Author Topic: Which Franchise should Sega turn into a Freemium App next?  (Read 13775 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Which Franchise should Sega turn into a Freemium App next?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 09:36:58 am »
^Shmups on touch-screen are about as much fun as banging your head against a wall, I would not recommend it.
I got the Raiden collection for Android through a humble bundle and it's nightmarishly bad to play.

As I said, I legitimately think Space Channel 5 or any other rhythm game would work on phones. I would rather it be paid for rather than micro transactions out the ass though (which is what would be more likely to happen sadly).

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 09:44:50 am »
Sonic Shuffle Online!
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 10:01:50 am »
^Shmups on touch-screen are about as much fun as banging your head against a wall, I would not recommend it.
I got the Raiden collection for Android through a humble bundle and it's nightmarishly bad to play.

As I said, I legitimately think Space Channel 5 or any other rhythm game would work on phones. I would rather it be paid for rather than micro transactions out the ass though (which is what would be more likely to happen sadly).

touch screen is the biggest draw back to all of mobile gaming for me. But if they could work their way around it some how I still think Fantasy Zone is the perfect game for the free2play model.
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 09:40:18 am »
touch screen is the biggest draw back to all of mobile gaming for me. But if they could work their way around it some how I still think Fantasy Zone is the perfect game for the free2play model.
Crazy Taxi made touch screen work.
You just have to develop the gameplay around it. Not just port some game and slap it in there
SEG4GES

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 09:43:00 am »
Speaking of Crazy Taxi: City Rush...I just saw the public perception of that game's social media channels are kinda negative...most comments are like...make a real game! Shenmue 3!

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 10:00:11 am »
People are retarded.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 10:05:53 am »
Sega should make Shenmue III an infinite runner, that would use touch-screen controls really well. Make the game around that.

You can play for free to get Ryo out of the cave, randomly generated level where rocks fall from the sky and you pick up Phoenix Mirrors to gain strength. If you want the following chapters, you need to pay per chapter or collect Mirrors in exponentially increasing amounts to unlock later levels (it starts off easy, but becomes next to impossible without paying to finish the story).

You could also sell some nice premium content like buying Ren and Joy to run through levels too. Maybe even cameos from other Sega games? Ulala defeating Lan Di would be a dream come true for many Sega fans.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 10:34:38 am »
Sega should make Shenmue III an infinite runner, that would use touch-screen controls really well. Make the game around that.

You can play for free to get Ryo out of the cave, randomly generated level where rocks fall from the sky and you pick up Phoenix Mirrors to gain strength. If you want the following chapters, you need to pay per chapter or collect Mirrors in exponentially increasing amounts to unlock later levels (it starts off easy, but becomes next to impossible without paying to finish the story).

You could also sell some nice premium content like buying Ren and Joy to run through levels too. Maybe even cameos from other Sega games? Ulala defeating Lan Di would be a dream come true for many Sega fans.

Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 10:53:31 am »
I'll concede I'm running my ideas into the ground, but people seem to like the idea of JSR endless runners and Crazy Taxi City Rush.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 11:16:16 am »
JSR shouldn't be an endless runner. You could press the bottom left corner to initiate motion, and swipe movements with the right hand to control direction and action. Graffiti should be touched based.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 11:18:07 am »
Touch based graffiti would be baller. No idea how to get the platforming to work on touch controls though.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 12:23:09 pm »
JSR for iOS and Android played quite well, so I could see a new game made for the mobile platform working well.

As far as shmups on touch screen devices, I have played a few made specifically for iPad and they play amazingly well. You just put your finger at the bottom of the screen and the ship hovers a few inches in front. Holding down fires (because when are you NOT shooting in a shmup?) and moving around your finger has the ship match that 1:1.

I'd also point to the 3D Classics Space Harrier, the stylus controls were similar to this and were amazing. Have the bottom half act as te track pad and the top half act as the screen.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 12:34:34 pm »
JSR for iOS and Android played quite well, so I could see a new game made for the mobile platform working well.

As far as shmups on touch screen devices, I have played a few made specifically for iPad and they play amazingly well. You just put your finger at the bottom of the screen and the ship hovers a few inches in front. Holding down fires (because when are you NOT shooting in a shmup?) and moving around your finger has the ship match that 1:1.

I'd also point to the 3D Classics Space Harrier, the stylus controls were similar to this and were amazing. Have the bottom half act as te track pad and the top half act as the screen.

Raiden has controls like that too, and it's still terrible because of one issue you cannot avoid: Your finger is covering part of the screen constantly. Sure the ship is 'In front' of your finger, but you need to be able to move up and down as well as left and right. It's terrible unless the game is dumbed down to the point where there is zero challenge anyway.

I've tried playing Raiden a bunch of times with various control methods on phone, because it seems like it would be the perfect quick bus ride game, but it's frustratingly unplayable each time and I end up not touching it. Lucky I got it in a humble bundle. I'm not convinced Shmups can work with touch controls sadly, because it would be great if they did.

Dividing the screen into the track pad and game might work better since you're not covering the screen with your finger constantly, but then you lose half the screen...

As for JSR working on iOS, I'd be interested in seeing that, because even a game with plodding pace like KotOR handles sketchy with touch screen running about, and that's just exploring the hub world. I can't imagine JSR being anything less than headache inducing with touch controls.

I just had a look at a demo and it uses a 'virtual analogue stick'. I personally find those abhorrent, having played a lot of emulated games on my phone with virtua controls they are usually borderline unplayable. Again a big part of this is that your finger covers a big part of the screen, unless you're playing on a tablet, in which case WHY? Just play the DC/360/PC any number of good versions with real controls!?

Has anyone played a lightgun style game on touchscreen? That seems like it might work, but literally touching the screen would kill any challenge for the game, or most of it at least I would think. Otherwise HotD might work. Maybe you could alter it up so it's more about hitting specific points or just more enemies on screen? I know that SNK made a lightgun style shooter recently, but it looks atrocious. If nothing else Sega could do a lazy port of HotD 2 and 3 again or something.
As far as monetization goes, Sega could make you pay for bullets per day (or health or something. Similar to paying at the arcade) as well as some sweet extra playable characters. Ulala would be my pick (she already has a lazer gun after all).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:36:09 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 01:04:29 pm »
Lightgun on a touchscreen works when you bump up the on screen enemies. Turn it into a semi-rhythm game
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 01:11:38 pm »
unless you're playing on a tablet, in which case WHY? Just play the DC/360/PC any number of good versions with real controls!?

Well, I can't exactly bring a DC/360/PC on the go, which is what give JSR iOS an advantage.