Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675568 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1380 on: June 22, 2015, 01:10:43 pm »
Since Chain Chronicle is bigger in scope than most mobile games Yu Suzuki clearly is happy with SEGA creating titles like it, Chaos Dragon, Hortensia Saga etc please try harder next time mang.

Eh, it's still small. However arcade stuff and PSO2 are examples of more "impressive" games, that are profitable similar to Suzuki's arcade games.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1381 on: June 22, 2015, 01:25:36 pm »
Funny that Yu Suzuki stated that he feels bad that companies are making games for a rising market, also considering YS Net's only games are mobile... its a even stranger quote.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1382 on: June 22, 2015, 01:37:45 pm »
PS - I'm fed up with the SEGA hate over this. The game is happening, SEGA allowed him to use the IP. What the fuck else do people want?? I understand the need for Shenmue 1&2 HD, but I'm already seeing comments from people shaming SEGA for not footing the 10 million themselves. Already I've had to spam unrelated comments on the front page for Shenmue 3 supporters who see fit to shit talk any non-Shenmue 3 release because... I don't know, SEGA did something bad in allowing Suzuki to make his third game?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1383 on: June 22, 2015, 01:40:20 pm »
Funny that Yu Suzuki stated that he feels bad that companies are making games for a rising market, also considering YS Net's only games are mobile... its a even stranger quote.

I think it's more concern that mobile games ARE the growing market, rather than annoyed that people are making games for it.
If it weren't such a huge and rising market we'd see more people making larger and more ambitious games is his thinking.

As for YSnet, he probably makes those games because that's the scope his small team can handle, but based on his concepts he spoke about and this interview, he probably loves the fact that he has an opportunity to work on something big again.

He even said this is the most excited he's been to work on a game in a long time.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1384 on: June 22, 2015, 01:46:15 pm »
PS - I'm fed up with the SEGA hate over this. The game is happening, SEGA allowed him to use the IP. What the fuck else do people want?? I understand the need for Shenmue 1&2 HD, but I'm already seeing comments from people shaming SEGA for not footing the 10 million themselves. Already I've had to spam unrelated comments on the front page for Shenmue 3 supporters who see fit to shit talk any non-Shenmue 3 release because... I don't know, SEGA did something bad in allowing Suzuki to make his third game?

Why PS?

Also I think people are over-reacting, but c'mon, it's not surprising to see Sega hate for this. I feel it's stemming from them sitting on the IP and mothballing it for 15 years.

Again, I don't think they deserve hate for it, but it's easy to see why people don't have much love for Sega anymore, considering they've basically become a very dry publisher despite their ownership of countless niche IPs.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1385 on: June 22, 2015, 01:57:49 pm »
I think it's more concern that mobile games ARE the growing market, rather than annoyed that people are making games for it.
If it weren't such a huge and rising market we'd see more people making larger and more ambitious games is his thinking.

As for YSnet, he probably makes those games because that's the scope his small team can handle, but based on his concepts he spoke about and this interview, he probably loves the fact that he has an opportunity to work on something big again.

He even said this is the most excited he's been to work on a game in a long time.
Right, not much publishers can do about what consumers want. The Japanese market has always been weird and has ruined many great things. See sales of SEGA Genesis and Dreamcast in Japan for example.

I also think: 'moe money, better game' is a misunderstanding that is ruining console gaming for awhile and pretty much one of the reasons Japanese publishers aren't making console games. I hope they take a note from indie developers like No Man's Sky, Ashen, Cuphead and a few others that you can make a FUN and Creative game without having to spend 80 million dollars to compete with GTAV.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:00:02 pm by George »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1386 on: June 22, 2015, 02:35:16 pm »
:( It's slowing down...guys, we need to help push this anyway possible. Has anyone tried a twitter drive?

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1387 on: June 22, 2015, 02:53:43 pm »
I just donated my $500. Going to try and work up more. I'm near broke!

Wow, this thread moves fast. I read about twenty pages since the announcement and finally gave up.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1388 on: June 22, 2015, 03:05:48 pm »
What does everybody think about the forklift returning? Suzuki seems to want to make it happen if he can in the context of the story and setting. I think it would be a fun bit of fan service, sort of like how Jurassic World threw in an old Jurassic Park jeep. Maybe Ryo could come across a broken down forklift in one of the villages and for a side quest he helps repair it and move some boxes to assist a townsperson. Or, Ryo finds one at the bad guy's base and uses it to ram into some guys.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1389 on: June 22, 2015, 03:13:12 pm »
What does everybody think about the forklift returning? Suzuki seems to want to make it happen if he can in the context of the story and setting. I think it would be a fun bit of fan service, sort of like how Jurassic World threw in an old Jurassic Park jeep. Maybe Ryo could come across a broken down forklift in one of the villages and for a side quest he helps repair it and move some boxes to assist a townsperson. Or, Ryo finds one at the bad guy's base and uses it to ram into some guys.

Well don't forget the first village is a little rural town, but Suzuki mentioned that later villages he visits will have tourist shops and game centers. They will likely be more modern and if it might be tourism or shipping driven, meaning that a forklift job will make more sense.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1390 on: June 22, 2015, 03:16:33 pm »
:( It's slowing down...guys, we need to help push this anyway possible. Has anyone tried a twitter drive?
It actually seems to be tracking pretty steady:
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

Trending for $14 million, LET'S FUCKING DO IT.

TEN MILLION OR BUST.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1391 on: June 22, 2015, 03:51:26 pm »
That's only if levels stay that high. Which they've been decreasing everyday.
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/dailypledges.png

I don't want people on here raising their pledge unless they really want to. It's more that, we could do PR for them and keep it in people's thoughts. Even if someone just sticks a dollar in, it's something after all.

Getting paypal on there would really help.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:54:26 pm by Tad »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1392 on: June 22, 2015, 04:03:09 pm »
Problem is the Kickstarter does a terrible job of selling the product. I mean if your a Shenmue fan then sure it's a no problem but if you have no idea what Shenmue is you'd most likely not be that interested in it.

It actually seems to be tracking pretty steady:
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

Trending for $14 million, LET'S FUCKING DO IT.

TEN MILLION OR BUST.

They were tracking the game to raise $44 million at one point... not a good estimation unfortunately!

Offline Tad

« Reply #1393 on: June 22, 2015, 04:30:45 pm »
It's difficult. I tried my best to get people interested in Broken Sword 5 (another series I hold close) when that was on kickstarter, but that was easier due to the previous games being so widely available and accessible.

Like Adam Koralik said in his Shenmue video, I hate to say this, but people will probably have to try it via emulation at this point.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1394 on: June 22, 2015, 04:47:46 pm »
Did Yu Suzuki just mention that Ren Wuying might be in this game?