Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675522 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1575 on: July 02, 2015, 09:28:19 am »
Both are fine really...

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #1577 on: July 02, 2015, 02:55:39 pm »
The whole "Japanese version was better" myth has been going around for years in TV, anime and games. It's utter BS

Its no myth the USA/UK versions of Castlevania SOTN, Grandia and Shenmue are beyond afwul and terrible . Not like the class voice acting use for the Western versions of the likes of MGS, D2 (shame about the lip synch) Snacther, Lunar and so on .

Not only is the English dub a waste of time given Corey is one of the worst voice actors there is , is a waste money given the number of speaking parts in a Shenmue game .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1578 on: July 02, 2015, 03:01:50 pm »
Still off but getting there:

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1579 on: July 02, 2015, 04:36:09 pm »
So they are going for a more anime-ish style. Cool. Also, I've noticed that the Kickstarter seems to have picked up the pace a little bit. We've finally gotten to the 3.8 million. Just a little more towards 4 million, come on!

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1580 on: July 02, 2015, 04:49:29 pm »

Its no myth the USA/UK versions of Castlevania SOTN, Grandia and Shenmue are beyond afwul and terrible . Not like the class voice acting use for the Western versions of the likes of MGS, D2 (shame about the lip synch) Snacther, Lunar and so on .

Not only is the English dub a waste of time given Corey is one of the worst voice actors there is , is a waste money given the number of speaking parts in a Shenmue game .

Each to their own I guess. What Japanese versions I've seen in the past have been equally as bad.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1581 on: July 02, 2015, 09:54:12 pm »
That looks so much better!
Moody needs to update her Display Pic now.

Man, this IS much better! I liked the old model but this just absolutely trumps it.

About Corey Marshall being back, I'm super happy about it. His performance really helped bring the whole thing together in my opinion, and there's no way anyone would be able to surpass him for me. At times, he sounded disinterested and not at all invested, but somehow it felt...genuine? There was a sincerity to the role, and that really appealed to me.

I will however admit that Shenmue is easier to take seriously in Japanese. Whether that's on account of the dub or not, I'm not entirely sure. I just know Shenmue the Movie had me laughing at the bad acting in English, but in Japanese got me invested.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1582 on: July 03, 2015, 07:43:34 am »
I know you feel that way, but that's really a matter of conjecture... like I said, objectively, it's a record-setting success. That's simply a fact.

It's objectively bad. Awesome Japan has bungled this thing since the start.

The tier rewards were bad, the presentation was bad, the twitch stream was terrible (Potato quality everything with horrible presenters), poor explanation of what Shenmue is apart from 'We know there are rabid fans that would fund anything' and the stretch goals are amongst the worst I've ever seen.

If you want to point towards the performance, look how abysmally it's been doing the last week or so. Bloodstained never once got daily amounts this low. The beginning boost was thanks to Sony having it at E3 (Thank goodness they did or Shenmue III would continue to be a dream and nothing more with the way this kickstarter is being handled).

This game will struggle to beat Bloodstained at this point, which is a crying fucking shame.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1583 on: July 03, 2015, 07:45:58 am »
I know you feel that way, but that's really a matter of conjecture... like I said, objectively, it's a record-setting success. That's simply a fact.

Adding to what Mang said, Awesome Japan has only successful funded 6 out of 11 projects and managed to raise $66,000 in the process prior to Shenmue.

They really are over their heads, I think they've been lucky enough to get a chance to manage this project.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1584 on: July 03, 2015, 07:46:28 am »
Adding to what Mang said, Awesome Japan has only successful funded 6 out of 11 projects and managed to raise $66,000 in the process prior to Shenmue.

They really are over their heads, I think they've been lucky enough to get a chance to manage this project.

After this one I doubt they'll get many offers for future projects.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1585 on: July 03, 2015, 07:48:09 am »
After this one I doubt they'll get many offers for future projects.

I doubt it, most people will see they managed Shenmue 3 and raised over $3 million and think that they're some sort of miracle workers. I mean we know how incompetent the management of this campaign has been but that's only because we're interested in it, somehow who has no idea will just look at the figures and think they're the perfect media management company.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1586 on: July 03, 2015, 07:51:40 am »
I doubt it, most people will see they managed Shenmue 3 and raised over $3 million and think that they're some sort of miracle workers. I mean we know how incompetent the management of this campaign has been but that's only because we're interested in it, somehow who has no idea will just look at the figures and think they're the perfect media management company.

I was thinking that as well, but I don't want it to be true. Still, you can only get away with that deception once. Wait until the guy from the twitch interview shows up to his next Kickstarter high as a fucking kite with his Dollarama microphone and iPhone3S camera to record an interview and see how they take it.

Offline Moody

« Reply #1587 on: July 03, 2015, 07:53:25 am »
I hope Suzuki takes the criticsms on the Kickstarter to heart and approaches this with a better group from here on. Shenmue doesn't deserve campaign managers this shoddy. My guess is they went with Awesome Japan because they were cheap. I imagine PR can get pretty expensive.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1588 on: July 03, 2015, 07:55:21 am »
New Kickstarter update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsRa2qyU8pA

Interview with Shenmue's Animation Producer

Offline Moody

« Reply #1589 on: July 03, 2015, 07:58:20 am »
Who is this guy doing the dub voice overs in all these? Sounds like he could be a character in Shenmue himself.