Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675650 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1455 on: June 24, 2015, 04:54:44 pm »
THE DREAM IS DEAD

Dude... come on. That kind of hyperbole is really counterproductive, and frankly pretty disrespectful to the people who have already made this the most successful game Kickstarter in history. There's really nothing about it slowing down that is unusual for a Kickstarter.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1456 on: June 24, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »
Dude... come on. That kind of hyperbole is really counterproductive, and frankly pretty disrespectful to the people who have already made this the most successful game Kickstarter in history. There's really nothing about it slowing down that is unusual for a Kickstarter.
Though it was obvious I was joking with that, hence the 'Seriously'. :P
Nonetheless It's now tracking way under Bloodstained, and even Mighty No. 09.  I'd say it's not just a result of the usual KS downtime in the middle.  There are other factors at play here.  It started stronger than both of these games, and now it's pretty much limping.  I'm fairly sure the controversy with the funding, and the badly organized campaign were big factors.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1457 on: June 24, 2015, 05:05:47 pm »
I'm not sure. Those other games stand alone and people are in the same situation. Meanwhile, this is the third of five games with many others unlikely not to have played the previous games. It's tough.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #1458 on: June 24, 2015, 05:14:33 pm »
Though it was obvious I was joking with that, hence the 'Seriously'. :P

Sorry, it's tricky to read exaggeration/sarcasm via text sometimes.

I think $5mil is a reasonable expectation. Even when it was 'trending' much higher, I never expected it to hit those outrageous amounts. Personally I think, although it would be cool if a handful of extremely wealthy Shenmue fans were to lay some serious money down on it to push it to some insane record amount, it might be more healthy for the future of the series if we get many tens of thousands more of small contributors.

Anyway, it seems there are some upcoming events... new tiers from the KS organizers, and community-driven events like the $30 on the 3rd, that might breathe some new life into it over the upcoming weeks.

Offline Pao

« Reply #1459 on: June 24, 2015, 05:16:19 pm »
I'm not sure. Those other games stand alone and people are in the same situation. Meanwhile, this is the third of five games with many others unlikely not to have played the previous games. It's tough.
True. But there the first stretch goal is a movie that goes over the event of the first two games and If they bothered to make Shenmue 3 look enticing for first-timers (Like discussing the combat, exploration, and the best bits about Shenmue), I'm sure many would pledge.

Right now, the KS is simply speaking to the fans.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1460 on: June 24, 2015, 05:28:59 pm »
Perhaps...

Shenmue really doesn't appeal to many people at all? I'm sick so the negativity has been hit to record levels.

Still think we'd hit $5 million but it seems the $10 million target is unobtainable.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1461 on: June 24, 2015, 05:33:41 pm »
10 million always seemed like a pipe dream anyway to me.

For me, we're getting to carry on the story in the form the budget allows.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1462 on: June 24, 2015, 05:35:45 pm »
I never really cared for the story and just wanted a new experience. If all we get is a continuation of the plot whatever, not really interested but I'm happy to have contributed something to Suzuki's cause, the man deserves it.

Offline Pao

« Reply #1463 on: June 24, 2015, 05:55:11 pm »
although it would be cool if a handful of extremely wealthy Shenmue fans were to lay some serious money down on it to push it to some insane record amount
Would be a great moment if some impossibly rich Shenmue fan donates millions,  minutes before the Kickstarter closes. :P
Is donating that much even possible in Kickstarter? I heard there is a cap.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1464 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:41 pm »
Would be a great moment if some impossibly rich Shenmue fan donates millions,  minutes before the Kickstarter closes. :P

He/She could just approach Suzuki privately. Although I'm guessing that if they were going to do it, it would have already been done now.

Why do the Arabs only want to buy football teams and not fund video games instead : <

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1465 on: June 24, 2015, 06:00:51 pm »

I remember Starmen.net (that one Earthbound fansite) had a very mysterious rich guy donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to the site, its staff, and pretty much paved the way for it on its own. He even came to one of the creator's weddings, but no one knows anything about him.

I kinda hope that sort of scenario happens with Shenmue.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1466 on: June 24, 2015, 06:08:56 pm »
Well, looking at Bloodstained's history, it made more in the last two days than the first two days. Miracle $2m funding on the last day?

I am a bit concerned about it. I feel like it's struggling especially because it's a direct sequel to a story rich game from 15 years ago as opposed to Bloodstained which is a vague concept that's pretty general "It's a game like all those popular games that people love".

It's also probably being sabotaged (directly or indirectly) by Sega not releasing 1 & 2 HD, so nobody get's to experience Shenmue without dodgy emulation or paying extortionate pricing on ebay.

I've started up a game of Shenmue 2 on my 360. Only ever played through the game on my old Xbox, so I'm starting fresh.

Man up and play it on Dreamcast.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1467 on: June 24, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »
The story itself is nothing incredible. In fact, it's really quite old fashioned, but I think it shines in the way it tells it and through its characters. Ryo's revenge is the end goal, but as he gets closer to it he's maturing and learning. In Shenmue 1, we saw his anger and determination pull him away from those close to him. It wasn't in till Nozomi got into trouble did he realise it's not just him he's dragged into all of this. Then, Nozomi left.

Consumed with his anger, he had simply dropped everything in his life to do this one thing and it was destroying him. I think, that's something that's sort of lost on many people at the end of Shenmue 1. The end scene where he walks through his home town sort of shows what he's leaving behind and then you think why.

In Shenmue 2, we see this again and it isn't in till he's taught to let go of that anger before it gets him killed does he realise. Xiuying thinks she's finally reaching through to him, but as soon as he hears where Lan di is heading, he's off chasing him again. His anger has gone, but his determination hasn't. At this point, Xiuying tries to stop him again, but realises it's useless.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:19:10 pm by Tad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1468 on: June 24, 2015, 06:19:59 pm »
Yeah, the story is just basic revenge plot, but I just want to see all the locations he's going to visit and people he'll meet. Enemies he'll fight and adventures he'll get into. I love big long adventures like that, and that's part of what I want from Shenmue.
Obviously it needs the gameplay too though, we need to be able to actually fight all those interesting enemies, not just watch cutscenes with them.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1469 on: June 24, 2015, 06:33:12 pm »
Oh, they'll be gameplay even in at its current funding. It just won't be as deep as the other two. I did forget to say, it is great to go on these adventures too.