Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675770 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1125 on: June 17, 2015, 04:12:14 pm »
The re-release of Shenmue l & ll rests with SEGA as they still have them apparently.

...yeah...

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1126 on: June 17, 2015, 04:12:39 pm »
Kotaku: Getting The Rights To Shenmue Was Easier Than You’d Think

http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights...thi-1712037863

“My company YSnet, we officially approached Sega a while ago, asking for the approval for the licenses,” Suzuki continued. “I was at Sega when Shenmue was made, as you may know, and they felt safe giving me the license to make the next one. They’re the reason why I was even able to make Shenmue.” When asked if Sega would be getting any percentage of profits from the eventual release of Shenmue III, Suzuki said that he couldn’t talk about the details of the deal he struck with Sega."
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1127 on: June 17, 2015, 04:33:31 pm »
So sounds like SEGA gets a cut of the profits. Makes me more hopeful stuff like arcade games and capsule toys will make it into this game.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1128 on: June 17, 2015, 04:41:03 pm »
Didn't Sumo say the creators have authority on IP?

The way it works internally I think is that someone could choose a colleague successor for taking care of the IP. But I think Suzuki just held Shenmue to himself...

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1129 on: June 17, 2015, 04:50:18 pm »
What? No. SEGA allows in house creators (if they still work there) to help with direction of IP. If their not there, they don't have a say. You think Naka has a say in Sonic games?

The approval for the IP will most likely be taken up by someone at SEGA-AM2.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1130 on: June 17, 2015, 04:55:21 pm »
What? No. SEGA allows in house creators (if they still work there) to help with direction of IP. If their not there, they don't have a say. You think Naka has a say in Sonic games?

The approval for the IP will most likely be taken up by someone at SEGA-AM2.

I said choose someone to take care of it if they leave the company.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1131 on: June 17, 2015, 04:56:11 pm »

New stretch goals.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #1132 on: June 17, 2015, 05:02:23 pm »
Aw, I'm scared we wont make it all the way...
Made by SEGA

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1133 on: June 17, 2015, 05:02:52 pm »
"Additional Quest"

I think Suzuki need to hire someone who knows how to organize a Kickstarter campaign, like the guys who did Bloodstained and Mighty No.09.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1134 on: June 17, 2015, 05:19:47 pm »
We'll definitely make it past $5 million no doubt but after that I'm not so sure if it can go past $10 million anymore, the way they're handling the stretch goals might not be the best heh.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1135 on: June 17, 2015, 05:28:56 pm »
Some of the stretch goals seem weird if I'm honest. I think it'll probably get to about 6 million, but I'm doubtful much more.

They also seem to be falling into the Kickstarter trap of making stretch goals that could add considerable more development time for the game. Think Yooka-Laylee had the best approach in that regard.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1136 on: June 17, 2015, 05:51:32 pm »
The FAQs have been updated:

Can you make an open world game for just $2 million?

No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.

How will the funds raised through Kickstarter be used?

The funding collected through Kickstarter will go towards game development, minus Kickstarter's fees and the costs associated with running a Kickstarter.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #1137 on: June 17, 2015, 06:02:12 pm »
What is worrying me a lot right now is this...

In the video it shows three stretch goals, the three villages. The first Baishia village is at 4 million... The other two, question marks.
See here:

Now I have a feeling that they are expecting way more money than they are going to receive... At what point were they going to add the next villages to the stretch goal? Because the updated goals show this:

Extra content for the first village... And the final village on the stretch goal Bailu is the one they were bloody on about going too in Shenmue 2.... I feel they are going to ask for 1million per village... Taking us up to 7 million dollars and I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

So what if we JUST reach the point of unlocking Bailu... But no extra content, will we be visiting a village with fuck all to do there? The one bloody village we have been waiting to see for 14 years?!
Made by SEGA

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #1138 on: June 17, 2015, 06:03:10 pm »
Will the graphics be improved?

The screenshots and images posted are still in the early stages of development, and will continue to be improved. Please help spread the word on all of your social networks so that we can deliver a Shenmue 3 that lives up to its legacy!

Please...PLEASE do share this. The amount of "BUT MUH LEGACY VISUALS BLARG CHEAP INDIE GAME" is irate enough to hear as it is.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1139 on: June 17, 2015, 06:32:51 pm »
Not to sound harsh, but if they really need more money, doesn't the first few stretch goals seem dumb? They could always add subs after release with extra money they make through sales etc.

I wonder if it's a case of see what they can get and Sony fill in the rest?

If not, they should really be focusing on completing what's needed for the story and then use what they can for the extras like mini games, battles etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:36:11 pm by Tad »