Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723209 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2355 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:15 am »
Barry; I used to have one of those (Still do, but it's back at home).
Very nice stick, it's not as good as the higher end Hori stuff, but it's great for the size and price IMO.
That is a killer price too, well bought.

I should point out I've been playing a lot of VF recently (although that's always for me). The scene in Toronto has grown pretty strong, I'm having trouble keeping up with the new guys! They've really fallen in love with the game, and it's so fun to play.

Got a tournament coming up on Sunday too, so that should be fun.

Nice to hear it has the Mademan seal of approval. I really wanted the VF5 version, but it was just an added set of stickers. But being a SEGA fan desperate for physical things, of course even stickers sound amazing. There's a guy on ebay selling the VF5 version for $60.

I also want to get the Saturn arcade stick, that way I'll have a stick for every SEGA console. I recently picked up a Dreamcast stick and now I can't play DOA2, SoulCalibur, or VF3tb with a controller ever again.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2356 on: February 02, 2015, 11:05:47 am »
Barry, if you want the real-deal best VF stick you can buy, this is my personal hero: Virtua Stick High Grade

http://www.play-asia.com/virtua-stick-high-grade-paOS-13-49-en-70-1rjw.html

Sadly it's out of production now, probably a bit pricey to find, but it's such a great stick. Based on the arcade builds and it's build quality is the best I've seen. It's got a great heft to it and just feels really solid with great parts.

This is my stick that I've been using the last few years, MadCatz TE with customised art and buttons :D

Offline Regis

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Loola Games Online
« Reply #2357 on: February 03, 2015, 05:41:53 pm »
Just played classical Sonic 2 and Pirate Gold, from Genesis

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2358 on: February 03, 2015, 06:43:58 pm »
Barry, if you want the real-deal best VF stick you can buy, this is my personal hero: Virtua Stick High Grade

http://www.play-asia.com/virtua-stick-high-grade-paOS-13-49-en-70-1rjw.html

Sadly it's out of production now, probably a bit pricey to find, but it's such a great stick. Based on the arcade builds and it's build quality is the best I've seen. It's got a great heft to it and just feels really solid with great parts.

This is my stick that I've been using the last few years, MadCatz TE with customised art and buttons :D

Ah, this is the one I have been using:
http://www.eightarc.com/qanba-q2-glow-ps3-pc/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKWt5CIYFM

Lights are whatever, got it due to the PC/PS3 support.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2359 on: February 04, 2015, 07:51:51 am »
Nice, I like Qanba sticks.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2360 on: February 04, 2015, 05:43:22 pm »
Valkyria Chronicles

Fought super hard battle on Chapter 14.
Updated Tanks and weapons.
Updated Soldiers with lots of Experience.
Watched ubber awesome cinematics with Alicia and Selvaria fighting.
Exited Game.
Forget to Save.

Burn everything down!

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2361 on: February 07, 2015, 02:06:55 pm »
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (Gamecube).

Offline DarthTsarkon

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2362 on: February 08, 2015, 02:03:39 am »
Morrowind on PC. Finally got around to downloading the Overhaul mod. It is so sweet, if you haven't had the chance to play it you owe it to yourself to get it. The graphics are simply amazing and the extra sounds make the cities that much more believable.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2363 on: February 08, 2015, 05:34:51 am »
Those mutherf***ing enemy snipers in Valkyria Chronicles are bullshit!

They can hit targets at impossibly long distances!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2364 on: February 09, 2015, 09:17:41 am »
Came third in a VF tournament yesterday, happy with that result :) Some of the new players have really gotten into it.

Still playing Evil Within, it's quite good but I don't think it's 'great'. I think it would have worked better if they had more faith in it being a true horror game. Had it been slower paced and more exploration based I would have liked it more than the corridor-y horror with some corridor-y actiony bits.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2365 on: February 10, 2015, 03:03:51 am »

Valkyria Chronicles

Spoilers for those who haven't played it

Man, those two battles on the Naggiar plains are f***ed up. The first fight is tough enough since you have to take their camp before Selvaria destroys Welkin's tank. One misstep and you are screwed.  The second battle is even harder. Taking their camp is easy as pie, but you have to destroy two tanks that throw incendiary rounds as well as deal with perpetually spawning enemies, including snipers who can hit your characters with pin point accuracy. Bullsh*t!

Destroyed them both, but lost of of my favorite fighters in the game: Edy. F***!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2366 on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:29 am »
Just finished The Evil Within last night. It's not a BAD game, but it's very unfocused. Can't decide if it wants to be RE4 style, old school horror, psychological thriller or BIG BAD MONSTERS scary.

The gunplay is nice, and I liked that ammo was pretty scarce, but they then have sections which are basically big battle arenas and ammo is everywhere (including being inexplicably dropped by baddies).

The game goes from shambling about creepy old houses and not being sure if you're insane or not to having giant lizard monsters attacking you. There were a few times where I thought for sure a boss was meant to be unkillable because it felt out of place, only to realise that I WAS just meant to brute force him with lots of guns.

The ending is also bat-shit fucking insane in a bad way. It's really weak.

Having said all that, the game is still pretty fun and has some good ideas. I think they need to decide what they want it to be, and I would love to see a sequel build on either the action or the horror. More finely tuned shooting could make it an RE4 competitor or going the route of stealth and limited ammo etc could make it a true survival horror game (Level 3 best showed this, creeping around houses and finding keys to escape a village).

One thing I LOVE LOVE LOVE is that you unlock cool stuff for finishing the game as well as a New Game + mode. Not enough games do this. I'm tempted to play through in New Game + even though it wasn't my favourite game, just because I love things like that.

Next up I'm going to take a break for a bit during my vacation time, but when I get back to gaming I want to launch into Planescape Torment finally.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2367 on: February 23, 2015, 04:09:11 pm »
I am 100% hooked on Valkyria Chronicles right now. I am at the first half of the final battle in chapter 18. But I think I'm gonna go back and do a whole more level grinding because this portion of the game us super tough and I need muh tanks and Lancers to be in tip-top form.

Finally beat Jann's Lancer challenge without any of my characters dying this time (funny how a simple change in tactics and screw up my opponents moves) which also boosted a lot of of my characters, But it's getting ubber tough.

So much so, they I still have Sniper Elite III, Splinter Cell Blacklist (still in shrinkwrap from Xmas)and The Witcher 2 still on the shelf. I might take a little breather from those VC to focus on one of these.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2368 on: February 23, 2015, 04:12:35 pm »
Vakyria Chronicles is a great game, sadly it didn't become a bigger franchise.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2369 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:10 am »
I am 100% hooked on Valkyria Chronicles right now. I am at the first half of the final battle in chapter 18. But I think I'm gonna go back and do a whole more level grinding because this portion of the game us super tough and I need muh tanks and Lancers to be in tip-top form.

Finally beat Jann's Lancer challenge without any of my characters dying this time (funny how a simple change in tactics and screw up my opponents moves) which also boosted a lot of of my characters, But it's getting ubber tough.

So much so, they I still have Sniper Elite III, Splinter Cell Blacklist (still in shrinkwrap from Xmas)and The Witcher 2 still on the shelf. I might take a little breather from those VC to focus on one of these.

Ohh, let me know if you're playing Witcher 2, I loved that game but haven't played it since launch. Backlog too STRONK.

Played some VF yesterday with friends, Shun is so much fuuuuuun.