Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675940 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1245 on: June 19, 2015, 10:47:35 am »
Ill try to ask these:

What are your plans for the next 6 years? Will you get right to Shenmue 4 after Shenmue 3, do orginal projects, or any desire to return back to old Sega IP?
How much of the original staff are you able to secure? Is it the lead people of the project from Shenmue I and II? Are you able to get Takenobu Mitsuyoshi from Sega?
You worked with Nagoshi and Kataoka at Sega for a long time and they are now leading the consumer and arcade divisions of the company, are you able to tell if they have potentially exciting projects in the works that fans of your work will appreciate? (a.k.a. Virtua Fighter 6) What exactly is your role of advisor at Sega?
Do you feel sense of justification of being in the spotlight again, after being shunned by major companies?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1246 on: June 19, 2015, 11:36:33 am »
I really hope he doesn't plan on Shenmue 4. He needs to just end it. As much as I love the games, getting even this far has been hard enough.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1247 on: June 19, 2015, 11:50:21 am »
Eraser's account still exists, problem is his login info was wiped out and since we don't know his email address he will need to use the CONTACT US form or follow the directions on the forum announcements post so we can link him back up. So if you're reading this, call me! Well, don't call me, email me at SEGAbits at gmail dot com

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1248 on: June 19, 2015, 12:54:54 pm »
Good questions to ask Trippled.

So about the SEGA references, GameInformer asked Suzuki directly about it:

A big part of the original Shenmue games were the Sega Easter eggs, such as the capsule toys and playing Sega games in the arcades. Is there any possibility that those will appear in this game even though those licenses belong to Sega?

There are some things I can use and there are some things I can’t use. It’s kind of depending on further talks with Sega. I think there’s going to be a lot of small details that we’re going to have to speak with them on as we go along.

Seems positive, my guess is any project he made he'll be allowed to use the IP but series made by other teams like Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star etc will need to discussed with their respective teams.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1249 on: June 19, 2015, 01:06:47 pm »
Good questions to ask Trippled.

So about the SEGA references, GameInformer asked Suzuki directly about it:

Seems positive, my guess is any project he made he'll be allowed to use the IP but series made by other teams like Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star etc will need to discussed with their respective teams.

That's what I was thinking too. That's fine, his own series are some of the most iconic ones anyway. VF toys and Afterburner let's GO!

inb4 Sega forces Yu to put in ads for their new franchises. 'Wow this Total War Battles: Kingdom Figurine is COOL!'
'I just won a Company of Heroes 2 DLC Figurine!'
(He'll have a Chain Chronicles cat-girl poster above his bed).

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1250 on: June 19, 2015, 01:09:09 pm »
inb4 Sega forces Yu to put in ads for their new franchises. 'Wow this Total War Battles: Kingdom Figurine is COOL!'
'I just won a Company of Heroes 2 DLC Figurine!'
(He'll have a Chain Chronicles cat-girl poster above his bed).

I didn't know I had a cameo in this game.

(I'm fine with just AM2 representation  too.)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1251 on: June 19, 2015, 01:11:15 pm »
I didn't know I had a cameo in this game.

(I'm fine with just AM2 representation  too.)

I would like Sonic Team as well if he can swing it, the NiGHTS and Sonic stuff in the first two games were neat little touches. I think it had Bonanza Bros & Opa Opa, but even just AM2 would cover a wealth of stuff.

Kazuma Kiryu figurines would be nice too though :)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1252 on: June 19, 2015, 01:16:11 pm »
Eraser's account still exists, problem is his login info was wiped out and since we don't know his email address he will need to use the CONTACT US form or follow the directions on the forum announcements post so we can link him back up. So if you're reading this, call me! Well, don't call me, email me at SEGAbits at gmail dot com

Why did this happen?
Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1253 on: June 19, 2015, 01:53:56 pm »
I would like Sonic Team as well if he can swing it, the NiGHTS and Sonic stuff in the first two games were neat little touches. I think it had Bonanza Bros & Opa Opa, but even just AM2 would cover a wealth of stuff.

Kazuma Kiryu figurines would be nice too though :)

You'd think they'd let him after all he's done really. If Miyamoto is the father of Nintendo, Suzuki is surely Sega's?

And I've just put a lovely image of Miyamoto and Iwata together in your heads. Enjoy!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1254 on: June 19, 2015, 02:24:48 pm »
Why did this happen?

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3584.msg77478#new

You'd think they'd let him after all he's done really. If Miyamoto is the father of Nintendo, Suzuki is surely Sega's?

And I've just put a lovely image of Miyamoto and Iwata together in your heads. Enjoy!

Remember when Suzuki said "If Miyamoto was the father of gaming, I suppose that makes me the mother" and Nintendo fans raged saying "how dare this guy compare himself to Miyamoto"? It was truly an ugly day for the internet.

http://kotaku.com/5708126/who-is-the-mother-of-video-games
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:27:16 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1255 on: June 19, 2015, 02:35:02 pm »
If Miyamoto "invented" platformers with Mario then Suzuki "invented" polygon.

It's sad how much people overlook his influence. Mind blown so many times thanks to titles like Outrun, Virtua Fighter,  Shenmue etc.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1256 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:35 pm »
Both very much stray from the normal developer mindset. They aren't exactly technical guys, they're more like Miyazaki in the say they like to observe the world around them and be influenced by things other than games.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1257 on: June 19, 2015, 02:41:57 pm »
I had a friend do that to me the other day.
We were talking about Shenmue III Kickstarter and he said something about 'the Shenmue guy' and I said 'You mean Yu Suzuki, greatest game maker who ever lived!'
His reponse was 'eh, he's not Miyamoto...'

In general I feel like Nintendo plays up Miyamoto as a figurehead much, much more than Sega ever did with Yu Suzuki.

I feel they are both hugely important to gaming, and I couldn't say which is 'better' than the other. I do think they are both titans and their contributions are amazing. As Aki said, Yu Suzuki revolutionised fighting games, racing games, adventure games and arcade gaming in general.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1258 on: June 19, 2015, 02:44:38 pm »
Miyamoto is overrated and his ideas are shit. He wasn't innovative at all. He had a team capable of producing great games from existing concepts, but to say he invented sidescrollers is an overstatement, as there were many people working on that same concept years before (though they failed because lack of tech)
SEG4GES

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1259 on: June 19, 2015, 02:50:43 pm »
Miyamoto got lazy after Pikmin, afterwards he didnt contribute any kind of innovation or novelty. Suzuki still wants to create new and novel things.