Author Topic: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic  (Read 101164 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2013, 06:05:49 am »
That sounds fair to me.  I would like to believe there is a secret amazing game being finalized right now as much as the next guy after all. 

That's not what I'm saying (Nor do I believe that unless Nagoshi and Kikuchi decide to take over the franchise) just there is always more than one team. The next game could be Shadow the Hedgehog 2 for all we know where you have to date multiple girls and get the secrets of the chaos emeralds from their hearts.

As I said prior, I pass my judgement until I see it upfront or can dissect a playthrough before I get interested.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2013, 07:52:09 am »
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/sonic-lost-world

time for SEGA to enact their Metacritic policy and take their Mario clone off the shelves

how disappointing, i knew it looked way too much like a Mario game. I want a Sonic game when i play Sonic, not Mario

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2013, 07:54:00 am »
Just ignore the IGN and Gamespot reviews. Rather than criticizing it for the game that it is, they criticize it for not being the kind of game they want it to be.

Gametrailers and Destructoid have good reviews (though the former has a lot of spoilers in it's video). They're more positive about it than I am, but their points are valid.

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2013, 07:59:59 am »
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/sonic-lost-world

time for SEGA to enact their Metacritic policy and take their Mario clone off the shelves

how disappointing, i knew it looked way too much like a Mario game. I want a Sonic game when i play Sonic, not Mario

Metacritic policy? First time I heard of something like this.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2013, 08:03:02 am »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2013, 08:30:00 am »
Yeah, the guy seems to be unable to clear certain chasms that don't look all that hard to clear.

Gametrailers.com really seems to like this game:
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/6s2vj2/sonic-lost-world-review

The reviews have had a huge gap in between, I've seen a lot of 4/10 and 5/10 but a few 7/10 and a 9/10.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2013, 09:40:30 am »
Seems my initial concerns have come true with most reviewers stating the controls as the reason for the low score. It's funny how Aaron webber earlier on was saying in a video that they were gonna pour a lot more attention on the controls. So much attention that the awkwardly looking controls were unchanged from e3 to release. No buildup acceleration, awkward turns, instant momentum loss. Sonic adventure 1 controls would have made this game a lot better.

The more positive reviews are however catching my interest to buy it eventually so i'll wait for the right time.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2013, 09:51:42 am »
Seems my initial concerns have come true with most reviewers stating the controls as the reason for the low score. It's funny how Aaron webber earlier on was saying in a video that they were gonna pour a lot more attention on the controls. So much attention that the awkwardly looking controls were unchanged from e3 to release. No buildup acceleration, awkward turns, instant momentum loss. Sonic adventure 1 controls would have made this game a lot better.

I've hated the idea about a button to run for a while now. Initially you think how it would work but the more thought you put into it, the worse idea it is because of what type of game Sonic is or rather should be. Really just making Sonic grip a bit more to the ground using the Generations engine would have been enough.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2013, 10:23:45 am »
It could have been done well if they had the right idea. I am not opposed to this speed tier idea, it's just executed in the worst way. Instantly going from one tier to another just looks so unnatural. Especially in the 2d stages you can see how the sonic cd 8 figure starts and stops instantly when(I think) the player presses and releases the run button . It would have been better if there was some kind of build up  and gradual slowdown. But yeah it wasn't broken in previous games to begin with I agree. They could have just kept the R button for actions like running up walls etc instead of a speed tier because I do like that part of the parkour system.

Having said that, I enjoyed pretty low score sonic games before. I can see myself enjoying this. Looking forward to more impressions here.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2013, 10:24:22 am »
Man, these are some of the most divided reviews I have ever seen.  The reactions range from "it's time to end the franchise" to "this is the best sonic has ever worked in 3d".  If anything I hope they keep the slower speed, a simple, colorful art style,  and a greater focus on platforming in later entries.

Sterling, in a surprising twist of fate is one of the game's biggest supporters. 

"Sonic Lost World can wildly swing from brilliant to horrific at the drop of a hat, but when one steps back and takes a look at the whole production, one sees far more to love than hate. Certainly, the nastier elements prevent it from being the truly great installment it could have been, but the experience is good enough to where I would desperately entreat Sonic Team to keep doing what's been started here. Please, no more desperate shifts in tone and level design, no more dramatic new overhauls. On a fundamental level, Lost World absolutely nails it, and does what Sonic should have been doing a long, long time ago. "
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:31:47 am by Radrappy »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2013, 12:20:19 pm »
Ok, I'm now convinced reviewers are idiots and are blinded when it comes to Sonic games. They either hate Sonic outright for historical reasons (originally Nintendo fanboys during the 90s) or they're the flip side and have nostalgic preconceptions of what a Sonic game should be.

If this game was skinned as an original character it would be hailed as the new platforming king.

After reading IGN's review, I found this vid.

Check this out:

Sonic Lost World: You're Too Slow IGN!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3jNLX8IRo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:22:09 pm by Randroid »

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2013, 12:54:45 pm »
While I do think IGN's review is shit, that video isn't much better. The first level isn't really representative of the entire game. Most of the levels don't really allow you to go fast like that.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »
Being that the review's main complaint was not enough speed and control, the video aptly proves that sonic can indeed go fast if needed and maintain great control (in the hands of a skilled player). The video is a great rebuttal of the IGN review. The full game doesn't need to be shown to prove IGN wrong in this case.

The video as a full game review on its own legs, yes it is not enough, but then again I never posted it as such. I only posted it to show that reviewers for this game are flat out wrong.

Offline Kevin-N

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2013, 09:12:46 am »
Sonic the hedgehog ( sms) 10/10
Sonic the hedgehog 2 ( sms ) 8/10
Sonic chaos 7,5/10
Sonic the hedgehog 8/10
Sonic the hedgehog 2 - 10/10
Sonic the hedgehog 3 - 9/10
Sonic & Knuckles 9/10
Sonic CD 7,5/10
Sonic adventure 9/10
Sonic adventure 2 - 10/10
Sonic Heroes 5/10
Sonic the hedgehog 06'  7/10
Sonic unleashed 8/10
Sonic Colors 8,5/10
Sonic generations 9/10
Sonic lost world 7/10
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:45:25 pm by Kevin-N »
SEGA fan 4 life !

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2013, 01:11:28 pm »

Sonic Heroes 5/10
Sonic the hedgehog 06'  7/10

out of pure curiosity, what was it that let you down so much in Heroes compared to 06?