Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675621 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1185 on: June 18, 2015, 08:45:09 am »
But surely that's not something that should stop them from offering it? If this is on Steam than they're going to take a 30% of the sale price of the game.

It could be like George or someone said before, Sony wants to publish a physical version of the game.

I wouldn't think it would be a deal-breaker, I'm just speculating as to what it could be. If they have to pay $10 USD for the physical disk of PS4 on top of the PC equivalent it might be less enticing to them?
I don't mean to sound harsh but...

If this is how well they've planned Shenmue 3 then no wonder every publisher got hesitant at publishing it. Even Sony with their "full backing" is only doing "some" funding but are happy enough to fund stuff like Deep Down, Beyond and The Order.

I really hope they sort this out soon, I don't want to get a less than fantastic experience and I don't want Suzuki's career to end with a whimper :/
I don't think the kickstarter page itself should be representative of the game itself.

Either way, his career is already going out on a high, how many other people get to go to E3 after 15 year's absence and announce your dream project's continuation, then literally break a world record in the next ten hours?

There was backlash against SEGA anyway cause they weren't behind it haha.

Makes me wonder if SEGA should ditch their own inhouse engines and just go with Unreal 4 to save time and effort, they'll instantly catch up in the arms race with most publishers too.

Just wait for Hedgehog Engine 2 bro.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1186 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:58 am »
I think there is a misunderstanding going on right now:

People think that The Kickstarter is just a ploy to gauge interest (Thanks to the wording of that NeoGAF thread), and Sony will afterwards completely fund the project.

In reality, Sony just said they will assist with funding (The wording was "Some funding") and it may not be a significant amount. Plus it appears Sony is one out of multiple funding sources according to the KS's FAQm which Suzuki secured before the KS went up.

I hope someone clears this misunderstanding, but know the internet, any misunderstanding that produces Drama will always stick around.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1187 on: June 18, 2015, 08:52:49 am »
I wouldn't think it would be a deal-breaker, I'm just speculating as to what it could be. If they have to pay $10 USD for the physical disk of PS4 on top of the PC equivalent it might be less enticing to them?

But they could have just priced the Kickstarter appropriately? There's not enough tiers in anycase which is a problem.

I don't think the kickstarter page itself should be representative of the game itself.

Either way, his career is already going out on a high, how many other people get to go to E3 after 15 year's absence and announce your dream project's continuation, then literally break a world record in the next ten hours?

E3 is nothing if the final product isn't as good as it should be. I mean yeah its a high, but then if Shenmue 3 is a disappointment it'll be the final thing on his legacy and I wouldn't even want that :/

I'm hopeful on the game but a lot is still dependent on him finding funding from elsewhere, my worry is if this is the extent of research he/Shibuya Productions/Kickstarter team have put into researching how to fund a successful Kickstarter, they might find funding harder than they thought they would.

Just wait for Hedgehog Engine 2 bro.

Powered by the Super Monkey Ball Engine Mk. III

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1188 on: June 18, 2015, 08:55:21 am »
I think there is a misunderstanding going on right now:

People think that The Kickstarter is just a ploy to gauge interest (Thanks to the wording of that NeoGAF thread), and Sony will afterwards completely fund the project.

In reality, Sony just said they will assist with funding (The wording was "Some funding") and it may not be a significant amount. Plus it appears Sony is one out of multiple funding sources according to the KS's FAQm which Suzuki secured before the KS went up.

I hope someone clears this misunderstanding, but know the internet, any misunderstanding that produces Drama will always stick around.

Yes it's completely been misunderstood, Sony will get the credit (Even though they shouldn't entirely, its Yu Suzuki dammit.) and now we have fanboys on both sides, Sony ones proclaiming how they saved the franchise, Microsoft ones proclaiming how Sony is a scummy corp that is just jeopardising this Kickstarter.

In the beginning I had a similar mindset but I think the success of this Kickstarter is going to be essential to what type of Shenmue we get. I just hope Suzuki still has it in him to deliver a great experience, but if anyone can do it, it'd be him!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1189 on: June 18, 2015, 09:11:03 am »
I wouldnt be surprised if it were also SEGA fans themselves feeling uneasy about Sony playing a roll with what happened during SEGA's console days.

My issue is that SEGA isnt anywhere to be seen backing this project. Its worse than bayonetta 2 where at least we could find the SEGA references in the game. An aspect why i loved shenmue is because Ryo Hazuki was walking in a SEGA merchendised world. Im really going to miss that

Offline Pao

« Reply #1190 on: June 18, 2015, 09:16:44 am »
Yes it's completely been misunderstood, Sony will get the credit (Even though they shouldn't entirely, its Yu Suzuki dammit.) and now we have fanboys on both sides, Sony ones proclaiming how they saved the franchise, Microsoft ones proclaiming how Sony is a scummy corp that is just jeopardising this Kickstarter.

