Author Topic: Would incorporating VR in Arcades breath new life into the platform?  (Read 8216 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Would incorporating VR in Arcades breath new life into the platform?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 02:19:25 pm »
Most people seem to have no issues with putting on headphones at Internet Cafes, at least where I live.  Though I understand not wanting someone's dandruff/lice on you.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 02:37:51 pm »
Sorry, didn't mean to derail the topic with sanitary chat, I just think it all depends on how the devices are built and worn. I think places with proper handling and sterilization of equipment could work well. Though I feel that VR requires more attention and upkeep than standard arcade hardware would require.

I know it's not exactly VR, but I heard Star Wars Battle Pod is very engrossing. I played a similar game with full screen projection, it featured fighter jets, and it was awesome.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 01:47:49 am »
VR needs a chair made for it. Something that turns and moves with the movement of whatever controller you're using. It is still indeed a very isolated and rediculous looking(for bystanders) experience. Everytime i've seen someone use it for more than half an hour, they look really pale after putting it off. Doesnt seem healthy either.

I think its sorta like drinking. Its something you either do together in which everyone has such a device on their head, or its one having fun but looking rediculous to the other.

Ontopic: I can defenitly see it work in booths as "rides" in arcades. It could actually revitalize arcades when you think about it. Something you do for a couple of dollars/euros every now and then without the need to buy it. Hmm :) I kinda like the sound of that

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 12:59:23 pm »
Cleanliness is a big issue for me - before last year, the previous time I visited an arcade (2009? 2010?) I got the swine flu and ended up passing it on to a relative.

The hell with that noise. I take that stuff more seriously now - and just generally avoid other people's mystery grime. Oils can build up all over one's body - hair, face, eyelids.

Anyway VR is definitely the future but I don't think it'll facilitate the same experiences or type of games that are remembered in Arcades, like Centrale said.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:41 pm »
Ironically, one of the uses for VR that I'm looking forward to trying is having an arcade environment to play emulators within. ;)

The thing about the arcades was the intensity of the atmosphere. You have 50 games all with their volume cranked up, plus a jukebox blasting some early 80s hard rock, the place was often almost completely unlit except for the light coming from the screens, the sound of the coin/token machines spitting out handfuls of coins. And of course psychologically, the experience of seeing the newest, most powerful computers - the games - that were much more capable than anything you could get your hands on at home.

That last aspect is probably the best thing VR has going for it as a public experience - the potential to have much more powerful systems than average people can afford. But as we saw with the original arcades, that advantage will only last for a while, and probably not nearly as long as it did back in the day.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 04:10:50 pm »
Remember Xbox 360's Game Room? Imagine the ability to walk around your custom arcade with a VR headset.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 05:05:32 pm »
Yep... these developers already have a demo of just that sort of thing (although the arcade games emulated are not the original versions, they're Gameboy Advance ports I think). http://digitalcybercherries.com/

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 01:04:29 am »
This is more of a general thought about VR instead of specifically SEGA.  Just some random thoughts. Couldnt find a better thread to share em

What I wonder is, how many people are willing to look awkaward with that thing on their head. I have a theory about one part to why mobile gaming is so huge, is becauze its the only public gaming that is socially accepted by everyone. Fot the kind of people that value and care about what other people think, 3DS or vita doesnt feel comfortable. I can vouch for that tbh. Having a gaming device on you in public doesnt seem like a cool thing here in the west. I wish I didnt care that much lol.

So lets put that thought into VR. I think a product doesnt only have to be good to succeed nowadays, it has to be socially accepted and considered cool within the era. Well thinking about it this has always been the case. But every era is different.

I think nowadays people care more about their social status/image than ever. I can see VR becoming a thing, but if it does, it wont be a longlasting one perhaps... Those who're offering a VR experience will probably experience a boom, but it'll dwell off more the more people notice how its cool for a one time thing like motion controls
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:01:18 am by CrazyT »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 07:59:12 am »
Bear in mind VR is meant to be done at home, when it's in private I think people are more willing to look silly than on the go and in public.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 10:29:58 am »
Can't wait to play Chain Chronicles on the bus with VR. Gonna be impressive as fuck.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 10:30:22 am »
Can't wait to play Chain Chronicles on the bus with VR. Gonna be impressive as fuck.

But George, what if you miss your stop!?

Offline Centrale

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 10:40:58 am »
What I wonder is, how many people are willing to look awkaward with that thing on their head. I have a theory about one part to why mobile gaming is so huge, is becauze its the only public gaming that is socially accepted by everyone. Fot the kind of people that value and care about what other people think, 3DS or vita doesnt feel comfortable. I can vouch for that tbh. Having a gaming device on you in public doesnt seem like a cool thing here in the west. I wish I didnt care that much lol.

While that's definitely a consideration, I think what's more important to me than looking cool is actually not being vulnerable to being mugged while I'm completely immersed in VR. Maybe it could be okay on a long plane flight where you can feel relatively confident that no one's going to snatch your gold chains.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 11:01:25 am »
 Lol

I didnt mean mainly in public like outside or in the bus. I meant like in attractions or yes even at home. I mean at home you arent always alone either. But even then. To be fully immersed, audio is a requirement so the person wont hear anything to get the best out of it. Like I imagine me being in my room, deciding to give it a good couple of hours. So im moving and doing all kinds of crazy shit. All of a sudden someone comes into my room and sees me acting weird and shit. I mean some wont care but personally I feel a bit uncomfortable looking stupid everytime someone sees me using it... Could be roommates, siblings, parents or the wife. Just seems like a weird thought. But maybe in practice itll be different*shrugs*..