Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675669 times)

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1815 on: September 15, 2015, 10:03:07 pm »
And it should be noted that outside of allowing Suzuki to use the IP, SEGA has nothing to do with the release.

I heard rumors that PayPal will be accepted on the 17th, is this true?
I knew it was not being published by Sega. I just didn't know Sega was uninvolved completely. Thought they would at least hire a few people from Sega. Is Yu Suzuki going to be sued for this? Because, I really would love to play the new game. It sounds superb.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1816 on: September 15, 2015, 11:31:52 pm »
SEGA's already given Suzuki and his team the okay to make the game. They're not in any legal gray areas with this, it's all good. Besides, they have most of the big Shenmue team members back for this (composer, programmer, I believe the lead level designer, voice actors, etc.), so they don't need to borrow anyone from SEGA for it.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1817 on: September 16, 2015, 12:18:14 am »
Its a license deal I assume, the same way that SEGA deals with people that make merch for them, like those new records released by Data Disc and those new SEGA books that happen last year. Basically if you get a official license you get the help of SEGA for anything you might need in creation of your project, but SEGA also has a say in what happens with said project.

Meaning that they can refuse to license their brand if they feel something isn't up to their standards but seeing some stuff SEGA has licensed in the past, I don't think Yu has much to worry on that front.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1818 on: September 17, 2015, 01:55:59 am »
The Paypal thingie is online now, features extra rewards:

http://shenmue.link/order/

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1819 on: September 17, 2015, 07:37:04 am »
So basically, they're doing a second campaign, which is lasting way longer than the Kickstarter campaign. I'm all for it. From the sounds of it, it's just another opprotunity to give the game the budget it deserves (which looking at the stretch goals, yeah it needs a little bit more than it got). Kinda disappointed there aren't any PC rewards yet though.

You guys think this'll generate that much more money, or will it not even come close to the original two million goal? Is there a success rate for these sorts of things?

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #1820 on: September 17, 2015, 10:16:30 am »
I don't expect it to earn as much as the KS campaign, but it should still bring in a significant amount of money. From what I've heard, Paypal is set up to be a bit more user-friendly for non-English speakers than KS. On the other hand, Paypal has gained some notoriety for holding onto peoples' money for extended periods of time for various trumped-up reasons (in actuality I believe they're investing it to profit further from it, beyond their official fees).

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1821 on: September 17, 2015, 10:36:55 am »
The Paypal thingie is online now, features extra rewards:

http://shenmue.link/order/

I could say better late than ever but this shit should've been up and running while the campaign was still up.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1822 on: September 17, 2015, 10:41:58 am »
I was hoping for more add-on type rewards for initial backers, and it sort of stinks that the exclusive game case seems to have carried over. As is, the t-shirt for $30 is the only goodie from a higher tier at an affordable price.

However, the email announcement for Kickstarter backers did state "Once the survey system is up and running, add-ons and upgrades will be available for existing Kickstarter backers." So here's hoping they allow us to add on the art book, soundtrack CD, and other items!

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1823 on: September 17, 2015, 01:28:40 pm »
I could say better late than ever but this shit should've been up and running while the campaign was still up.

Yeah, it is kind of striking while the iron is switched off and put away.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1824 on: September 24, 2015, 04:35:13 pm »
Hey! Let's talk about how shitty that PayPal campaign has been. In a little over a week, they have raised $34,773. Okay, so that is a fair amount. That is a year's salary for some. But at $6,368,068 we are just scratching the surface of $6.4 and the next stretch goal isn't until $6.5. Are they even campaigning to bring on more backers, or are they sitting back and letting whatever happens happen?

Offline Tad

« Reply #1825 on: September 25, 2015, 05:45:43 am »
That's not too shabby. The rewards seem far better too. As for its success, I suspect KS is and was always going to be the bulk. Paypal can go on for as long as they'd like really and the more they show of the game, the more hyped etc people will be.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #1826 on: September 25, 2015, 07:10:09 pm »
I think what they need to do is get those surveys out ASAP, as they've said that once those are done people from the KS can add to their original donation.

But they also need to get the word out, bad enough they messed up marketing for the original kickstarter, the Slacker Backer funding needs to do better(Especially since there were people clamoring for a paypal option previously).  Didn't the community tried to get the people from Conan's Clueless Gamer to do an episode on Shenmue to get some attention? maybe try again since the SB campaign is longer?

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1827 on: September 26, 2015, 10:41:57 am »
It's bizarre that they took this long to announce a paypal, the momentum has died down.
I thought the reason they waited is because they would announce it along with an HD remaster of the first two games at TGS from SEGA, but nope, nothing.

I honestly can't see much coming from this Paypal, especially since it's just for a 3 months period.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1828 on: September 26, 2015, 04:50:05 pm »
And on that note, why? Why not keep paypal open till nearer completion.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1829 on: September 27, 2015, 12:13:05 am »
I realized the other day that this may be the most special game for me ever made. Not only because of how good it was (and still is). But how this game captured us all at home. This game seems to bring a pretty special connection between us, in all its greatness and silliness.

So that seems to be a pretty tough job I reckon. I hope it doesnt lose that special charm at least