Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675947 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1770 on: July 17, 2015, 09:21:17 pm »
Best news is that they got the 3D modeler who did Shenhua's 3D Model in Shenmue1&2 on board.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1771 on: July 17, 2015, 09:47:32 pm »
Well I'm very happy with this!
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1772 on: July 17, 2015, 10:51:47 pm »
Shere was PayPal announced? On the Twitch stream?

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1773 on: July 17, 2015, 10:59:03 pm »
They confirmed they'd be allowing continued donations via PayPal just before signing off, yes.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1774 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:34 pm »
Wonder if we can add any rewards via paypal in the future? Would love a book or OST.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #1775 on: July 18, 2015, 12:29:50 am »
Same, I may consider a PayPal donation.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1776 on: July 18, 2015, 08:36:13 am »
I watched the Twitch stream till 3 am under the moniker slap_that_dude. I haven't laughed so much reading comments since forever.

So Shenmue III is hapening, we might see something tangible in the next year or so and life is back to normal.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1777 on: July 18, 2015, 09:42:57 am »
Man, https://twitter.com/PG_jp sure seems salty about Shenmue 3 earning $6M+

Confused as to why it couldn't be completed as a book, suggesting people should back No Mans Sky over Shenmue 3 because.... indie? I don't know. Guy is sounding like an idiot.

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1778 on: July 18, 2015, 09:54:24 am »
JP Kellams being an idiot, more at 11.

This retarded "Big indie KS projects is stealing money from smaller indies!" argument is absolute bullshit. Like the money that Shenmue 3 amassed through reputation alone is somehow deserving of other projects that had no money of making that much money. As if one way of funding games (Publishers) doesn't allow room for another means of funding, even if they imply different game pitches and a bigger focus on ideas and concept rather than a tangible product.

Is it perfect? Fuck no but neither are the already available means. And no one is asking for the real Shenmue experience since we don't have the AAA budget for it and we know it. We just want some sort of continuation, as long as it's a fucking Shenmue game.

But he's right, No Man's Sky should get some money from KS over Shenmue, the first stretch goal should be "Gameplay that isn't boring as shit".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:58:56 am by Phantasos »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1779 on: July 18, 2015, 10:13:54 am »
Man, https://twitter.com/PG_jp sure seems salty about Shenmue 3 earning $6M+

Confused as to why it couldn't be completed as a book, suggesting people should back No Mans Sky over Shenmue 3 because.... indie? I don't know. Guy is sounding like an idiot.

Is he the guy that used to moderate the English Platinum Games forum? Because that guy was a grade-A cuntwaffle. [spoiler]No he didn't ban me, I was only a lurker, he came off as such a self-righteous smug doucher in his replies to other forum members.[/spoiler]

Also

Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1780 on: July 18, 2015, 10:51:11 am »
I really don't care about those moaning about this and I'd rather we didn't give them the time.

Over 6 is a brilliant achievement I feel. I'm really looking forward to this :)

Also, 69,320 backers. With the potential for new fans too, SEGA could easily remaster S1 and S2, sell them each and make a huge profit surely?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1781 on: July 18, 2015, 11:00:04 am »
Why did so many people see Jurassic World this summer when they could have gone to six small indie films instead? Because the t-rex, like Ryo's journey, is a bigger draw.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1782 on: July 18, 2015, 11:04:12 am »
Why did so many people see Jurassic World this summer when they could have gone to six small indie films instead? Because the t-rex, like Ryo's journey, is a bigger draw.

Yu Suzuki also has more pedigree in producing top tier games than any other gaming Kickstarter. A bit stupid to lump him with anyone else but he sounds so bitter about it so whatever.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1783 on: July 18, 2015, 12:30:00 pm »
I understand sort of where he is coming from, but it almost seems that the dude doesn't grasp the whole reason people gave the studio money. I get that he thinks 'big' Japanese developers have taken over Kickstarter and have been basically robbing the place blind without contributing new ideas (or so he thinks, we don't know what some of these games will offer).

We had a Mega Man 'clone', we have another one for legends, another one for Bloodstained (aka Castlevania) that broke records and now Shenmue 3.

I get that, but does he understand that indies have been keeping alive by copying these dudes works? How many indie games ripped off a game by Yu Suzuki? Right now retro racing games are in, there was even a light gun shooter that was on there not too long ago.

He assumes Kickstarter is started to help indies develop games, but it really wasn't. IT was made for people that don't have other ways of funding a project to fund it. Anyone, including someone like Yu Suzuki, who has over 30 years in the gaming industry, then don't.

I find it funny that instead of addressing issues with why indie games aren't getting as much funding as Shenmue 3, he just decides to attack it. Sounds like he should take that attitude and turn around to work on another half thought out licensed game like Korra or the new Transformers.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #1784 on: July 18, 2015, 02:00:45 pm »
I understand sort of where he is coming from, but it almost seems that the dude doesn't grasp the whole reason people gave the studio money. I get that he thinks 'big' Japanese developers have taken over Kickstarter and have been basically robbing the place blind without contributing new ideas (or so he thinks, we don't know what some of these games will offer).

We had a Mega Man 'clone', we have another one for legends, another one for Bloodstained (aka Castlevania) that broke records and now Shenmue 3.

I get that, but does he understand that indies have been keeping alive by copying these dudes works? How many indie games ripped off a game by Yu Suzuki? Right now retro racing games are in, there was even a light gun shooter that was on there not too long ago.

He assumes Kickstarter is started to help indies develop games, but it really wasn't. IT was made for people that don't have other ways of funding a project to fund it. Anyone, including someone like Yu Suzuki, who has over 30 years in the gaming industry, then don't.

I find it funny that instead of addressing issues with why indie games aren't getting as much funding as Shenmue 3, he just decides to attack it. Sounds like he should take that attitude and turn around to work on another half thought out licensed game like Korra or the new Transformers.

I guess he is salty that Wonderful 101 didn't do so well or that most of their successful projects involved other people's IPs  :P

Seriously though, I understand that JP has a point (no one is arguing that Awesome Japan botched the majority of the campaign, thankfully the fanbase did its best to pick up the slack), but he seems to be giving off mixed messages.

I fully agree that KS is a place to fund ideas when there is no other option is available (or for developers when publishers have passed on it), the only one game developer I think would never need KS is Hideo Kojima, everyone else is fair game (especially IGA and Yu Suzuki).

I remember hearing this argument earlier (about bigger KSes "stealing" from indies), shortly before the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was even teased, if anything these more well known kickstarters bring more attention to kickstarter/crowd funding...but looking through the comments he even shot down that side of the argument.

That book comment is funny because you could say the same thing about Bayo 2 with an anime.  Platinum had one of their passion projects canceled, only for Nintendo to pick up shortly after, they've been up and down the aisle saying that this project wouldn't have existed without that funding...so why is it he bags on Shenmue despite it being stuck without a sequel for years only for an opportunity to finally present itself on Kickstarter and actually see results? "Just because you break a record, doesn't mean you're successful" Honestly? fuck off then.

I don't think old ideas can't be used to influence/create new ones, they can beneficial if one looks/studies them, JP just has such a hard on for "TRYING TO CREATE SOMETHING NEW! CAN'T WAIT FOR DAT SCALEBOUND! IT'S GONNA BLOW YOUR MINDS! IT'S SO ORIGINAL"