However, I question that. The story is a major letdown after playing Resident Evil 2 and 3. It doesn't have as much meat and, because it's done much like a first-person shooter, lacks the creepy element. It looks fucking awful. Imagine House of the Dead on Saturn, up the pixelation by a factor of 3, then slow it down. You have Gun Survivor. Hated that fuckin' game.

I'll definitely try out Revelations, as well as RE6.

And there's nothing wrong with playing Devil's advocate, max. :)

They'll have to wait though, because I now have Sol-Feace (SCD) and AeroWings (DC). Best $10 spent! Looks like they've never been played. EXCITED!

Well there's nothing wrong with waiting to pick up Revelations or RE6, it'll just make em cheaper buys anyways. I'm actually still considering picking up Revelations HD, just because i always wanted to try it on a console instead of a handheld. Maybe when it's cheaper, i'll buy it for Wii U, just cause i need more reasons to play that damn console.

Max - Nice impressions dude, i still don't know about RE6.. I played it for about 2 hours and just stopped. I might have to go back to it someday.

I've been playing Dead Space 2. I recently bought DS3 for X360 so i really need to finish DS2. Now these are legit survival horror games.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2153 on: August 23, 2013, 05:07:47 am »
Dragon's Crown.

Pretty good but I hate how you have to do multiple Dungeons to get impressive yeilds.

My Vita seems to be playing up on the Right Stick AND touchscreen in game, and I rarely play the damn thing! :(
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #2154 on: August 29, 2013, 02:41:49 am »
Oh boy, working on a few games:

Dawn of War - hasn't aged the best and kind of represents a lot of what I hate about the RTS genre, the gameplay just feels very bland now - if you aren't a WH40k fan skip to vCoH, it executes all this games ideas way better and then adds heaps more. Far superior experience and came out only 2 years later. If you are a WH40k? I'd suggest DoWII over this, though some hate it because it basically drops base building entirely and essentially becomes a real-time squad-based SRPG. Sometimes called Real-Time Tactics.

Red Faction II - Disappointing compared to the first but still a good game, doesn't deserve the hate.

Company of Heroes 2 - Still working on single player every now and again.

Saints Row 2 - Not as good as the third but I still like it more than the GTA games to be honest. Too bad the first game was 360 exclusive :(

Multi games:

My main multi games haven't changed much: TF2, vCoH, Titan Quest/Torchlight II (of these Titan Quest is better, get Titan Quest if you like ARPGs at all, best game in the genre). I did get a few rounds of Sonic Racing Transformed in a while back, with some friends, a fantastic kart racer! I was also into Binary Domain multi for a fair bit of time (ended up putting over 40 hours into multi on the PC version).

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2155 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:19 am »
PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!!!!!!!! :D

*Yes, I have a modded Saturn now!*

On Disc 2 already...wow...the first disc is sure short. :(
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #2156 on: August 30, 2013, 04:05:44 pm »
PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!!!!!!!! :D

*Yes, I have a modded Saturn now!*

On Disc 2 already...wow...the first disc is sure short. :(

I started this on my Saturn emulator, I need to get back to it though. When I was younger I was like "I'll purchase it someday", then I was like, fuck that noise. Not gonna happen with those eBay prices.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2157 on: August 31, 2013, 08:06:01 pm »
If only because I am masoquist, I recentely rebought and am currently replaying Alpha Protocol, I've been thinking of this game ever since I finished Fable III.

I had a Sonic 06 moment with this game... It's a bad game, but so much time has passed that I actually found this particular title to be refreshing.

Why? Because AP does what Fable III doesn't... The choices you make actually matter. It can change events, the order in which you play out events, missions and such, change the dialogue and how some events play out. Everything that you do or don't do, has trade-offs either way.

The transtition is organic, albeit a little awkward. Though, make no mistake... Alpha Protocol makes a terrible first impression. The first few missions are a drag.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #2158 on: September 01, 2013, 12:05:32 am »
Alpha Protocol was one of my favorite games this gen! I thought it was shit when the reviews said so, I believed them, then I got it for $2.49 on sale on Steam and realized the critics were full o' shit.

Great, albeit flawed, game. The review largely had to do with American anti-SEGA bias amongst critics (ask aki).

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2159 on: September 03, 2013, 05:15:12 pm »
I started playing Hotline Miami and I was actually floored by that little indie gem.