Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675671 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1935 on: May 30, 2017, 05:23:37 am »
We already knew the story was heading to a less open world state, so I don't think that will be a problem. The chances of this ever coming out in 2017 were slim anyway, so no surprise if it does slip back to mid 2018 - any later and I think it might start hitting some real criticism from the media and fans.

I'm confident it will be out though as they have a team of experienced developers and the backing of Yu, Sony and to some extent, Sega. If it didn't come out, I can see the backlash hurting all of them and it probably being the end of Shenmue. I think the main issue this whole game has had is translational really. Yu seems to have a different approach to game design and although it's interesting, the terminology and structure is different to what we're used to seeing. My only real concern (it's minor) is the character models so far. Everything else has been as expected, but they really seem to be struggling with capturing the look of Ryo.

The lack of an update at E3 doesn't really bother me as it would require a seperate build being made for the media resulting in less money and time for the final product. Plus, it's not like they're being silent of the development of Shenmue 3 anyway.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1936 on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:03 am »
[my comment didn't register, fuck it]
SEG4GES

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #1937 on: May 30, 2017, 05:55:36 am »

The lack of an update at E3 doesn't really bother me as it would require a seperate build being made for the media resulting in less money and time for the final product. Plus, it's not like they're being silent of the development of Shenmue 3 anyway.

It should for a game meant to ship in December 2017.  E3 Is a trade show when you're meant to show off your stuff to the world and Shenmue III is not there and so far all we've seen from the game is little clips, next to no actual real gameplay. Feel so sorry for Yu GOD Suzuki he's been let down by both SEGA and SONY who both really should be working and funding the whole project 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1938 on: May 30, 2017, 06:06:38 am »
Realistically, the game was never going to ship in 2017 to begin with.. It was a hopeful date
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #1939 on: May 30, 2017, 06:48:30 am »
It should for a game meant to ship in December 2017.  E3 Is a trade show when you're meant to show off your stuff to the world and Shenmue III is not there and so far all we've seen from the game is little clips, next to no actual real gameplay. Feel so sorry for Yu GOD Suzuki he's been let down by both SEGA and SONY who both really should be working and funding the whole project 

I don't think Yu's been let down really. Sony provided a platform and is apparently marketing the game, while Sega have given them assets and the green light (from what I've heard). I just think targeting 2017 for release was just too soon. The kickstarter hadn't even ended so they didn't know the size of the project and regardless of industry, there's always delays.

The funding is a tricky one. I can understand why Sega felt unsure about pumping more money into another game, but I don't think that's a vaild reason to have just completely ignored it like they have for so long. They spent years just ignoring it even existed.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #1940 on: May 30, 2017, 07:30:42 am »
I don't think Yu's been let down really. Sony provided a platform and is apparently marketing the game, while Sega have given them assets and the green light (from what I've heard). I just think targeting 2017 for release was just too soon. The kickstarter hadn't even ended so they didn't know the size of the project and regardless of industry, there's always delays.

The funding is a tricky one. I can understand why Sega felt unsure about pumping more money into another game, but I don't think that's a vaild reason to have just completely ignored it like they have for so long. They spent years just ignoring it even existed.

Anybody who signs up for PS4 gets a development kit. SONY made a big play of this at E3 2015 , but put little money on the Project. Overlooking the way Yu was treated by SammySEGA. If Sammy want to give new logos and a so-called commitment to old SEGA IP, then what better way that for SEGA Japan to fund and work with Yu On Shenmue III.

Can only see the game getting canned or if it makes it out, a sequel that doesn't and can't possibly live up to fans expectations given its workforce and budget which is simply not enough for an IP like Shenmue which was AAA in every sense of the word
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #1941 on: May 30, 2017, 08:37:05 am »
They could just have 1 and 2 on PSN.  :) And you want to talk about older games running on older computers, there's Saturn games on PSN too.  Saturn games that I played on my Windows 98 and Windows XP.
Be like water.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1942 on: May 30, 2017, 08:55:24 am »
Can only see the game getting canned or if it makes it out, a sequel that doesn't and can't possibly live up to fans expectations given its workforce and budget which is simply not enough for an IP like Shenmue which was AAA in every sense of the word

Why are you so sure? Back in the day, Shenmue was triple A, but times have changed and the technology now allows for so much more to be done with just a few lines of code and the assets. Ryo's story was getting smaller in scope at this stage (Hong Kong was the big part) and as this will help with keeping costs down. Shenmue III was already suppose to be Ryo's adventure through 2/3 villages. We've already seen one complete and that was around June of last year.

