Author Topic: SEGA VS Fighting Games - "Better run home to mama now!"  (Read 171605 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: SEGA VS Fighting Games - "Better run home to mama now!"
« Reply #915 on: November 12, 2023, 09:38:19 pm »
Fighting Vipers 2 (Model 3) One Credit Run as Honey - Like a Dragon Gaiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P1JoV9lEWk

Happy Launch Day for Like a Dragon Gaiden! After 25 years since its release for the SEGA Model 3 arcade board, Fighting Vipers 2 finally returns, and I decided to playthrough as Honey with a single credit. Enjoy fellow Vipers!

Source : https://twitter.com/KoriMaru/status/1722615030712025408
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 09:40:35 pm by Berto »

Offline Berto

« Reply #916 on: November 12, 2023, 09:39:21 pm »
They even went as far as the "Amalgam Universe" which consist of characters who are hybrid of DC+Marvel characters. Like, I think there was this one character who is a hybrid of Batman+Iron Man.

Yes, I bought few of Amalgam comics back then, thinking it was gonna be the next cool thing, turned out they are dissapointing.
Even with dark setting, those comics feels like parody than a serious story.

a Sonic theme wrestler would be something... or just wrestlers themed on video game characters in general.

(Give that guy a red mushroom!)

Having a ring around the fighters, Sonic the Fighter is kinda close to that.

Offline Berto

« Reply #917 on: November 13, 2023, 12:13:23 am »
Fighting Vipers Honey / Candy Fan Art by まやし

Source : https://twitter.com/mayashi205/status/1720975147459637623

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #918 on: November 13, 2023, 06:34:30 am »
Fighting Vipers 2 (Model 3) One Credit Run as Honey - Like a Dragon Gaiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P1JoV9lEWk

Source : https://twitter.com/KoriMaru/status/1722615030712025408
I forget these Yakuza games have arcade games packed into them. In a way, yakuza are keeping these old arcade games alive through them.
Yes, I bought few of Amalgam comics back then, thinking it was gonna be the next cool thing, turned out they are dissapointing.
Even with dark setting, those comics feels like parody than a serious story.
I never read them so I dunno what they were like. But you gotta admit DC and Marvel has an interesting relaitonship. You'd think they would be against one another like Coca-Cola and Pepsi or Sega and Nintendo but Marvel's Stan Lee was a fan of a few DC comics and the two comics collabed now and again.
Imagine what kind of movie we would get if the DCEU and MCU made a crossover!
Having a ring around the fighters, Sonic the Fighter is kinda close to that.
yeah, but I mean like, imagine if genuine wrestlers took up personas based on video game characters...

Offline Berto

« Reply #919 on: November 13, 2023, 10:31:48 pm »
I forget these Yakuza games have arcade games packed into them. In a way, yakuza are keeping these old arcade games alive through them.

Yeah, not trying to sound ungrateful but I wish there is new arcade games collection that doesn't force us to play Yakuza games first.

I never read them so I dunno what they were like. But you gotta admit DC and Marvel has an interesting relaitonship. You'd think they would be against one another like Coca-Cola and Pepsi or Sega and Nintendo but Marvel's Stan Lee was a fan of a few DC comics and the two comics collabed now and again.
Imagine what kind of movie we would get if the DCEU and MCU made a crossover!

That time when they joined forces was when the market has too many comics in the market from new competitors.
Spawn, Gen13, and Witchblade were the new cool things.
The downside at that time was the comic market was saturated by too many new superheroines with scantily clad costumes in the cover but have poor stories on the inside that kinda giving comics bad names.

yeah, but I mean like, imagine if genuine wrestlers took up personas based on video game characters...

As a character it would be cool but AEW/WWE shows now are full of wrestlers insulting another wrestlers with strong language and I doubt SEGA would want Sonic involved in that.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #920 on: November 14, 2023, 12:48:07 pm »
Yeah, not trying to sound ungrateful but I wish there is new arcade games collection that doesn't force us to play Yakuza games first.
Same. I mean, I've put down Yakuza 0 (for now) so I'm not that into Yakuza games. Just wish Sega didn't sit on their old IPs like they sit on their thumbs.
That time when they joined forces was when the market has too many comics in the market from new competitors.
Spawn, Gen13, and Witchblade were the new cool things.
The downside at that time was the comic market was saturated by too many new superheroines with scantily clad costumes in the cover but have poor stories on the inside that kinda giving comics bad names.
I guess, but it was still nie for two titanic corporations to put their market rivalry asside to save the business they love, and how Stan Lee who wa soften regarded a representive-sort to Marvel, openly told everyone his favourate DC and non-Marvel comics because he loved comics in general.
As a character it would be cool but AEW/WWE shows now are full of wrestlers insulting another wrestlers with strong language and I doubt SEGA would want Sonic involved in that.
True, but a wrestler could still take up the Sonic mantle as tribute. I mean I doubt that Sonic-garbed wrestler asked for permission.

Offline Berto

« Reply #921 on: November 14, 2023, 08:48:11 pm »
Same. I mean, I've put down Yakuza 0 (for now) so I'm not that into Yakuza games. Just wish Sega didn't sit on their old IPs like they sit on their thumbs.

Money talks. I meant people saying that they flood youtube and facebook comments saying they will insta buy if a game company released their old IPs collection but sales number always proved otherwise. That's why they prefer putting their old games collection as a bonus for other games or online subscribe.

I guess, but it was still nie for two titanic corporations to put their market rivalry asside to save the business they love, and how Stan Lee who wa soften regarded a representive-sort to Marvel, openly told everyone his favourate DC and non-Marvel comics because he loved comics in general.

Stan Lee might not perfect (example: his relationship Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Alan Moore), but he's genueniely a nice guy and never used any cursed words. He also became a lot nicer after retiring from Marvel.

True, but a wrestler could still take up the Sonic mantle as tribute. I mean I doubt that Sonic-garbed wrestler asked for permission.

That's more up to the wrestlers than to SEGA.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #922 on: November 15, 2023, 04:31:41 am »
Money talks. I meant people saying that they flood youtube and facebook comments saying they will insta buy if a game company released their old IPs collection but sales number always proved otherwise. That's why they prefer putting their old games collection as a bonus for other games or online subscribe.
It doesn't realy show confidence.
Meanwhile Nintendo releases another Kirby, Zelda, or other of their many IPs.
Stan Lee might not perfect (example: his relationship Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Alan Moore), but he's genueniely a nice guy and never used any cursed words. He also became a lot nicer after retiring from Marvel.
People often regard him as an icon for Marvel... though I think it's mostly because he liked to cameo in his movies.
That's more up to the wrestlers than to SEGA.
Well, there will always be "Heavy-Metal Mario", a wrestler for the Micro Wrestling Federation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd2-Z14Bmic

Offline Berto

« Reply #923 on: November 15, 2023, 08:51:19 pm »
People often regard him as an icon for Marvel... though I think it's mostly because he liked to cameo in his movies.

He was really the face of Marvel since he loved to meet people and a good PR.
Other Marvel guys in his time spent most of their times in their workplace.

Well, there will always be "Heavy-Metal Mario", a wrestler for the Micro Wrestling Federation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd2-Z14Bmic

Reminded me of Virtua Fighter Kids on SEGA Saturn.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #924 on: November 16, 2023, 07:53:17 pm »
He was really the face of Marvel since he loved to meet people and a good PR.
Other Marvel guys in his time spent most of their times in their workplace.
Because he was a "fan" I suppose. It's one thing to work on making comics but to still be a fan of comics and keeping in touch with the fandom like all the other fans, that's why he is so highly respected.
Reminded me of Virtua Fighter Kids on SEGA Saturn.

I often wonder if they were really kids.... Virtua Fighter Kids I mean. Mai and Lau Chan were both in in and they're father and daughter. And Shun Di was there, bald and hairy.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 07:54:50 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #925 on: November 16, 2023, 10:14:55 pm »
Because he was a "fan" I suppose. It's one thing to work on making comics but to still be a fan of comics and keeping in touch with the fandom like all the other fans, that's why he is so highly respected.

Who do you think the equivalent of Stan Lee in the game industry? Yu Suzuki?

I often wonder if they were really kids.... Virtua Fighter Kids I mean. Mai and Lau Chan were both in in and they're father and daughter. And Shun Di was there, bald and hairy.

Yeah, the title is kinda misleading.
The title was more rig to be Virtua Fighter SD, SD for super-deformed, but I guess VF Kids do sound more cacthy than VFSD.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #926 on: November 17, 2023, 06:57:18 am »
Who do you think the equivalent of Stan Lee in the game industry? Yu Suzuki?
I don't really know. I guess Masahiro Sakurai given he regards the Smash Bros. series as a love letter to all the Nintendo games he loves and was rather in touch with the fans, just not on the same level Stan Lee was with his fans.

