Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 239047 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2016, 01:35:23 pm »
I've always been a bit confused with the law of the Sonic universe. When I was a kid, I thought the humanoid animals were sort of "hidden" away from humans (apart from Robotnik) and stopped Robotnik on planet Mobius. But in the adventure games, they seem to suggest humans know of them and they're no longer on mobius and are now trying to re float angel island...any help?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:39:29 pm by Tad »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:23 pm »
I've always been a bit confused with the law of the Sonic universe. When I was a kid, I thought the humanoid animals were sort of "hidden" away from humans (apart from Robotnik) and stopped Robotnik on planet Mobius. But in the adventure games, they seem to suggest humans know of them and they're no longer on mobius and are now trying to re float angel island...any help?

Mobius was something Sega West came up with, otherwise Sonic has always been on Earth according to the Japanese storyline, albeit fantasy version of it.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2016, 01:45:01 pm »

There is no canon explanation or continuity for these games.  Unleashed had human filled cities yet felt no need to acknowledge or mention station square.  I think it's safe to say there are only loose elements binding these games and that any effort to bridge them with logic will only result in a headache.   

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2016, 02:11:26 pm »
I always figure there are more humans than Eggman,  I was also kinda expecting more people than just Eggman who are like him as well...  but Sonic 1 and 2 take place on islands.  There are buildings in the backgrounds of different zones.  If there are no humans living on South Island it is either 1:  Eggman scared them away.  2:  Spring Yard and Star Light kinda face one another or 3:  We just never travel to the city because there is no need.

Offline Tad

« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2016, 02:26:47 pm »
Hmm...I see. Thanks.

I kind of hope if there is a soft reboot, they straighten that all out. Seems a bit all over the place due to different territories making what they want with it. Although, Robotnik is still better than Eggman.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:07:48 pm by Tad »

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2016, 02:51:15 pm »
Robotnik is his true last name, ever since Adventure games I think?  Those games contribute to a lot of lore it seems.  I like Eggman because he is roly poly and more fun to say.

Offline Tad

« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2016, 03:14:21 pm »
Yeah, isn't Eggman his nickname anyway? His real name Ivo Robotnik.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2016, 03:29:50 pm »
Eggman is his name. America had their own storyline and the Robotnik name, Robotnik appeared in a few localized games but it wasn't until Adventure's English translation that they had both names and after that it was just Eggman and materials like manuals would occasionally mention Robotnik. It is to my understanding that the original Eggman was always preferred by Sonic Team and Robotnik was forced by SEGA of America.

Offline Tad

« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2016, 03:44:22 pm »
Aw, really? Eggman seems so goofy though. :(

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2016, 03:59:14 pm »
I should also mention that Sonic Team currently sees Sonic existing in two worlds. One of all animals (any games without humans) and one of all humans (SA1,2,Unleashed). It's based loosely on the plot to Sonic X. I think Sonic Team adapted this after X aired. No game has yet to clearly explain these two realities/worlds, but that's what they go by behind the scenes. Iizuka mentioned this back when Colors released and Aaron Webber expanded on it in a SEGAbits podcast.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2016, 04:04:11 pm »
Eggman/Robitnik's character is the best thing to come out of the SA+ sonic games. That dude has the best lines.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2016, 04:18:18 pm »
I should also mention that Sonic Team currently sees Sonic existing in two worlds. One of all animals (any games without humans) and one of all humans (SA1,2,Unleashed). It's based loosely on the plot to Sonic X. I think Sonic Team adapted this after X aired. No game has yet to clearly explain these two realities/worlds, but that's what they go by behind the scenes. Iizuka mentioned this back when Colors released and Aaron Webber expanded on it in a SEGAbits podcast.

This is kind of contradictory considering the originals clearly had human structures in it not of Robotnik's design (Starlight and Chemical Plant) and that South Island and Christmas Island are real life locations.

Better not to pay attention to the continuity of the series since they honestly didn't put much thought into it.

Offline Tad

« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »
True. You could always just sort of see them as separate anyway.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2016, 05:05:42 pm »
I remember me and a friend tried to concisely put together a timeline for the series based solely on consistency, and all I could come up with was a three timeline setup, with certain games being catalysts to linear splits, and it didn't even encompass every game. The Sonic series has practically no consistency beyond the surface level, so I just don't even try to think about how one game matches up with another anymore, unless it's some direct sequel stuff, which to my knowledge has only happened twice (Sonic 2->Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure 2->Shadow the Hedgehog (Heroes barely mattered in that series)).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2016, 08:27:22 pm »
IIRC the two worlds thing came about in 2008, so it's not something they had established early on. The originals likely didn't have a firm all human or all animal world established, and they just made zones that look cool.