As for not living up to expectations, like most things, it won't. Which is why people really need to lower them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:05:41 am by Tad »

Offline Tad

« Reply #1943 on: May 30, 2017, 09:04:10 am »
They could just have 1 and 2 on PSN.  :) And you want to talk about older games running on older computers, there's Saturn games on PSN too.  Saturn games that I played on my Windows 98 and Windows XP.

It really depends on the direction Sega took in development. Most programmers tend to prefer working with flexibility in mind so they don't shoot themselves in the foot later down the line, but with this rumour kicking around for so long, I have to wonder if it was before PS4/XBO.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #1944 on: May 30, 2017, 09:42:32 am »
My only real concern (it's minor) is the character models so far. Everything else has been as expected, but they really seem to be struggling with capturing the look of Ryo.

I don't think they're struggling with Ryo's character model, I think it's just not a high priority for them yet. They've been prioritizing developing the various gameplay systems... finalizing the look of the assets like character models can come later.

I thought the character they revealed recently looks like it fits well with the established stylized aesthetic of some of the wilder NPCs. I'm sure when the "new" Ryo is revealed he'll look fine, although with a passionate fanbase there are sure to be some people who simply can't be satisfied.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1945 on: May 30, 2017, 09:53:48 am »
He looks a lot better, but I just find it a bit weird how they haven't got him right yet. Sumo Digital touched up the original for SEGA Racing and that looked spot on to me.

Speaking of characters:

https://youtu.be/N8hp91ItrnU

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #1946 on: May 30, 2017, 10:16:51 am »
Why are you so sure? Back in the day, Shenmue was triple A, but times have changed and the technology now allows for so much more to be done with just a few lines of code and the assets.

C'Mon most games cost huge amounts of money, sure middleware takes care of the need to build an engine or sound and physics tools. But when you're making a game that meant to be real as possible and create a living and breathing world that takes an army of art and modeling staff alone. One only needs to look at Yakuza credits for that, never mind what Ubi and 2K come up with

And you're right we have moved on and Shenmue III is coming against SEGA own Yakuza, never mind Ubisoft open world games and 2k Red Dead II or GTA V . Can almost see the kicking this game will get on the likes of NeoGAF.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

« Reply #1947 on: May 30, 2017, 10:40:17 am »
Yeah, that's neogaf though. Great for news, awful for hyperbole. The other games you mention might share the same concepts such as being open world, but as we've seen and heard, Shenmue is different in it's execution. I see no reason to suspect they won't release this game and it'll probably get reviews all over the shop just like other kickstarter games. But just like Yooka-Laylee, those who actually play it enjoyed it for what it is.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #1948 on: May 30, 2017, 12:26:09 pm »
Yeah, that's neogaf though. Great for news, awful for hyperbole. The other games you mention might share the same concepts such as being open world, but as we've seen and heard, Shenmue is different in it's execution. I see no reason to suspect they won't release this game and it'll probably get reviews all over the shop just like other kickstarter games. But just like Yooka-Laylee, those who actually play it enjoyed it for what it is.

You don't see many old school platform games so they was a small window for a game like Laylee, not that it's review or sold that great . Shenmue was a AAA pioneering game and Yakuza it's self isn't that open. But it needs a big team of staff and money from SEGA to make it.

I mean look at the new Character in Shenmue III, he looks like he should be in Street Fighter V and not in Shenmue.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

« Reply #1949 on: May 30, 2017, 12:31:42 pm »
Guess we'll have to just wait and see. Fingers crossed it does work out okay though.