Yeah, the title is kinda misleading.
The title was more rig to be Virtua Fighter SD, SD for super-deformed, but I guess VF Kids do sound more cacthy than VFSD.
I guess it sells, I suppose. Though I imagine it would had been more fitting as a handheld title... though none of Sega's handhelds could handle 3D games at the time, not even Virtua Fighter.

But what was interesting about the Game Gear, especially the TV Tuner is that you could hook up consoles such as the Sega Saturn to the TV Tuner (or even later-generation games with mono A/V cables, or HDMI to AV adapters) and play fully-3D games on the Game Gear.

This got me thinking a little, could Sega develop an accessory of sorts similar to the TV Tuner but allows playing 3D games on the Game Gear? Though I imagine the flash drives required for such a device at the time would be costly to make and end up like the 32X, clunky, ugly and not enough funding for use.

Just think it's kind of neat that the TV Tuner was a proof of concept that 3D games could be played on the Game Gear.

Offline Berto

« Reply #927 on: November 17, 2023, 11:48:03 pm »
I don't really know. I guess Masahiro Sakurai given he regards the Smash Bros. series as a love letter to all the Nintendo games he loves and was rather in touch with the fans, just not on the same level Stan Lee was with his fans.

Masahiro Sakurai's definitely humble, just like Stan Lee (after retiring frm Marvel) so yeah I can see why you pick him.

I guess it sells, I suppose. Though I imagine it would had been more fitting as a handheld title... though none of Sega's handhelds could handle 3D games at the time, not even Virtua Fighter.

But what was interesting about the Game Gear, especially the TV Tuner is that you could hook up consoles such as the Sega Saturn to the TV Tuner (or even later-generation games with mono A/V cables, or HDMI to AV adapters) and play fully-3D games on the Game Gear.

This got me thinking a little, could Sega develop an accessory of sorts similar to the TV Tuner but allows playing 3D games on the Game Gear? Though I imagine the flash drives required for such a device at the time would be costly to make and end up like the 32X, clunky, ugly and not enough funding for use.

Just think it's kind of neat that the TV Tuner was a proof of concept that 3D games could be played on the Game Gear.

The memory is the issue, so it had to be done then yeah, it would end up like the 32X.
I thought Sonic Blast was good enough for showing 3D graphic.
The speed wasn't satisying of course due to memory issue and it affect the gameplay but the graphic is good.
Anyone who's saying the game looks ugly probably never saw the game in real Game Gear console.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #928 on: November 19, 2023, 07:20:03 am »
Masahiro Sakurai's definitely humble, just like Stan Lee (after retiring frm Marvel) so yeah I can see why you pick him.
Still, it would had been nice if I was the Stan Lee of video games.
The memory is the issue, so it had to be done then yeah, it would end up like the 32X.
I thought Sonic Blast was good enough for showing 3D graphic.
The speed wasn't satisying of course due to memory issue and it affect the gameplay but the graphic is good.
Anyone who's saying the game looks ugly probably never saw the game in real Game Gear console.

Sonic Blast wasn't really 3D though. Neither was Donkey Kong Country for the SNES, despite everyone saying it is (I do regard "Mode 7" as 3D though). The characters in the game were 3D models rendered on another computer, made into 2D imagine files and them made into sprites. I mean, I never hear anyone calling Sonic 3D Blast a "3D" game despite having "3D" in it's title, using sprites based on 3D models and isometric game.
I can imagine the Game Gear could be made Saturn-tier 3D games though it would require an external accessory like the TV Tuner. It's just the components and CPUs were just not available in that size at the time.

Offline Berto

« Reply #929 on: November 19, 2023, 07:33:55 pm »
Still, it would had been nice if I was the Stan Lee of video games.

That's such a great power. And with a great power, come a great responsibility.

Sonic Blast wasn't really 3D though. Neither was Donkey Kong Country for the SNES, despite everyone saying it is (I do regard "Mode 7" as 3D though). The characters in the game were 3D models rendered on another computer, made into 2D imagine files and them made into sprites. I mean, I never hear anyone calling Sonic 3D Blast a "3D" game despite having "3D" in it's title, using sprites based on 3D models and isometric game.
I can imagine the Game Gear could be made Saturn-tier 3D games though it would require an external accessory like the TV Tuner. It's just the components and CPUs were just not available in that size at the time.

Yep, of course it's not 3D, it doesn't have any special chip like Virtua Racing.
It is just drawn in a way to make it looks like a 3D graphic and I think they did a good job.
Sad thing is 32X is the one who's supposed to produce many 3D games due its special chip but no companies want to invest their time and money in that due to its bad sales.