In the beginning I had a similar mindset but I think the success of this Kickstarter is going to be essential to what type of Shenmue we get. I just hope Suzuki still has it in him to deliver a great experience, but if anyone can do it, it'd be him!
NeoGAF pretty much controls the media. When the misunderstanding is gone from NeoGAF, it will be gone from the rest of gaming websites (Since that's where they get their news from).  There should be a new thread, explaining how Sony isn't going to fund it 100% and there is multiple funding sources.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1191 on: June 18, 2015, 09:22:30 am »
NeoGAF pretty much controls the media.

I don't think that's true.

Offline Pao

« Reply #1192 on: June 18, 2015, 09:28:20 am »
I think it's true to an extent.  From my observation, an obscure piece of news or media pops-up on the internet... No one reports on it for hours (or even days). A GAF'er posts a thread about it,  moments later every big name website picks the news up.  This is has happened a LOT of times to be considered a coincidence.   NeoGAF is extremely influential on gaming media/journalism.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1193 on: June 18, 2015, 09:33:16 am »
Another thing I feel this Kickstarter is bad is it's not showing why people should be excited. It does a bad job of explaining Shenmue to people who aren't Shenmue fans. Yeah you can go research what Shenmue is but most won't take the time to do that and instead go with the Kickstarter trailer... Which does a horrible job of selling it to people.

I wouldnt be surprised if it were also SEGA fans themselves feeling uneasy about Sony playing a roll with what happened during SEGA's console days.

My issue is that SEGA isnt anywhere to be seen backing this project. Its worse than bayonetta 2 where at least we could find the SEGA references in the game. An aspect why i loved shenmue is because Ryo Hazuki was walking in a SEGA merchendised world. Im really going to miss that

It's one of my worries too, I've loved how Yakuza has slowly gotten more and more SEGA merchandise and I'm going to miss it if Shenmue dumps that (Even stuff like having a little toys in people's houses and whatnot being based on SEGA characters.)

You'd be surprise the amount of news stories are pulled from NeoGAF. Even this website has a lot of news coming from GAF first to us.

Offline Pao

« Reply #1194 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:33 am »
Another thing I feel this Kickstarter is bad is it's not showing why people should be excited. It does a bad job of explaining Shenmue to people who aren't Shenmue fans. Yeah you can go research what Shenmue is but most won't take the time to do that and instead go with the Kickstarter trailer... Which does a horrible job of selling it to people.
That is true for the stretch goals as well... The first stretch goals were for Subtitles... I mean, really?  And then you get stuff like "Battle Event" or "Additional Quest". 

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1195 on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:16 am »

Its true and its bad

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1196 on: June 18, 2015, 09:59:16 am »
Oddly enough, the NPCs in Shenmue 2 were generally speaking much friendlier and if you talked to some of them, they would guide you to the location at a snail's pace. That was a nice touch, but ultimately worthless.

That's not entirely true. It let you get up and go get a drink or go to the bathroom, and when you got back you actually got a little bit forward. It sounds lazy, but I was surprised how much I appreciated it. Plus the maps in that game sucked balls, so it helped to just get an auto-guide to your destination.

As for the budget, I AM concerned about the size of the villages being dependent on the Kickstarter. Exactly how much of the Kickstarter is funding the actual game, and how much from other sources is funding the game? What effect will the outside funding have on top of the Kickstarter funds? If we don't get a certain stretch goal, is that just it? Will the other funds just not be able to cover it? I really hope we get some sort of answer on this soon...

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1197 on: June 18, 2015, 10:00:44 am »
I kind of think Sony haven't got a choice but to make sure this has a certain level of quality now. By putting this in their conference and showing support for Yu, it's put tremendous focus on them and the Kickstarter. Imagine the backlash if this doesn't materialise or ends up being a half baked product come release day?

I dunno. I might be wrong, but to me, giving Shenmue the leg up puts them on the line too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:04:11 am by Tad »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1198 on: June 18, 2015, 10:15:31 am »
He is currently locked in my inner mind, unfortunately Mr. Positivity burns through 10,000 calories an hour and he must be contained during the very important fasting period.

Its hard work being an excitable Muslim!
Made by SEGA

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1199 on: June 18, 2015, 10:16:44 am »

Neogaf and the Jews man... They run the world.
Made by SEGA