Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675513 times)

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1515 on: June 25, 2015, 04:20:37 pm »
But still I don't get it. What answers are they expecting to hear? What exactly are they supossed to say?

As project manager i think Suzuki could've been more transparent from the get go. When people are helping fund something that costs millions, they have the right to know the details in regards to the funding.

He should've outlined the details of the funding arrangements as well as what people were getting with the $2 mil.

When i heard it hit its goal of $2 mil, i thought wow, that was fast, i guess we're getting a legit Shenmue. Now, i keep hearing about needing to hit $10 mil for the "full experience" whatever that means. These are the types of things that need to be cleared from the start, not days into the Campaign.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:27:09 pm by pirovash88 »
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1516 on: June 25, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »
OK, he should have been more upfront with this matter. But we are getting a legit Shenmue sequel. Was that ever in question?

Being vague is one thing, these publications are making this seem like it's some sort of Ponzi scheme.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1517 on: June 25, 2015, 05:42:16 pm »
Suzuki was always transparent about the funding. He's also been transparent about how much he'd need, check the Kickstarter video to see the first village needs at least $5 million and the other two needed more.

The media has just been putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 3978687.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1518 on: June 25, 2015, 06:43:25 pm »
Yeah, but whoever is running their Kickstarter isn't doing  the best job. I think a lot of the funding that came in the first couple of days where all hardcore fans and would have donated if all the Kickstarter page had was a picture of a dog anus. That's your core base and of course they ate up the overpriced tiers like candy. Which is fine, that's your hardcore fanbase, its what we do.

But the page really lacked everything: Transparency, rewards (everything is way too expensive for new folks), tiers need more information (whats 5x mini-games?).

I feel that Yu Suzuki, with the history the game has, can continue to make headlines via positive things and change the conversation from 'funding and sony etc' to something more positive. Its weird that a game franchise that has so much unknown work done, like having a Saturn prototype, it being a VF RPG, that he isn't using this unknown stuff to keep the game on the news. Maybe its just because I'm a huge Shenmue fan and want him to talk details on its history on a official blog and have sites pick up on it, making Shenmue news reach out (even if its not 'FUND THE KICKSTARTER: LINK!) having history stuff like this keeps the name fresh in mainstream consumers minds.

I think the pricing tiers could do much better, like giving out older promo stuff as rewards that will cost nothing to manufacture cuz you know Yu Suzuki has some rare items from Shenmue 1/2 that he can get a ton of money for.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1519 on: June 25, 2015, 06:54:53 pm »
I would love it if he was able to show us never seen before footage of Project Berkley and the like to garner attention. Visuals and videos like that would go a long way to getting people to notice I think.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #1520 on: June 25, 2015, 07:18:16 pm »
Eh, I think only smaller percentage of Shenmue fans care about the roots and prototypes and of the project.

The product is just not well marketed...it is really just SHENMUE 3 IS HAPPENING and that's it. The website is also horribly put together.

Something like, "What will Shenmue 3 offer me?" is really it. Something along the lines of, "Shenmue 3 will be a spirtual journey through the rural areas of China, with in-depth areas to explore built on the Unreal 4 engine"

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1521 on: June 25, 2015, 07:24:33 pm »
Well that's what I meant with the videos. Explain the history and ambition behind the title, why it was such a big deal.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #1522 on: June 25, 2015, 09:49:40 pm »
New update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1275663

Ick, Battle System stretch goals are $6M-7.5M

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1523 on: June 26, 2015, 12:13:40 am »
It's gone over 10 million too.

I think, this just proves what Yu Suzuki said previously. We are getting the Shenmue experience regardless, but more will just equal even more complex stuff. That, I'm not bothered about. I can't see the KS getting close to the required funding anyway.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1524 on: June 26, 2015, 02:08:41 am »
Realistically speaking hitting 10 million was always gonna be hard. I hope it at least gets into 5 million.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1525 on: June 26, 2015, 07:38:50 am »
Oh shit, look at all this cool stuff. We need to hit $10 mil, let's goooooo.

I would up my pledge to $1k if there was a good reward for that.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1527 on: June 26, 2015, 09:00:22 am »
These guys are having a laugh if they think its going to reach that high... 5million is a reasonable goal.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1528 on: June 26, 2015, 09:03:07 am »
These guys are having a laugh if they think its going to reach that high... 5million is a reasonable goal.

I think 5 mil is almost guaranteed, I would love for a miracle to get to $10m, but it seems so far away now.

Not sure what they would could do at this point to boost interest, short of another major event in the next  20-odd days.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1529 on: June 26, 2015, 11:14:49 am »
So...erm...I am the only one not that bothered if they don't get those stretch goals? They really do seem like extras instead of essentials. The fighting system is good in Shenmue 1 and 2 still and isn't desperate for new tech, we don't really need 4 betting and mini games in each village either. A couple would do the job just like the first two had.