Author Topic: Golden Axe - Official Thread  (Read 111527 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Golden Axe - Official Thread
« Reply #330 on: June 24, 2023, 09:14:09 am »
My "fan map" of Yuria that I want to use in the games I'm working on. Very rough sketch, obviously not to scale.

You know how in PSO2:NG the world of Halpha is divided into four regions? With Aelio, Retem, Kvaris and Stia?
I like to imagine my take on Yuria with seven regions. Like a 3x3 grid but with two-squares of ocean. I imagine each region roughly the size of Mojave Wasteland.

The terrain is roughly inspired from AB:LotGA and Warrior.

• Old Fyrwüd Kingdom- Before its time, it was a scarce woodland kingdom. But when Death Adder killed the royal family, the queen cast a spell which caused a great forest to cover the lands. Death Adder still claimed the castle as his base while he scoured the forest for the Golden Axe.
  • Fyrwüd- Consisting of rugged hills and valleys, with small tribes and villages dotted about the place. To the north is Mt. Guillegun where carved deep within the heart of the mountain is the Dwarven city and mines.
  • North Region- Coldest lands which consist of blizzards and tundras. At the furthest north of this region where light dances across the sky, you would find Crystal Haven, the city of the elves. But these elves are not your vegan hippy sort, they're hardy and at times aggressive folk with skin as white as snow, behind their beautiful faces hide teeth as sharp as sharks.
  • Volcanic Lands- Imagine the Cauldron with Molton Mines as a dwarven settlement.
  • East Lands- Region of canyon and wasteland that almost look prehistoric. There are some human settlements here who defend themselves from the bogeymen that live in the wastelands.
  • Jungle- The name of the jungle is undecided (Either "Amazing Jungle", "Ama Zone Jungle" or "Urupagu Jungle". It is here the warrior women tribes can be found. there might also be a swamp region in the jungle.
  • Southward Kingdom- Lands and cities inspired by this montage. Inspired by ancient middle-east countries and terrain with some tropical areas.

I've still yet decided if Yuria is located on Bronze-Age Earth, or if it's set in its own "Realm". Realms being independent fantasy oy mythology worlds.
I might expand Yuria into a 4x4 or 5x5 set of regions, make Guillegun Mountains its own region and put a mist-covered swamp between North Region and Volcanic Lands, but depends how I feel if it can fit on a Bronze Age Earth, or its own realm..

(Also, what do you think on my take on elves? I gleamed as much informaiton as I can get on Yurian elves from Keel from Golden Axe: The Duel and mixed in some Snow Elves from The Elder Scrolls. These elves are still "beautiful" but I imagine them less prideful and more hardy, temperamental and strong-willed. In a way they behave more like LotR dwarves.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 04:35:15 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #331 on: June 27, 2023, 05:48:50 am »
My "fan map" of Yuria that I want to use in the games I'm working on. Very rough sketch, obviously not to scale.

You know how in PSO2:NG the world of Halpha is divided into four regions? With Aelio, Retem, Kvaris and Stia?
I like to imagine my take on Yuria with seven regions. Like a 3x3 grid but with two-squares of ocean. I imagine each region roughly the size of Mojave Wasteland.

The terrain is roughly inspired from AB:LotGA and Warrior.

• Old Fyrwüd Kingdom- Before its time, it was a scarce woodland kingdom. But when Death Adder killed the royal family, the queen cast a spell which caused a great forest to cover the lands. Death Adder still claimed the castle as his base while he scoured the forest for the Golden Axe.
  • Fyrwüd- Consisting of rugged hills and valleys, with small tribes and villages dotted about the place. To the north is Mt. Guillegun where carved deep within the heart of the mountain is the Dwarven city and mines.
  • North Region- Coldest lands which consist of blizzards and tundras. At the furthest north of this region where light dances across the sky, you would find Crystal Haven, the city of the elves. But these elves are not your vegan hippy sort, they're hardy and at times aggressive folk with skin as white as snow, behind their beautiful faces hide teeth as sharp as sharks.
  • Volcanic Lands- Imagine the Cauldron with Molton Mines as a dwarven settlement.
  • East Lands- Region of canyon and wasteland that almost look prehistoric. There are some human settlements here who defend themselves from the bogeymen that live in the wastelands.
  • Jungle- The name of the jungle is undecided (Either "Amazing Jungle", "Ama Zone Jungle" or "Urupagu Jungle". It is here the warrior women tribes can be found. there might also be a swamp region in the jungle.
  • Southward Kingdom- Lands and cities inspired by this montage. Inspired by ancient middle-east countries and terrain with some tropical areas.
I've still yet decided if Yuria is located on Bronze-Age Earth, or if it's set in its own "Realm". Realms being independent fantasy oy mythology worlds.
I might expand Yuria into a 4x4 or 5x5 set of regions, make Guillegun Mountains its own region and put a mist-covered swamp between North Region and Volcanic Lands, but depends how I feel if it can fit on a Bronze Age Earth, or its own realm..

