Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675600 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #900 on: June 16, 2015, 11:39:43 am »
You can. There's a manage pledge option once you've donated.

Cool thanks!
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
I'm at $60 now but might up it to $100 which I think is the most sensible tier. Art book and other stuff sound nice, but we really don't know the quality of the capsule toys (unlike the TJ&E kickstarter which had them finished and photographed). Also, I think the tiers are a bit too high for certain prizes. $300 tier is so damn tempting, but I don't have $300 to spend. :(

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
I'm also going for the 100.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
I figure 2.5 years of waiting for the game, that extra $40 allows early access at least.

I wonder if the game will retain Virtua Fighter style combat? That was one of the elements to the game that I think really relied on SEGA and AM2's development abilities. I'd hate to see a cheap imitation or scrapping that sort of combat for something else.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
I figure 2.5 years of waiting for the game, that extra $40 allows early access at least.

I wonder if the game will retain Virtua Fighter style combat? That was one of the elements to the game that I think really relied on SEGA and AM2's development abilities. I'd hate to see a cheap imitation or scrapping that sort of combat for something else.

I'm honestly not sure what to expect. He did mention the move scrolls are going to be different, which I don't like. As I said, I'm bracing for the worst, hoping for the best.

I'm at $60 now but might up it to $100 which I think is the most sensible tier. Art book and other stuff sound nice, but we really don't know the quality of the capsule toys (unlike the TJ&E kickstarter which had them finished and photographed). Also, I think the tiers are a bit too high for certain prizes. $300 tier is so damn tempting, but I don't have $300 to spend. :(

$100 gets you the early access which is nice. I wonder if I would want to do that, or wait for the 'full experience?'.

Hmmm...

Also, thanks for honoring the Kudos Wager, Barrington!

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other

It mostly relied on Suzuki's passion and knowledge of martial arts, so it should still maintain a bare minimum of VF2-style combat. It's the knowledge of the systems in use that matter, not so much the code. Motion capture can be done super cheap these days, if it must be, so they don't need a huge team of animators like before. Animation is also now retargetable on a level that the original Shenmue games didn't have. Unreal 4 was a great choice, btw, for a team that knows how hard it is to build every system and programming library themselves. It'll free them up to only design and code what matters.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits

Also, thanks for honoring the Kudos Wager, Barrington!

Sure! And if the forums see an upgrade to a system with badges, I'll replace the kudos wager with a special Shenmue III Believer badge!

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #907 on: June 16, 2015, 02:17:31 pm »
I doubt SEGA will even lift a finger for this game... Luckily it's coming to PC so if there are a lot of problems and terrible in game models modder will probably fix it.

I'm confident they'll end up with nice art direction in the official release, but yeah... the prospect of modding is really exciting.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #908 on: June 16, 2015, 02:47:54 pm »
Yo dudes, Shenmue avatars are taking over!

I have to say, while I am both excited and a tiny bit fearful of Shenmue III's development process (which won't be a cakewalk), I don't know about other forum members but since III became all but a dream some 10 years ago, I'll admit to ignoring the first two games because the thought of no III stung too hard. I played and replayed the first game, and played through the second twice - once on Dreamcast and once on Xbox, but since around 2004 I really haven't seriously replayed the games outside of revisiting old save files for 30 mins or so during Dreamcast anniversary streams.

But now, with III happening, I feel that I can finally return to the first two and replay them with that sense of sadness replaced with anticipation for III.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #909 on: June 16, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »
I definitely have the urge to play them through again as well. Unfortunately my Dreamcast and games are on the other side of the planet. Might need to look into NullDC emulation.

Either way, it's a very special feeling knowing that we can play the games again and have somewhere to go after Ryo gets into the cave.

I'm not sure how many times I've played each through, but I definitely want to go back and play them a couple times before 3 comes out. I really hope there is some kind of re-release on PS4/PC so that we can transfer the saves as we were always meant to.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #911 on: June 16, 2015, 03:25:59 pm »
Hype train now has an image:

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
I feel like a lot of these people don't know what the game even is (not the youtubers), like it was mentioned on my local news. Final Fantasy VII wasn't mentioned oddly enough

Just weird liking a franchise for over half my life and watching all these people that never even talked or cared about the franchise talk like their experts and thinking that it's a Sony IP.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Well that's about par for the course being a Sega fan, isn't it?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Funny thing is the next game/few chapters are going to be when Ryo gains his super powers.

It's going to be radical man.