Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675669 times)

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1425 on: June 23, 2015, 09:27:43 pm »
Btw, Shenmue Dojo has been streaming Shenmue 1 (emulated in HD). They're on again right now: http://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1426 on: June 23, 2015, 11:57:11 pm »
Nice!

Someone just pointed out to me that a mix between Telltale and Shenmue, would probably be like Dreamfall Chapters  (not episodic of course). If the game turns out like that, I'd be fine.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1427 on: June 24, 2015, 07:47:00 am »
What do people mean by mix of Telltale? in that you get to talk to people?

I'm not sure what Telltale does that Shenmue doesn't already do, but better.
To be honest, I thought Walking Dead was pretty poor in that all your decisions didn't matter and the puzzles were mostly really easy.

I'd be very disappointed if Shenmue was just talking to people with dialogue trees.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1428 on: June 24, 2015, 07:48:51 am »
I hope you all voted for Nozomi in the latest poll.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1429 on: June 24, 2015, 07:50:57 am »
What did you guys think of the expanded pledge incentives?

I still think they're going with too much physical stuff, though being an NPC or voicing is pretty neat. 

I voted for Joy.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1430 on: June 24, 2015, 07:51:51 am »
I hope you all voted for Nozomi in the latest poll.
Poll?

I think I missed something.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1431 on: June 24, 2015, 07:53:40 am »
Poll?

I think I missed something.

Check your email, there's a Kickstarter update that links you to a poll.

Now that you are in my gratitude I hope you're going to vote Nozomi.

I voted for Joy.

Voted for BOOBS did you?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1432 on: June 24, 2015, 07:57:17 am »
Check your email, there's a Kickstarter update that links you to a poll.

Now that you are in my gratitude I hope you're going to vote Nozomi.

I voted for Delin. I'm not even joking, I really loved that guy. He's just the regular hard working Joe, trying to make ends meet. I loved that he even teaches Ryo a move despite not having any martial arts training, just 'here's what I used in bar-room brawls, son', and it's just a massive fuck-off uppercut.

Favourite mini-game I said Darts, although that was a HARD decision. I think I spent most time in the darts mini games in Shenmue II. Gambling was more important for making that money, but darts was fun.

The new tier possibilities were interesting. I would pay $1k for Dragon Mirrors. Maybe.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1433 on: June 24, 2015, 07:59:24 am »
This is interesting. I assumed everyone went with duck racing!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1434 on: June 24, 2015, 08:27:13 am »
Lan Di. Lucky Hit.

Yes, I'm evil.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1435 on: June 24, 2015, 08:53:44 am »
I've forgotten all the little pieces of music that make up these fabulous games.
I can listen to the main themes over and over, and they get a lot of recognition, but it wasn't until the other day I stumbled onto 'Hazuki Residence Theme' and the nostalgia hit me like a sledge-hammer. It's incredible how I remember all these little pieces of music from various locations.

I just found this one, from airing out the books at the temple in Shenmue II, I remember it so clearly now despite not having played the games in many years. What a phenomenal soundtrack. I need to play these games again soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slXJjMRbn1I&index=96&list=PLC854307CF00BBD22

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1436 on: June 24, 2015, 09:46:02 am »
My votes: Goro, Duck Racing

Also, airing out the books had such great music.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1437 on: June 24, 2015, 10:32:07 am »
What do people mean by mix of Telltale? in that you get to talk to people?

I'm not sure what Telltale does that Shenmue doesn't already do, but better.
To be honest, I thought Walking Dead was pretty poor in that all your decisions didn't matter and the puzzles were mostly really easy.

I'd be very disappointed if Shenmue was just talking to people with dialogue trees.

Yeah, I hadn't really thought about it that way, but you're right. It's basically the same thing, only Shenmue has gameplay around it too. I think Dreamfall, which was another KS, would be a better comparison.

I'm not sure I agree about the walking dead though. Their games lack gameplay, but the writing is usually top notch. But, it does seem to be one of those genre's you either like or don't, so...

I voted for Nozomi and Lucky hit.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:22:16 am by Tad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1438 on: June 24, 2015, 11:05:26 am »
I'm not sure I agree about the walking dead though. Their games lack gameplay, but the writing is usually top notch. But, it does seem to be one of those genre's you even like or don't, so...

That is not true, I hold Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and Five Days a Stranger in very high regard, and think that Grim Fandango in particular is a masterpiece.

Walking Dead felt like a poor imitation of those games. At first playthrough I thought the games made up for the weaknesses by having a more involving branching story where your decisions mattered, but then when talking to others I found out that the game is very on rails regardless of what you do or say, leaving an adventure game with weak puzzles and small locations.
(EG, and spoilers obviously;
Choose to Abandon a woman as punishment and she's left on the roadside. If you choose to forgive her, she just runs away in the next scene anyway.
Choose to keep your hand despite being bitten? It's completely inconsequential if you choose to cut it off too.
Choose to kill someone who might become a zombie? If you don't, someone else kills him in the exact same way anyway.)

END SPOILERS

The characters are mostly pretty good and story is nice of course. I found they are still pretty fun for what is essentially a visual novel, but I think they are very thin experiences. Not trying to bash the game, I actually enjoyed the first Walking Dead, but then lost interest completely when I saw how little influence I had on anything.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1439 on: June 24, 2015, 11:30:59 am »
That is not true, I hold Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and Five Days a Stranger in very high regard, and think that Grim Fandango in particular is a masterpiece.

Walking Dead felt like a poor imitation of those games. At first playthrough I thought the games made up for the weaknesses by having a more involving branching story where your decisions mattered, but then when talking to others I found out that the game is very on rails regardless of what you do or say, leaving an adventure game with weak puzzles and small locations.
(EG, and spoilers obviously;
Choose to Abandon a woman as punishment and she's left on the roadside. If you choose to forgive her, she just runs away in the next scene anyway.
Choose to keep your hand despite being bitten? It's completely inconsequential if you choose to cut it off too.
Choose to kill someone who might become a zombie? If you don't, someone else kills him in the exact same way anyway.)

END SPOILERS

The characters are mostly pretty good and story is nice of course. I found they are still pretty fun for what is essentially a visual novel, but I think they are very thin experiences. Not trying to bash the game, I actually enjoyed the first Walking Dead, but then lost interest completely when I saw how little influence I had on anything.

You could say... you would rather have read a book!

Also [ spoiler ] [ / spoiler ] for spoiler tag.