(Also, what do you think on my take on elves? I gleamed as much informaiton as I can get on Yurian elves from Keel from Golden Axe: The Duel and mixed in some Snow Elves from The Elder Scrolls. These elves are still "beautiful" but I imagine them less prideful and more hardy, temperamental and strong-willed. In a way they behave more like LotR dwarves.)

Ooh.. that looks cool.
Yuria looks as big as I imagined with your map.
It doesn't look big in the arcade games since we could travel very quickly with just walking.

About elves, well, so far we only see male elves in Golden Axe.
Keel and the thieves.

While I could call Keel beautiful, that's not the case for the Thieves.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #332 on: June 27, 2023, 11:17:45 am »
Ooh.. that looks cool.
Yuria looks as big as I imagined with your map.
It doesn't look big in the arcade games since we could travel very quickly with just walking.
In the original Golden Axe game, the map presented shows the heroes travelling from Firewood to Southwood. Given I plan a sequel with an explorable world map, no point for the first game to have the whole world. I will have to change the story a bit for it to all work, but while the story will be different, it will have all the same elements.

Also, I might put a tropical or rocky island in the centre of the map. It maybe the Island of Axir where Tyris Flare tribe is located. Though, I either I rebrand Tyris' Amazon island tribe or relocate them to the jungle.

I have rough ideas for how each of the regions will look like. If you ever played Fallout: New Vegas and familiar with how big the map is then I imagine each region roughly that size. (As much as I liked Fo:NV for its accuracy to lore and story that allows you to be a more independent and flexible character, I always thought the Mojave Wasteland was rather small compared to the Capital Wasteland or the Commonwealth.)
About elves, well, so far we only see male elves in Golden Axe.
Keel and the thieves.

While I could call Keel beautiful, that's not the case for the Thieves.
The thieves were also identified as "gnomes". In my fan-lore, I reidentified them as bluecaps... and maybe greencaps.

One of Britain's (particularly Scotland's) known types of fairies is called the redcap (also known as redcomb, bloody caps, powries and dunters). The more infamous redcap known as Robin Redcap.

The redcap is a goblin that scours the battlefields of recent conflict for the recently deceased. Some sources say it actually bends over and dips its scalp into pools of blood, others say it has a cloth hat which it soaks with blood. Either way, it's regarded a vamperic, ghoul-like sort of goblin. They live in abandoned castles and if encountered, they will attack you. While they wear iron-clad shoes, they can still run very fast and when they kill you, will feast on your flesh and bathe their caps in your blood.

In Scottish folklore there is such thing as a bluecap but it's much different to redcaps. Bluecaps appeared like blue flames (not to be confused with above ground will o' wisps), like knockers or kobolds, would guide miners towards rich deposits or warn them of dangers such as on-coming cave ins.

In my Golden Axe fan-take on the thieves, instead of elves or gnomes, they're rebranded as these kinds of cloth-hat wearing goblins that are identified by their caps.
I might include variants such as:
Bluecaps- Common variety. They sneak into storages belonging to temples or wizards and steal their potions and magic oil. They would also target unsuspecting travellers.
Greencaps- The gatherers. They go around collecting food for their colonies. Wild fruit, herbs, berries, though will steal fruit and meat from travellers and market places.
Redcaps- Goblins with daggers. While just as agile as the other goblins, they're aggressive and will actively attack you.
Goldcaps- Might be exclusive to GoldEdge, I like to imagine them wearing little crowns. Basically, they have a lot of horns/money on them and maybe other valued collectibles. Rare to come across them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 06:27:44 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #333 on: June 27, 2023, 11:45:58 pm »
In the original Golden Axe game, the map presented shows the heroes travelling from Firewood to Southwood. Given I plan a sequel with an explorable world map, no point for the first game to have the whole world. I will have to change the story a bit for it to all work, but while the story will be different, it will have all the same elements.

Also, I might put a tropical or rocky island in the centre of the map. It maybe the Island of Axir where Tyris Flare tribe is located. Though, I either I rebrand Tyris' Amazon island tribe or relocate them to the jungle.

I have rough ideas for how each of the regions will look like. If you ever played Fallout: New Vegas and familiar with how big the map is then I imagine each region roughly that size. (As much as I liked Fo:NV for its accuracy to lore and story that allows you to be a more independent and flexible character, I always thought the Mojave Wasteland was rather small compared to the Capital Wasteland or the Commonwealth.)

The thieves were also identified as "gnomes". In my fan-lore, I reidentified them as bluecaps... and maybe greencaps.

One of Britain's (particularly Scotland's) known types of fairies is called the redcap (also known as redcomb, bloody caps, powries and dunters). The more infamous redcap known as Robin Redcap.

