Author Topic: Why Christianity is dying in the U.S.  (Read 46149 times)

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Why Christianity is dying in the U.S.
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2013, 08:52:07 pm »
How did this thread even get to the topic of discussing where we came from and what Jesus looked like? That was not why this thread was created. The purpose of this thread is for discussing why Christianity is dying in the U.S. I realize most of you have already commented on the reason earlier in the thread. It's just that I think more can be said.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2013, 05:03:58 am »
In any case, comparing and contrasting DNA sequencing is fascinating and I suggest people learn more about it and not just hang on simple factoids for arguments (not saying Nameless or crackdude are, I'm speaking about pcm).

Indeed, research is really fascinating when you delve into things. I like looking at Astronomy myself (nothing to do with my religious beliefs), as it really interests me.

The banana trivia was just something I heard on TV, so I thought I'd mention it. (Although you could say a man's penis is a "banana" of sorts, heh heh)

I also heard the most weirdest theory about Asians as well on some Documentary too...

That Asians are descendants from Aliens! if that's the case, then no wonder their technology is far more advanced than us! XD (I guess people can all agree that Asians aren't Aliens...although they do differ from Europeans and Americans in body form, appearance and possibly intellect).
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2013, 06:15:39 am »
Guys, guys, I just figured it all out!

We didn't came from monkeys. The monkeys came FROM US.

You just stole an idea I had for a science fiction series I was going to write up :(

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2013, 07:33:59 am »
How did this thread even get to the topic of discussing where we came from and what Jesus looked like? That was not why this thread was created. The purpose of this thread is for discussing why Christianity is dying in the U.S. I realize most of you have already commented on the reason earlier in the thread. It's just that I think more can be said.

Your thread has evolved.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2013, 02:10:48 pm »
Dude, I know your opinion is different, but look up the story behind Jesus's death/burial/resurrection lol

As for the rest, wouldn't it be just as possible that humans were created with traits like the hability to move your ears to pinpoint sounds and just lost them over time due to environmental causes?

Human evolution is a spotty theory at best.. Very hard to debate.

Why? I'm Jewish. As far as we're concerned, that's who Christ was. Not the son of God, but a prophet. And he WAS a carpenter, right?

And what you just suggested....IS evolution. That is what evolution IS. Just replace "humans" with "primates" and you'd be completely correct. Evolution is hardly a "spotty" theory, especially when that also happens to be your "alternative" to why humans have these leftover traits from our ancestors.

And don't forget, I didn't just point out ears. Like our vestigial tails? I guess we used to have tails to...until we lost them due to environmental changes. And don't forget the vestigial hair, as well as that hair's now useless response to fear and the cold. Guess those were more useful back when we had a lot more hair! Before we lost them to environmental changes, anyway.

Evolution is only hard to debate when you ignore the metric TON of evidence that supports it in the fossil record, in other living animals, in modern bacteria, and all over your own body.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:27:30 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »
Yes he was. But he also had a proper burial, something ou disconsidered completely.

Also, as I said before, I think that it's pretty much common knowledge by now that species do mutate and adapt over time. That evolution is nearly proved.

But, human evolution is FAR from proved. I don't know the details because it's not my field of study, but I know that some of the most important links between evolutionary steps are missing. The fossil record is WEAK (some supposed species have ONE or TWO fossil records, sometimes nothing more than half a skull).

At the same time, you look at our hairs and say they are vestiges of evolution, I say god put the hair there so my girlfriend could appreciate snuggling against it.

The theory behing the first living cell is a bump above being a bad joke as well. Let alone everything in the universe existing without a well thought out project by ANYONE.

I don't intend to attack your (or anyones) point of view, same way I hope your intentions aren't rude. But I believe it all comes down to what you believe in: a superior being or cosmic chance. You'll need faith whichever one you choose. There is no definite proof on either side. Not yet.
SEG4GES

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2013, 05:39:41 am »
Now I have to wonder how Nintendo felt when Christians stated that playing and watching Pokemon was a sin because of how the Pokemon evolved.  ;D

But...that'd be an interesting world to live in...and I would have to ask why Human Children don't evolve into Human Adults in the same way.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »
Nameless24, I must say your replies have been purely fictional. Pokemon was a cartoon written as fictional animation. You said before that Asian people were smarter than everyone else in the world. I am not sure where you got that from. The country with the best economy right now is the U.S. The U.S. used to make everything the U.S. had. I think it was Jimmy Carter who changed it, so that almost everything here was made in Asian countries. Don't blame the U.S. for being more ignorant. Blame whichever president it was who made a deal with Asian countries.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2013, 02:45:30 pm »
Nameless24, I must say your replies have been purely fictional.

Pokemon was a cartoon written as fictional animation.

You said before that Asian people were smarter than everyone else in the world. I am not sure where you got that from.

The country with the best economy right now is the U.S. The U.S. used to make everything the U.S. had.

I think it was Jimmy Carter who changed it, so that almost everything here was made in Asian countries. Don't blame the U.S. for being more ignorant. Blame whichever president it was who made a deal with Asian countries.

Fictional? Trivia doesn't have to be factual. What about Myths and Legends of what people believed in Ancient Egyptian/Greek times? Just because it may be "fictonal" doesn't make it any less interesting about how they lived, and what they believed in. I, for one would love to hear stories of those Myths if I were in those ancient times.

Christians have debated as to whether Pokemon is indeed sinful for children, however I was made it as lighthearted as possible. I also know it's a fictional cartoon, doesn't stop a few Christians believing it's bad.

