Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675660 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1905 on: March 05, 2017, 02:39:00 pm »
I'm guessing this isn't coming out till mid 2018, but just for fun, what do you think Shenmue III will actually be about?

We kind of know the plot after Yu Suzuki did a GDC talk about it, but there's a lot of details we still don't know about. Personally, I think it'll start something like this:

Ryo still hasn't fully told Shenhua why he's there and I think this will play a big part. Shenhua will decide to follow Ryo for her father and because of the mirror Lan Di has. Ryo won't like it and will continue to hide the truth of his trip with her tagging along. Eventually, something will happen and after becoming good friends, Shenhua will discover Ryo's real intentions - maybe Ren turns up and let's it slip?

Shenhua will try to talk Ryo out of his quest for revenge numerous times. Maybe not directly, but by talking to him about what he's left behind and even what his father would think ("keep those you love close"). As they work their way through their adventure and Ryo starts making his way through the Chi You Men, Lan Di will realise Ryo is getting close. But more importantly, Lan di will realise where the other mirror is...continued in Shenmue IIII.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that people thought Lan Di heads back to Japan, so if that's true, maybe he's going back to Ryo's house etc.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:43:03 pm by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1906 on: March 06, 2017, 02:49:34 am »
I always got the impression that eventually Ryo becomes so focused on revenge that he loses sight of what really matters, and in the end he will recover to find forgiveness
SEG4GES

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #1907 on: March 06, 2017, 11:53:47 am »
I have the same impression. He's getting guidance all the time to not be consumed by revenge and I imagine at some point he might meet Xiuying's brother, who apparently succumbed to that dark fate. Maybe that will be what puts everything into perspective for Ryo.

On the other hand, a lot of people say that Ryo is already messing everything up by distancing himself from his good friends to go on this quest for revenge. Well, yes and no... it's not like Ryo is a bloodthirsty guy. He's at an age when a lot of people take off to explore the world so the experiences he's having are beneficial. I think he'll reach a point in his martial arts training where he gains a deeper understanding of the world and sees the futility of revenge. The question is, will it be before or after he potentially kills Lan Di? GTA IV presented a similar kind of dilemma and neither possible ending was particularly happy... but I can see Shenmue (IV or V or wherever it actually ends) being more uplifting.

If you check out the GDC presentation Yu Suzuki gave a few years back regarding the original design of what was then Virtua Fighter RPG you can see there was planned to be a significant ending sequence of the game that ... well, I don't want to describe it here in case anyone considers it spoiler territory. It might not even remain as part of the plan for Shenmue but it's interesting to consider as a possibility.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1908 on: March 07, 2017, 01:35:35 am »
I hope they do continue with that idea. It's something quite different from the normal and allows Yu Suzuki to keep his original plot and only having to scrap little parts. I'd love to see how Suzuki will tackle the "aftermath" chapter of this epic storyline.

It's unlikey, but I'd love to see/play as Ryo when he goes home too. Finish the story how it started as such.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1909 on: March 07, 2017, 03:01:04 am »
I'd love to see how Suzuki will tackle the "aftermath" chapter of this epic storyline.
Shin-miu IIII when SayGa!?
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #1910 on: March 07, 2017, 11:30:24 am »
Oh, lord no! lol. I love the games, but it's took this long just to reach the third game. If Shenmue III is a hit, then it might happen, but if not, Yu Suzuki will have no choice but to push for another Kickstater as quickly as possible in order to finish the saga at four.

I'd like to think we'll see the aftermath at the end of four if needs be.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1911 on: March 08, 2017, 08:24:44 am »
What about the aftermath of IV?? We need the V
SEG4GES

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1912 on: March 08, 2017, 11:20:34 am »
Man, they haven't give an update on Shenmue 3 since last X-mas. Getting a little nervous...

Offline Tad

« Reply #1913 on: March 08, 2017, 12:29:03 pm »
What about the aftermath of IV?? We need the V

As I said, I'm hoping they can just squeeze it into the ending of IIII. I'd love for them to be able to keep making more though.

Man, they haven't give an update on Shenmue 3 since last X-mas. Getting a little nervous...

Me too. The last update did state they've entered full production (or something to that manner), so I'm hoping it's just a case of being too busy or waiting till E3 etc.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1914 on: March 09, 2017, 11:24:24 am »
I'm getting a bit pissed off at the lack of updates. They really need to show something soon to win me back.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1915 on: March 09, 2017, 01:24:08 pm »
I wouldn't be too concerned. They've got the core team back and although we haven't seen much yet, what we have seen/heard is inline with what's to be expected at the time of production.

From what I can gather, they've built the functionality needed in the game already using Unreal's blueprint systems and they're now going through the story events etc programming while working on the animations and models.

In case people don't know, the unreal's blueprint system is a real thing of beauty. They're basically scripts that you can use over and over again for multiple uses. For example, in Shenmue, by holding a trigger down you go into first person mode and can sort of "target" items, right? Well, you can make a blueprint for that fairly easy. All you'll have to do is tell the blueprint to this: when right trigger is down, go into first person mode and lock on to any objects with something called "target".

Then all the programmers have to do is create these items/objects and stick a bit of code called "target" in it.

They'll be a blueprint for Ryo walking, jumping, QTE's, talking, actions, QTE's and most things I suspect. It's still a lot of work to do, but it does decrease the time and workload an awful lot compared to the old way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:28:34 pm by Tad »

Offline Tad

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1917 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:37 am »
dem QTEs
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #1918 on: March 16, 2017, 08:24:01 am »
Looks like they're making good progress too. Still no shots of Ryo's face and the model still looked a little off, but that can be changed easily. I'd be happy with the model Sumo used in Sega Racing.

Might just be me, but it also looked like there's going to be an arcade in the game.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #1919 on: March 17, 2017, 04:44:52 am »
I remember hearing rumors years ago that the story would get much more spiritual as the sequels progressed. 
Be like water.