Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Official Pre-Release Topic  (Read 218183 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Official Pre-Release Topic
« Reply #345 on: June 12, 2012, 03:40:46 pm »
I see you're talkin all Mac, but I thought PSO2 was PC only. How does one go about playing PSO2 on a Mac? With Boot Camp or something?

Yup, bootcamp!

lol, i refuse to buy a windows laptop, too risky. Plus i want to use OS X, it's godly.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #346 on: June 12, 2012, 03:46:00 pm »
do i have to, like, spend $$$ on a Windows OS?

I consider myself computer savvy, but I am a weetodd when it comes to that kind of stuff. Not sure what I'd have to get for boot camp, and ideally id want to spend as little as possible.

Here's the info on my work laptop. Is this powerful enough?

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #347 on: June 12, 2012, 03:49:01 pm »
do i have to, like, spend $$$ on a Windows OS?

I consider myself computer savvy, but I am a weetodd when it comes to that kind of stuff. Not sure what I'd have to get for boot camp, and ideally id want to spend as little as possible.

Here's the info on my work laptop. Is this powerful enough?

those specs are definitely good enough, and yeah you do gotta spend $$$$$$$$$$ on Windows but its not toooo bad, you can find good deals on newegg and such.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

this is all you need, if all you are ever going to do is use windows to play games.. and lol.. i can't imagine why else you would want to do anything else on Windows when you got OS X.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #348 on: June 12, 2012, 03:51:28 pm »
Ok, so $100 for PSO2. Not bad, esp since the game is now free. I want to run my home iMac info by you, could you let me know if it is mighty enough for PSO2?

PROCESSOR                 065-7619  2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
MEMORY                    065-7622  4GB 800MHZ DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
HARD DRIVE                065-7625  500GB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
MODEM                     065-6633  NONE

Offline ezodagrom

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #349 on: June 12, 2012, 03:52:19 pm »
Edit: according to these users on neogaf it runs just fine on the old 2011 macbook air! wow! that was intel hd 3000, too. LOL

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37177281&postcount=617
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37177315&postcount=618

Neat

Think i'd be setting myself up for trouble if I tried to play it on a Macbook air? In a way the 13inch pro seems worse then the 13 inch air, such as lower resolution.

Air has lower power processor of course, but they both got same graphics, same ram, and Air has the advantage of being lighter and having an SSD.

what thinks you? think it would run too hot if i tried to play PSO2 on it?

Lol wow, $1200/$1500 for laptops with just an Intel HD4000, while Windows laptops you can get a GTX560M for less. :\

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #350 on: June 12, 2012, 03:53:03 pm »
Ok, so $100 for PSO2. Not bad, esp since the game is now free. I want to run my home iMac info by you, could you let me know if it is mighty enough for PSO2?

PROCESSOR                 065-7619  2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
MEMORY                    065-7622  4GB 800MHZ DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
HARD DRIVE                065-7625  500GB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
MODEM                     065-6633  NONE

Whats the GPU? Everything else looks good.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #351 on: June 12, 2012, 03:55:10 pm »
I'll have to check on the GPU when I get home.

lol, this is what owning a mac does to you. You don't get into all that under the hood stuff, so youre an idiot when it comes to that stuff.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #352 on: June 12, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »
I'll have to check on the GPU when I get home.

lol, this is what owning a mac does to you. You don't get into all that under the hood stuff, so youre an idiot when it comes to that stuff.

lmao, yeah i can imagine, from what i've used of OS X, lol always makes me dread using windows when I've used OS X for like 2 hours straight.

Still going to maintain a windows desktop tower though, just because i don't want to turn mindless, but yeah.. XD

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #353 on: June 12, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »
Okay, got home. Under Graphics/Display I have this:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model:   ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   256 MB
  Vendor:   ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:   0x9583
  Revision ID:   0x0000
  ROM Revision:   113-B2250L-259
  EFI Driver Version:   01.00.259
  Displays:
iMac:
  Resolution:   1680 x 1050
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:   Yes
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Built-In:   Yes
Display Connector:

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #354 on: June 12, 2012, 06:18:14 pm »
Okay, got home. Under Graphics/Display I have this:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model:   ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   256 MB
  Vendor:   ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:   0x9583
  Revision ID:   0x0000
  ROM Revision:   113-B2250L-259
  EFI Driver Version:   01.00.259
  Displays:
iMac:
  Resolution:   1680 x 1050
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:   Yes
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Built-In:   Yes
Display Connector:
That might be able to run at minimum settings, maybe...

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #355 on: June 12, 2012, 10:49:14 pm »
I was an OS X user for 12 years total, I disagree that it's better than Windows, though what I'll say about Windows operating systems is every other version is literal and unarguable shit. I think Windows XP was very competitive with OS X during the time frame that it was on the market, Vista was crap, and 7 is my favorite OS on the market. I disagree that it's better for just games, it's better also due to widespread third party support, and most types of software development; That's the largest reason why I switched to Windows once and for all, it was because once I started to get into Computer Science courses writing C++ on anything other than Windows became a fucking pain in the ass.

Visual Studio is the only thing I'd write C# or C++ in. Java dev. is just as good on Windows as elsewhere if Windows isn't even a little bit better, for Python I'd say it's even closer to a level playing field than Java, but for C#/C++ I wouldn't touch anything else. Also if you are writing shit for Flash Windows > OS X > Linux because Flash runs like shit in OS X and turns into a giant CPU hog. However for web applications I'd probably develop in a Linux distro if I was deploying to a Linux server, since those are becoming more and more prevalent.

