Author Topic: Worst game titles of all time?  (Read 16819 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Worst game titles of all time?
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:15:08 pm »
What are some of the worst game titles you can think of? Be serious here, not just names you do not like. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is a good example of a terrible title.

One of the worst I have seen just today, when I came along this gem. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/frogger- ... 54454?mt=8

Frogger Inferno

R U serious Konami??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Worst game titles of all time?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »
Halo 3: ODST - the amazing side story that wants to pretend that it's not a side story with its title. It's not even like a mid-quel to the events Halo 3, it's a story entirely separated from the trials of Master Chief altogether. Why didn't they just call it Halo: ODST then? Why not designate it as a separate spin-off?

Castlevania is a classic example of a dumb game title. Just think about how stupid that name is - an amalgamation of Castle and Transylvania. And yet, nobody pays attention to how dumb the name is very often. :P

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:59 pm »
I do not think Halo 3: ODST is a bad name at all, not amazing though. The 3 is in the title because it has the Halo 3 multiplayer disc. I thought "Combat Evolved" was a much much much much worse title than ODST could ever be.

Probably one of the worst titles SEGA's ever brought out had to be Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. Why call it Deluxe AND Director's Cut?!?

Maybe not terrible names, but I really thought it was retarded how Naughty Dog kept changing the Jak & Daxter titles. Like first was Jak & Daxter the Precursor Legacy, then Jak II then Jak 3 then Jak X Combat Racing? FFUFUFUFUFFFFFFFL

I could probably think of hundreds of bad titles, but I am drunk.g and tired.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:58:00 pm »
I don't like anything with "unleashed" in the title:  Godzilla Unleashed, Sonic Unleashed.  Who is taking their leash off, and why did they have one to begin with?

I also don't like any title (book, movie, video game) that has "rise of the..." or "...rising" in the title.  That's lazy writing, and it makes me think of Hannibal, the Silver Surfer, The Machines (T3) getting up out of bed.  XMEN Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse.

Here's a bad one:  Phantasy Star Online Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution.

Mario Brothers:  Really, Mario's last name is Mario?

Donkey Kong:  What do you get when you cross a donkey and King Kong?  

Q-Bert.  

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:37:08 am »
Well, the werehog caused Sonic to "unleash" his primal instincts, so the title fit. However, I prefer 'Sonic World Adventure'. Though I don't refer to the game as such.

A few awful game titles in my opinion:

MTV Sports: Skateboarding Featuring Andy MacDonald
Game for the Dreamcast, ridiculously long title.

Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire?
Stupid title, stupid cover art probably equals stupid game

Grand prize winner:
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
The "(2006)" is a big clue as to why this title is awful. As the game took the exact same title of the first game, but had nothing common outside of Sonic vs. Dr. Eggman, the game will FOREVER be referred to as anything BUT what it is actually titled. "Sonic the Hedgehog" will always refer to the 1991 game, while "Sonic the Hedgehog" (in reference to the 2006 game) is ALWAYS given the 2006 date tacked on: "Sonic '06". Alternate titles include "Sonic Next", "The really shitty Sonic game" or "Silver the Hedgehog".

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:52:23 am »
Shenmue. I don't think it's a bad title, but the simple fact that everyone that tries to read it the first time gets the pronunciation all fucked up is bothering.

FIFA. What does FIFA have to do with anything?? FIFA is an organization.
Same goes for NBA, NHL, MLB, and all the other sports games that have the name of an organization/league.
And don't get me started on Madden NFL.

Let me look at some of my games...

ToeJam & Earl. ToeJam? Seriously? That sounds painfully disgusting lol

Project Gotham Racing. I don't get it. MSR was better suited.

Shadow the Hedgehog.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:39:32 am »
I couldn't see Shenmue called anything but what it is. As for the mispronunciation, it's only parents and people who know shit about the series that say it wrong. The cool kids (i.e. nearly all the members here, emphasis on "nearly") probably watched the Dreamcast Demo Disc trailer so many times that they had the correct way of saying Shenmue ingrained into their heads. "It's not an RPG. It's not a movie."

More bad titles:

Boogerman
Adventure
Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears

As for titles that I don't get people calling "bad", why the hell is 'Tech Romancer' on all the bad titles lists I'm seeing online? It's not perfect, but it's far from awful and actually suits the game being the mech spoof that it is. I think the haters probably know nothing about the game.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:54:27 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I couldn't see Shenmue called anything but what it is. As for the mispronunciation, it's only parents and people who know shit about the series that say it wrong. The cool kids (i.e. nearly all the members here, emphasis on "nearly") probably watched the Dreamcast Demo Disc trailer so many times that they had the correct way of saying Shenmue ingrained into their heads. "It's not an RPG. It's not a movie."
Yes. Thing is that includes EVERYONE. When you first look at the game, you don't know anything about it. (okay, not you you.. but a regular person that enjoys videogames)
SEG4GES

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:24:47 pm »
When I first saw Shenmue, I thought the "e" was supposed to be pronounced, like it was a Japanese word.  Then I saw they have it written in Japanese "Shenmuu" at the bottom of the cover.  

People all the time still say "shen-myew".

People also mispronounce Yakuza on the Segabits podcast.  The stress should be on the "Ya" YAH-koo-zah", but often non-Japanese people put the stress on "ku" (yuh-KOO-zuh)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:37:07 pm »
My mom calls Shenmue "Shayn-moo-ee"

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:58:10 pm »
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 06:37:45 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
More bad titles:

Boogerman
Adventure
Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears

I actually think the first two are fine. Boogerman was a game about Boogerman, what else would you call it? It's also just an inherintly funny and memorable name. Boogerman.

As for Adventure, you have to remember this is really old school when games were in their infancy. There were games just called 'Bowling' and 'Boxing' on the system, I think Adventure pretty much sums it up. I know it's pretty unimaginative even by the standards of the time, but I don't think it's that bad.

I honestly can't think of many games I really dislike the titles of though honestly.

Scratch that:
'Prinny: Can I really be the hero?'
Worst fucking name ever, I would be too embarrased to ask for that in a game store. Even worse if someone asked what it was while I was playing. *Picture of angry dad from those comics*

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 07:46:34 am »
I make a reversal on 'Adventure'. It isn't a bad title, in fact it is rather ballsy. It assumes that any other game is in no way an adventure in the same way that 'Adventure' is.

I think my only problem with the title is that 'Adventure' could be anything, but it is actually a castle quest sort of game with keys, moats and dragons. It would be better titled 'Dragon Adventure' or 'Castle Adventure'. It's like titling a hockey game simply 'Sports Game'.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:13:30 am »
Circus Charlie is a pretty dumb name lol.
SEG4GES

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:52:51 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Scratch that:
'Prinny: Can I really be the hero?'
Worst fucking name ever, I would be too embarrased to ask for that in a game store. Even worse if someone asked what it was while I was playing.
Wow, sounds like somebody isn't comfortable with their own masculinity. :P