Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675596 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1260 on: June 19, 2015, 02:59:46 pm »
I've actually heard some nasty things about Miyamoto. Apparently he's a really unpleasant person to work with and genuinely is obsessed with Mario. He wants him in everything and even tried to put him in Splatoon as a Mario Paint sort of way.

I'm not sure on Suzuki, but Miyamoto does seem overrated to me too. They've always been credited with things like 3D in Starfox on the snes, yet it wasn't even him ( or Nintendo) that achieved it. It was a British team who showed it to them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 03:55:25 pm by Tad »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1261 on: June 19, 2015, 03:03:30 pm »
Both very much stray from the normal developer mindset. They aren't exactly technical guys, they're more like Miyazaki in the say they like to observe the world around them and be influenced by things other than games.

I think one massive advantage Suzuki always held over Miyamoto was that besides being a designer he was a coder too. Miyamoto is a designer/artist but Suzuki knew the drawbacks and advantages of the various bits of programming for a game. It's partially why SEGA held the crown for pushing the technical envelope from the 80s to 90s. People like Suzuki, Naka et SEGA had the best technical wizards in the industry.

I feel they are both hugely important to gaming, and I couldn't say which is 'better' than the other. I do think they are both titans and their contributions are amazing. As Aki said, Yu Suzuki revolutionised fighting games, racing games, adventure games and arcade gaming in general.

Fuck it bro I'm going all in.

Virtua Fighter + Shenmue > Mario Bros + Zelda

Suzuki is an omnipotent level game maker, Miyamoto is an extremely talented human.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1262 on: June 19, 2015, 03:16:08 pm »
You guys... Instead of talking about Miyamoto, we should be trying to clear all the misunderstanding regarding Sony footing the bill for Shenmue 3's KS. I think it's doing more harm than we think.

I contacted Jason Schreier from Kotaku, hopefully he will cooperate.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1263 on: June 19, 2015, 03:16:39 pm »
>kotaku
>cooperation

hahahahahaha

Offline Pao

« Reply #1264 on: June 19, 2015, 03:19:55 pm »
>kotaku
>cooperation

hahahahahaha
Well, if you know better journalists, then by all means contact them.  Or if you're too lazy to do that, drop their E-Mails here and I will do it myself.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1265 on: June 19, 2015, 03:24:14 pm »
You guys... Instead of talking about Miyamoto, we should be trying to clear all the misunderstanding regarding Sony footing the bill for Shenmue 3's KS. I think it's doing more harm than we think.

I contacted Jason Schreier from Kotaku, hopefully he will cooperate.

What sells more;

Man with a dream is resurrecting THE DREAM for the fans

Or

Evil company is out to swindle your money, you won't believe what happens next!

Offline Pao

« Reply #1266 on: June 19, 2015, 03:27:30 pm »
What sells more;

Or

):<

What produces results:

Talking about how overrated Miyamoto is.

Or

Trying to contact people in the press in hopes that one of them would help clear up the misunderstanding that is hampering the KS Campaign?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1267 on: June 19, 2015, 03:30:30 pm »
What sells more;

Or

It's all in how you phrase it.

"This legendary game designer needs your money. You won't believe why!"
"This game announcement left people in tears!"
"Mother of Video Games has miracle cure for fans. Why does the Forbes want to stop it?"

Pao, I think it's a good thing you're doing. I hope that Kotaku might run with the story. I don't know any journalists or even read/follow any gaming sites so I can't help you much I'm afraid.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1268 on: June 19, 2015, 03:34:00 pm »
I hope at the least Fangamer continues helping with this Kickstarter. I could see them supplying official Shenmue merchandise a while after it ends(or even now), and proceeds from it go to Shenmue 3's development. Fangamer makes pretty quality stuff from what I've heard, so I hope they can collaborate with Suzuki to make some truly stand-out stuff.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #1269 on: June 19, 2015, 03:59:33 pm »
The truth is, I don't think anything's really hampering the Kickstarter. Every Kickstarter starts with a big burst and then settles way down. Some of them manage to have a big burst at the end, though, which is what we should be hoping for, and preparing for.

Offline Pao

« Reply #1270 on: June 19, 2015, 04:04:15 pm »
The truth is, I don't think anything's really hampering the Kickstarter. Every Kickstarter starts with a big burst and then settles way down. Some of them manage to have a big burst at the end, though, which is what we should be hoping for, and preparing for.
It's a combination of both.  But you really think the non-hardcore fans are going to pledge anything more than the base reward knowing that a multi-million corporation is footing the bill?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1271 on: June 19, 2015, 04:15:24 pm »

It's a combination of both.  But you really think the non-hardcore fans are going to pledge anything more than the base reward knowing that a multi-million corporation is footing the bill?

One thing to consider is this is still outpacing Bloodstained considerably.

Shenmue 3: $3,278,834
Bloodstained: $1,968,115
Difference: $1,310,719

Shenmue 3 has a 66% increase over Bloodstained, if it continues at this rate, it should hit over $9 million in funding. I get the feeling with more tiers and maybe some major announcements, it might just hit $10 million. I don't think the whispers of SONY FUNDING IT ALL has effected the campaign yet but we'll see, I've been putting it on GAF when I can that Sony isn't pumping much cash into the project.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #1272 on: June 19, 2015, 04:18:59 pm »

No, but I wouldn't expect the non-hardcore fans to pledge anything more than the lower couple of tiers anyway. I mean... I certainly haven't backed any other projects in that way. Like, I'm not a Wasteland fanatic or Castlevania fanatic. You think anything was gonna get me to kick in $250 for Wasteland 2 or Bloodstained? Anything above the two lowest tiers is really for hardcore fans.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/

Offline Pao

« Reply #1274 on: June 19, 2015, 04:32:19 pm »
Of course it should outpace Bloodstained, this is SHENMUE 3 we're talking about here (Which got revealed in Sony's conference, to boot). It has way more exposure than Bloodstained ever did, and let's not forget how passionate Shenmue's fanbase is.   

Plus, Shenmue 3's KS seems to be aiming way higher in terms of stretch goals.  Assuming that there are two more villages aside from Baisha, then stretch goals would probably go to 7M or 8M.

No, but I wouldn't expect the non-hardcore fans to pledge anything more than the lower couple of tiers anyway. I mean... I certainly haven't backed any other projects in that way. Like, I'm not a Wasteland fanatic or Castlevania fanatic. You think anything was gonna get me to kick in $250 for Wasteland 2 or Bloodstained? Anything above the two lowest tiers is really for hardcore fans.
I don't think you have to be a hardcore fan to support a project you're interested in. A lot of people are interested in Shenmue even though they haven't played any game in the series. True that the majority of them won't pledge more than the base reward, but some would definitely want to help the project realize it's potential.  The gaming community knows how expensive Shenmue was to make, and I could see an effort from many to up their pledge so that Suzuki and his team get to make a sequel worthy of the franchise.