Get ready for another piece of shit in Windows 8! I'm sticking to Win 7.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:52:48 pm by TaroYamada »

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #356 on: June 12, 2012, 11:04:28 pm »
Get ready for another piece of shit in Windows 8! I'm sticking to Win 7.
Yeah, hopefully Windows 8 will be a failure in the desktop market, so Microsoft learns the hard way that forcing a tablet UI into desktop users is a terrible idea.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2012, 05:43:30 am »
Yeah, hopefully Windows 8 will be a failure in the desktop market, so Microsoft learns the hard way that forcing a tablet UI into desktop users is a terrible idea.

I am almost sure it will be a bigger blood bath than Windows Vista. Huge mistake on Microsoft's part but they are being aggressive because they want that walled garden Apple dough. Unfortunately it seems to have flown over Ballmer's head that a large reason much of his user base prefers his products is because we feel that we have slightly more freedom within them than Apple's.

I'll never forget being told I could only change my Macbook Pro drive's region 7 times, and on the 7th time it would lock to whatever region I had selected. Apple fanboys will tell you this is something Apple was forced to do this. They're right, MS was forced to do it too. Microsoft however, brilliantly I might add, didn't put the check in the fucking BIOS they put it in Windows Media Player, ergo you can play different regions via things like VLC without worrying, but with Apple that region check is in the FUCKING FIRMWARE. Sent me over the god damn edge when I got back from Japan.

EDIT: Has it been confirmed yet whether we'll be able to transfer Japanese characters to Western servers when those launch?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:55:50 am by TaroYamada »

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #358 on: June 13, 2012, 08:29:55 am »
Has it been confirmed yet whether we'll be able to transfer Japanese characters to Western servers when those launch?
So far it's not even possible to transfer between ships, the ships (servers) are separated, and when you create a character in one ship, you can't use that character in other ships.
A note, Ship 02 is the ship of choice for alot english speaking communities.

Sakai did say that he'll consider adding an option to transfer a character between ships eventually, but for now there's no such option.

If the Western servers have a different update schedule than the Japanese servers, I'm still going to keep playing in the Japanese servers. SEGA of America already showed with PSO and PSU how bad they are at dealing with an online RPG. I wouldn't be surprised if the western servers would eventually start getting increasing delays in content update, and in some years they could even be shutdown prematurely (that is, without receing all content that was launched in the Japanese servers), like most PSO servers and the PSU PC/PS2 and XBox 360 servers.

I'll still make a character on the Western servers if the update schedules are different, but I'll play mostly in the Japanese servers.
It's basically like this, "fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you." (I played in the english PC/PS2 servers, which started with just a 2 months delay in updates and ended with a delay of over 1 year).

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #359 on: June 14, 2012, 08:33:49 am »
Latest post in the Phantasy Star Fan Blog includes a guide to the launcher options, a list of prohibited actions, and screenshot/video guidelines. The post has a note that it may be updated with more info though.
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-site-and-download-begins/

First something important, I already mentioned this before, the ships/servers are separated, and the ship of choice for alot of english speaking communities is Ship 02. Many intend to play in the block 20 of this ship, but if the block is full, they recommend block 21, 22, and so on.

Prohibited actions list:

During your course of PSO2, you’ll meet many players and interact with them. However, sometimes a slight remark or action may trouble your team mates.

Prohibited Actions:

- Real Money Trading Services
- Cheat Tools / Item Modding and Duping
- Unauthorized access / Program modifications.
- Obstructing Administration / Stealing or Fraud

When users are caught performing these actions their accounts may be banned from playing the game. In addition to those actions stated above, other prohibited actions include:

- Altering Stats
- Speed Hacks
- Use of outside programs that affect the game.
- The use of (external programs) to perform actions automatically.
- Slandering specific players or groups.
- Obstructing Admin (harm to game events, false reports, pretending to be admin, etc.)
- Account Phishing
- Etc.

Screenshot and video guidelines:
Phantasy Star Online 2 allows players to record or take screenshots of their gameplay. You may post these screenshots to any website or video hosting site by following the recommendations below:

Screenshots: You may insert the following copyright notation either within the screenshot or below all screenshots you have taken. (This copyright notation is copied directly from PSO2′s official website.)

(C)SEGA

Near where the images are placed, please place a link to PSO2′s official site as follows:

『PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2』公式サイト

http://pso2.jp/

If you can not place the copyright notation within the website, you can take screenshots from within the game and it will embed the copyright notice for you in the lower right corner. (Screenshots are located at DOCUMENTS\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\ folder.)

You are allowed to crop, resize the image, and/or photoshop your player id name or character name. In fact, by taking screenshots within the game, there is  a setting that will remove the user interface and character names as well.

Videos: For those who are streaming videos in real time, or uploading videos onto video hosting websites or blogs, should follow the below recommendations:

Video users should place the copyright notation at the beginning and end of the video for more than two seconds OR within the video description area.

(C)SEGA

In addition, in the video description area, please include the following note:

Changing the playback speed or adding unrelated videos and music to your gameplay is prohibited. You are allowed to edit the video to obscure character or player ID names.

If you are doing a live stream please place this in your stream description area:

(C)SEGA

And to end this post, concept art of the the Cave boss, Vol Dragon and his 3 forms: