Author Topic: Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program is GO!  (Read 14339 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program is GO!
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »
I am happy to announce that we’re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. The Preview Program will give you the chance to check out ESPN on Xbox LIVE, Zune music, Netflix search, the new Xbox LIVE dashboard, and new updates to Zune video and Family Settings on your Xbox 360*.  Much like we did last year, you’ll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag.  Once you complete the survey that is presented to you, the Connect site will notify you immediately if you’ve been accepted.  A couple of points before you head off to register:

* We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.
    * This is not for Kinect. You will not be receiving a Kinect sensor if you are chosen to participate.
    * This opportunity is open to all Xbox LIVE Members in regions where Xbox LIVE is available.
    * To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information your provide.
    * While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, Priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

I’ll be sure to updated this post if the program fills up.

Good luck!

http://mjr.mn/csMPKf
http://majornelson.com/Default.aspx

-----

I just signed up and was accepted  8-)  Mainly because I really want to dick around with the new dashboard. Also, searching in Netflix is a big "want".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Ulala5

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:11:12 pm »
Same for me, but i guess it will be more or less the same dashboard here as we have no netflix or stuff like this :(
Go Go Channel 5

[Xbox Gamercards

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:24 am »
I am looking for someone willing to hear me swear so I can test this new voice chat audio codec they are implementing in the new version. Candidates? :lol:

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:11:39 am »
I will listen to your crystal clear swears!

I'm looking forward to the menus lying flat rather than receding into an abyss. By the third item, I can't make out what I'm even looking at, so to show the rest of the menu panels is sort of pointless as I'll be moving through the menu anyway.

[youtube:y2t18rnf]FLUOwYX9Ne0[/youtube:y2t18rnf]

[youtube:y2t18rnf]d2a6KBGc0Uo[/youtube:y2t18rnf]

My one gripe is the lack of being able to view your XBLA games in a faux shelf, with 3D rendered boxes and the full cover art as seen in the marketplace rather than a little icon listing. Would make for a nice way to make one feel as though they physically own a game, plus with kinect you could reach out and pull a game off your shelf Shenmue-style. That'd be quite cool.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 03:49:30 pm »
It looks the same ol' NXE, except now the sound effects have reverberation for no apparent reason. I'm sure the console will still open up to ads immediately on startup, which is something I'd love to see them change.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:45:45 am »
I do not really like anything with this change. Not that I hate it, just that I am pretty much fine with how almost everything is now. I do not want to change how the boot-up logo is either...

Change the load up times for my games and I do not think I will care at all. The microphone quality really needed to be improved a lot though, so I am glad that is being fixed. More customization would be nice too, hate how I have to go past the MUSIC, VIDEO and GAMES section just to see my friends list...

Not going to be apart of this program because I do not want to try out any of those features. I just want to play online. Can I pay less if I do not want to use half of your stupid features, Microsoft?

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:54:11 am »
It doesn't really make much of a difference to me. That design is terribly similar to the XMB though, even more than the NXE.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:21:31 pm »
Searching netflix has been in the PS3 version for months, neato feature.

Offline matty

• Total Meseta: 1
    • http://twitter.com/matty_125
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:02:37 am »
Well... at least it's good to know I didn't sign up for a world of hurt. I didn't noticed any real change, but it's still in beta, I guess.

I just wish this means they clean up the Marketplace. That thing is unorganized as all hell. I kept seeing games in sections that really should have been somewhere else.

Here's what I would have done: let go of the slide menus and change them into a grid layout. Like Sanus said, no one needs to go through these categories that people don't need to touch. The point is to make things accessible, right? Unless they want to make what you're looking for feel like searching for the Holy Grail (e.g. dropping Gold accounts).

I sort of like how PSN has their layout set up, but instead of having the drop-down menus just have all the features on the same screen more-or-less, then click it and boom - good to go.
A way to organize your own game library would be great, too

Wishful thinking...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:37:01 am »
I think the Kinect interface is leagues better. Like Sanus mentioned, it's a grid, too bad it is Kinect exclusive and cannot be controlled via controller.

Offline matty

• Total Meseta: 1
    • http://twitter.com/matty_125
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 11:59:43 am »
Kinect exclusive, eh? Boulderdash!

It is a better design, though. Still curious if they cleaned up Marketplace.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »
I'm assuming if you have your 'box set to auto login, you will just have to wave once to get to the Kinect screen. It also looks as though you can customize it, as 8 panels are not enough for all the apps available (I notice ESPN is not there).

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 12:10:02 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I think the Kinect interface is leagues better. Like Sanus mentioned, it's a grid, too bad it is Kinect exclusive and cannot be controlled via controller.

Hmmm... Do you wave your fingers to confirm menu selections, a la the Eyetoy?

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 12:12:40 pm »
You just hold your hand over what you want to select for a few seconds. That is what the partial circle around the hand image is for, it also has voice selection features.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 12:15:25 pm »
"If you see it, just say it!"

Thanks Ron!