No, I stated that Asians could be aliens from one documentary I saw....that doesn't mean it's true, I was just pointing something which I personally saw as interesting. Being "smarter" was the idea that aliens are smarter than humans...

And you call me random, I never even debated on the US Economy...and no, that would be wrong as well, it's probably New Zealand as they're not in a recession, have money to spend AND are a neutral country with NO army, and where did this patriotic idea come from?

Again, why are you even talking about the economy? I never even mentioned the economy, I made a lighthearted joke that Asians could be aliens due to their intelligence, I never once mentioned that Japan, Singapore, what-have-you, have a better economy than America (although I believe Japan has less debt than America).

I guess I can't at least try to put some fun in debates.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:47:44 pm by Nameless 24 »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2013, 07:00:30 pm »
Yes you can <3
SEG4GES

Offline pcm92

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2013, 02:47:07 am »
Fictional? Trivia doesn't have to be factual. What about Myths and Legends of what people believed in Ancient Egyptian/Greek times? Just because it may be "fictonal" doesn't make it any less interesting about how they lived, and what they believed in. I, for one would love to hear stories of those Myths if I were in those ancient times.

Christians have debated as to whether Pokemon is indeed sinful for children, however I was made it as lighthearted as possible. I also know it's a fictional cartoon, doesn't stop a few Christians believing it's bad.

No, I stated that Asians could be aliens from one documentary I saw....that doesn't mean it's true, I was just pointing something which I personally saw as interesting. Being "smarter" was the idea that aliens are smarter than humans...

And you call me random, I never even debated on the US Economy...and no, that would be wrong as well, it's probably New Zealand as they're not in a recession, have money to spend AND are a neutral country with NO army, and where did this patriotic idea come from?

Again, why are you even talking about the economy? I never even mentioned the economy, I made a lighthearted joke that Asians could be aliens due to their intelligence, I never once mentioned that Japan, Singapore, what-have-you, have a better economy than America (although I believe Japan has less debt than America).

I am sorry if I seemed too harsh. I should have been a little less blunt. Yes. You could put humor in debates. I was just saying that no country is really more intelligent than the other. It's just that some have better economies, so I was guessing that was what you meant. New Zealand ranks 53rd best economy. The U.S. is first. Of course that is by nominal GDP and not PPP. That's only according to the U.N. and the World Bank. Of course, - like you said - you did not mention the economy. This thread was not intended to speak about the economy or intelligence of different countries. It was intended to speak about Christianity in the U.S.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2013, 07:35:58 am »
I am sorry if I seemed too harsh. I should have been a little less blunt.

Yes. You could put humor in debates. I was just saying that no country is really more intelligent than the other. It's just that some have better economies, so I was guessing that was what you meant.

New Zealand ranks 53rd best economy. The U.S. is first. Of course that is by nominal GDP and not PPP. That's only according to the U.N. and the World Bank.

Of course, - like you said - you did not mention the economy. This thread was not intended to speak about the economy or intelligence of different countries. It was intended to speak about Christianity in the U.S.

Fair enough, you seemed reasonable to me and it didn't seem harsh from my perspective.

That's a relief, lol.

That's true, but given the standard of living, to me an economy doesn't seems to differ all that much from each other.

Ah, I stand corrected on the GDP front, although I think we should all have no Army for a peaceful world (and I am sure this is something Christians and non-Christians agree on).

Isn't the World Back called the IMF or something?

I wish I could debate somewhat on Christianity in the US, but I'm British, however I don't see a decline here really, given that I used to perform in Churches around Christmas time, there's still a sense of community in the local areas...so I can't really speak about the US side.

However, I do speak to an American Christian myself, and he seems to see fewer communities than I do...however, the US is probably 50 times bigger than the UK, so Churches are spread out more, and probably in fewer number (in addition to being more "newer"). Overall, I believe that the Christianity in the US is probably declining, but not to the extent that it'll die. Perhaps be overtaken by another religion, but never really to a point that it's considered a rarity to find Christians.

Offline seanieb

• tty0: not a typewriter
    • Lost Signal
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2013, 06:54:03 pm »
Holy shit, this thread. I can't believe some guy reported Barry, lol.

There's a reason I usually discourage this type of thread, but at least you tried.

On a more serious note, I do believe that as we reach points in society where "shit gets serious" for lack of better terminology people have less patience for the ridiculosity, corruption, descrimination, xenophobia, homophobia and conservatism. In wartimes and in times of turmoil attendance rates at churches actually drop. There's a spike as everyone seeks guidance, but as these things drag on (see: WWII) it actually begins to put a damper on it (see: papal reaction to the Nazis; and early-2000s).

I think the information age is the final nail in the coffin for it. When we invented the printing press, we printed Bibles, they had a tool to spread information and that was the first thing done with them. The Internet has not lent itself to monastaries/churches/dieces with deep pockets. It is the least expensive medium yet. Everything before the Internet has been at a financial disadvantage to the truly free expression. If the churc has enough money to found the publishing company on Bibles, they're not going to take a risk on Charles Darwin. It may or may not be manipulation but it created an ecosystem that was eventually abused from the inside out (see: Catholic leadership).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:04:43 pm by seanieb »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2013, 07:04:55 pm »
Wait, lol, why is somebody reporting old posts made by an admin to an admin? There are three things wrong with that.

Anyway, "cursing" is allowed on the forums if it is not used as an insult. Saying, "for fucks sake, dude" has been covered two months ago. No more submitting moderation reports on old topics.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:10:31 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2013, 02:40:25 am »
@seanieb

If Anti-Christian propaganda is anything to go by, I do beleive that many people in modern times have the patience to be ridicilous or misinformed (maybe both).