Author Topic: Future Classics?  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Future Classics?
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:56:00 am »
What would you consider a future classic in 10+ years?

I think Super Monkey Ball (the first two), GunValkyrie and Billy Hatcher (despite what people think) have already achieved that.

I think these will become future classics from 2005 onwards:

Valkyria Chronicles
The Yakuza Series
Binary Domain
Crush
and The Rub Rabbit games.

Oh, and I think that Fantasy Zone II DX will be very much sought after if or when import prices/consoles crash through the roof once the Yen is weakened (apparently this is happening to strengthen trade).

What about you guys? You can even go from 1998 if you have to!
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Future Classics?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:44 am »
Oh, and I think that Fantasy Zone II DX will be very much sought after if or when import prices/consoles crash through the roof once the Yen is weakened (apparently this is happening to strengthen trade).

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean about the prices for Fantasy Zone II DX.  "Crash" usually means fall, but "through the roof" usually means go up.  If the Yen becomes weaker, import prices for those of us outside of Japan should go down somewhat, unless inflation kicks in immediately.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:59:06 am »
lol Sorry, I used the wrong terminology (I do this quite a bit).

Yeah, I mean soar.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:37 am »
If we're not gushing over GunValkyrie and Billy Hatcher now, then I'd doubt that in 10+ years we'll deem them future classics. Perhaps cult classics is the proper term for them? Both titles are not supported via backwards compatibility by the current iterations of the consoles they appeared on (Wii U doesn't do Gamecube games and 360 doesn't support GunValkyrie), and neither have a strong chance of being rereleased, so I can't see them being easily accessible in the future.

Not to say that I hate either game! Billy Hatcher is a pretty unique Sonic Team title that plays like a Super Monkey Ball platformer, and GunValkyrie is a fun but flawed action game with a bit of a Panzer Dragoon steampunk thing going on. But I can't see them being classics now or future classics down the road.

Super Monkey Ball 1&2 (Super Monkey Ball Deluxe), however, I'd say are modern SEGA classics. TOtally agree on Valkyria Chronicles, The Yakuza Series, Binary Domain and Crush/Crush 3D.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:42 pm »
If we're not gushing over GunValkyrie and Billy Hatcher now, then I'd doubt that in 10+ years we'll deem them future classics. Perhaps cult classics is the proper term for them? Both titles are not supported via backwards compatibility by the current iterations of the consoles they appeared on (Wii U doesn't do Gamecube games and 360 doesn't support GunValkyrie), and neither have a strong chance of being rereleased, so I can't see them being easily accessible in the future.

Not to say that I hate either game! Billy Hatcher is a pretty unique Sonic Team title that plays like a Super Monkey Ball platformer, and GunValkyrie is a fun but flawed action game with a bit of a Panzer Dragoon steampunk thing going on. But I can't see them being classics now or future classics down the road.

Super Monkey Ball 1&2 (Super Monkey Ball Deluxe), however, I'd say are modern SEGA classics. TOtally agree on Valkyria Chronicles, The Yakuza Series, Binary Domain and Crush/Crush 3D.

Yeah this Thread is kinda confusing. I see Billy Hatcher in particular as a...obscure game down the road, not even cult classic.

For Crush to be a Classic it NEEDS to be on PSN/XBLA...

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:20:16 pm »

GunValkyrie is a fun but flawed action game with a bit of a Panzer Dragoon steampunk thing going on. But I can't see them being classics now or future classics down the road.

I agree with this, and it's a damn shame too. If they just allowed custom controls this game would be great. Conceptually, it's damn near perfect.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:41:52 am »

It depends really, there are games that we are only just now discovering that didn't set the world alight 15 years ago (SEGA wise, I discovered NiGHTS as I wouldn't have touched that franchise 3 years ago for various reasons. Non-SEGA wise, ICO/SotC seems to be doing very well considering being one of those games where gamers knew what it was, but weren't as interested in the game until they played them, and the Mother Series...due to Smash Bros.), what's to say that either of those games see a spike in popularity with a new generation of gamers?

I believe GunValkyrie will be another Panzer Dragoon...people appreciate it but it won't ever be that popular, but Billy Hatcher will probably spike in popularity in 10 years down the line when newer SEGA/Nintendo fans re-discover it.

I think both are in the cult status for now, but both have some potential to be given another chance. In fact, I think the All Stars series are doing well representing it to newer gamers at the moment.

Yeah this Thread is kinda confusing. I see Billy Hatcher in particular as a...obscure game down the road, not even cult classic.

For Crush to be a Classic it NEEDS to be on PSN/XBLA...

lol Sorry about that, I sometimes don't word things properly (brain farts when I type fast).

I already explained my train of thought on Billy, but it can go both ways at this point...being on a Nintendo platform it could get recognition by the Nintendo side as an alternative to Super mario Sunshine (which I personally enjoyed), but it could very well fall into obscurity!

I don't think platform choices make a game a classic or not. Valkyria probably would fall into the same problems if it were on the 360. Crush is fine on the handhelds as I don't like being tethered down on a console for puzzle solving experiences. (No offense, I respect your opinion as to why it should go on XBLA/PSN and I fully endorse that!)