Author Topic: Sonic Generations Demo - 23rd of June!  (Read 28230 times)

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: Sonic Generations Demo - 23rd of June!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 12:11:13 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Played the demo.

I like the music, though because the level is a bit longer than the original tune, I think they should have mixed in something else to it. Maybe a different set of instruments to the second loop, or add a bit of Bridge Zone's theme in there? Not an issue at all, just something I would have done if I made this, I guess.

Otherwise, I am not really sure of the experience I just had. I mean, the physics are so much better than Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but they are still nowhere as close as it appeared from people playing it. Moving in the air is very weird, it feels very loose in a bad way, like Unleashed and Colors, which was okay for those games, but it should be tighter considering it is all 2D here. There also seems to be some slight delay with a button push. It gives me the feeling the people who made this only played the XBLA/PSN versions of the classics instead of on the actual hardware, as they have a similar problem and there is a chance that Sonic Team just thought this was normal... I would not put it past them.

The rolling and spindash both are all kinds of broken. You cannot even roll when you are up on a hight slope... Shit. I think you could do that in Sonic 4 even. The spindash is FAR too fast on ground but slows down shockingly weird in the air, even worse is how you cannot jump instantly from a spindash which is also weird, both of the Adventure games let you do that fine. These both need major fixes.

The level design... Kind of sucks. Now, it is the first level in the whole game which is fine, but it is basically designed with speedruns in mind and little else. It seems entirely pointless to return to past sections of the level, in some cases it is also impossible. After recently being able to get all of the Chaos Emeralds in Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 after all of these years, this was kind of a major letdown. I mean, I was not really expecting something like this as the levels have no real progression like the classics, but there should be some reason to return to past sections of the level. Bayonneta proves this concept is still amazing. Also, the springs are still garbage and not like the classic ones at all.

The art was also really disorienting. I mean, so much on screen is cool and all, but it was somewhat hard for me to see where some of the rings were without squinting a bit. This really, really should not be an issue.

Also, there is a hole RIGHT at the end of the level and nowhere else. STOP DOING THAT SONIC TEAM! EVERY TIME WITH THE HOLE RIGHT AT THE END!

Still really looking forward to this and honestly expect the full game to be at the VERY least very good, but I... I really do not know why I was being so optimistic about this. Damn Sonic Team, messing with my mojo.

lol wow.

I'd give the demo I played at Sonic Boom (which is apparently the same, for the most part) a 9/10. Can't wait for the final product, promises to be amazing.   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »
I tried it out last night, and I had a pretty similar experience to most of you.
It looks really pretty, but on a standard def TV it's really, really tough to keep track of things like rings and enemies. There's just so much going on, that it all kind of blends together when in motion.

Sonic seems pretty heavy when he jumps, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I only played through it once, so there were a decent amount of embarassing moments where I jumped directly onto spikes, expecting to clear them.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 06:02:51 pm »
00:54.23 is my new best time! yaaaay

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 03:30:19 pm »
I hate the enemy bouncing shortcuts. Since when were shortcuts based on bouncing on them?
And yeah, I agree with Spindash being WAY too overpowered.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »
Quote from: "Autosaver"
I hate the enemy bouncing shortcuts. Since when were shortcuts based on bouncing on them?

Since they realised it was a pretty awesome idea.

Also, Shadi.
00.54.04 in your face!
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 04:50:52 pm »
Quote from: "-nSega54-"

lol wow.

What?

There were a ton of these in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and many in other games in the original trilogy allowed it, but were way better because your bouncing momentum increased by a lot with everything you hit. It would allow for experimentation there, not in Generations, but I am glad bouncing is there at all. It proves the homing attack addition in Sonic 4 was a also complete joke/lazy design.

People really need to be a lot more vocal about rolling in general I think, or else nothing will change. The spindash is just awful and too fast and needs to be used way too often (why do you need to use it to get in one of those holes near the end anyways?). Every time I play the demo it just feels so wrong that I cannot hold down at all times. Sonic 4 allowed it, but was shittier than this, there you would slow down too for some reason.

Otherwise, it is all close enough for it not to matter. I am really only worried about the level design. I do not want to fucking speedrun, I want to play a platformer, then do that stuff later if I liked the levels enough.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 04:59:17 pm »
^There is plenty of platforming in the demo level, if you don't want to speed run then don't spend all your time on the high course.

Go replay the original Green Hill Zone, if anything there is more platforming to be found in this remake than in the original and that can be speed ran through in all but 20 odd seconds.

This is pretty straight forward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zMHaHPXqqg

Remember its the first level its not going to be overly long or challenging.
Made by SEGA

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 05:24:46 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"

Since they realised it was a pretty awesome idea.

Also, Shadi.
00.54.04 in your face!
00:51.90

YEAH! =P

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 05:26:35 pm »
I found it to be surprisingly good. There is still something funny about Sonic's jump (I think he doesn't jump high enough, or like barry said, he somehow feels too heavy) and there is far too much shit going on in the background and foreground (need to clean it up a bit I think), but otherwise... Sonic Team may be onto something decent here!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
I found it to be surprisingly good. There is still something funny about Sonic's jump (I think he doesn't jump high enough, or like barry said, he somehow feels too heavy) and there is far too much shit going on in the background and foreground (need to clean it up a bit I think), but otherwise... Sonic Team may be onto something decent here!

Who are you and what have you done to MadeManG?!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 05:52:39 pm »
I think its a tad too fast for me. But I like it. :)

Offline Sharky

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »

Taunt discovered, you need to kill the fish enemy at the very last second before it goes back under the birdge to get this to happen.

'got ya!'
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 07:11:34 pm »
Thats pretty rad.

Offline Shaddix Leto Croft

• Total Meseta: 0
    • http://platformerpad.com/
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »
I've done that a couple times randomly on other badniks in the level but when I try to do that taunt pose again I can't seem to do it but it's pretty sweet :)

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 11:09:05 pm »
Quote from: "George"
Thats pretty rad.

This.