The redcap is a goblin that scours the battlefields of recent conflict for the recently deceased. Some sources say it actually bends over and dips its scalp into pools of blood, others say it has a cloth hat which it soaks with blood. Either way, it's regarded a vamperic, ghoul-like sort of goblin. They live in abandoned castles and if encountered, they will attack you. While they wear iron-clad shoes, they can still run very fast and when they kill you, will feast on your flesh and bathe their caps in your blood.

In Scottish folklore there is such thing as a bluecap but it's much different to redcaps. Bluecaps appeared like blue flames (not to be confused with above ground will o' wisps), like knockers or kobolds, would guide miners towards rich deposits or warn them of dangers such as on-coming cave ins.

In my Golden Axe fan-take on the thieves, instead of elves or gnomes, they're rebranded as these kinds of cloth-hat wearing goblins that are identified by their caps.
I might include variants such as:
Bluecaps- Common variety. They sneak into storages belonging to temples or wizards and steal their potions and magic oil. They would also target unsuspecting travellers.
Greencaps- The gatherers. They go around collecting food for their colonies. Wild fruit, herbs, berries, though will steal fruit and meat from travellers and market places.
Redcaps- Goblins with daggers. While just as agile as the other goblins, they're aggressive and will actively attack you.
Goldcaps- Might be exclusive to GoldEdge, I like to imagine them wearing little crowns. Basically, they have a lot of horns/money on them and maybe other valued collectibles. Rare to come across them.

Aren't the ears more suit to elves?
Gnomes' ears usually are human-like.

Well, if they are another race like bluecaps/greencaps/redcaps that could explained the confusion of thieves' race.
These bluecaps/greencaps/redcaps are uncommon so people mistakenly think them as elves, gnomes, and even dwarves.

Offline Berto

« Reply #334 on: July 03, 2023, 02:10:49 am »
Golden Axe - Wilderness (Pulse Remix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWL8emKH1mE

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2023, 08:57:23 am »
Aren't the ears more suit to elves?
Gnomes' ears usually are human-like.

Well, if they are another race like bluecaps/greencaps/redcaps that could explained the confusion of thieves' race.
These bluecaps/greencaps/redcaps are uncommon so people mistakenly think them as elves, gnomes, and even dwarves.
I barely notice the pointy ears on the thieves. And sometimes they are known as gnomes. I'm just choosing a definite answer which goes with their colour-scheme.
It will still stay in theme of their original roles in Golden Axe. Just gives them more explanation to their nature.

Offline Berto

« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2023, 07:06:23 pm »
I barely notice the pointy ears on the thieves. And sometimes they are known as gnomes. I'm just choosing a definite answer which goes with their colour-scheme.
It will still stay in theme of their original roles in Golden Axe. Just gives them more explanation to their nature.

Also sometimes they are known as dwarves,
which is weird considering Gillius is dwarf but they don't look the same.
But if we want to cite the official sources (taken from Golden Axe manual book and from Mega Drive Mini manuals) they are elves.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2023, 02:46:01 pm »
Also sometimes they are known as dwarves,
which is weird considering Gillius is dwarf but they don't look the same.
But if we want to cite the official sources (taken from Golden Axe manual book and from Mega Drive Mini manuals) they are elves.

Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, it's like not even the writers themselves can decide what they are conclusively.
This is why I would call them bluecaps and greencaps so that they can have more sense of identity while still being their own thing.

Still, with how the last few weeks been for me, I may shelf my Golden Axe project indef until I have a new sense of normalcy in this new house.

You' think without internet I'd have no distractions nor excuse not to continue my projects but lack of internet just made me feel too depressed to work on them. That and I still need the tutorials which I can only get on YouTube.

Offline Berto

« Reply #338 on: July 11, 2023, 12:53:34 am »
Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, it's like not even the writers themselves can decide what they are conclusively.
This is why I would call them bluecaps and greencaps so that they can have more sense of identity while still being their own thing.

Still, with how the last few weeks been for me, I may shelf my Golden Axe project indef until I have a new sense of normalcy in this new house.

You' think without internet I'd have no distractions nor excuse not to continue my projects but lack of internet just made me feel too depressed to work on them. That and I still need the tutorials which I can only get on YouTube.

Working with computer is synonymous with having access to internet now.
It wasn't like that back then but they feel inseparatable now.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #339 on: July 15, 2023, 10:16:55 pm »
Working with computer is synonymous with having access to internet now.
It wasn't like that back then but they feel inseparatable now.
It's like the invention of nuclear weapons. Not something we could just go back on.

Offline Berto

« Reply #340 on: July 16, 2023, 08:00:47 pm »
It's like the invention of nuclear weapons. Not something we could just go back on.

Offline Berto

« Reply #341 on: July 16, 2023, 08:09:59 pm »
Retro Game Books’ “Video Game Maps: Genesis & Mega Drive” releases physically and digitally

This book features maps from over 100 Genesis and Mega Drive games, includes memories from thirty gamers and, oh yeah, features a foreword written by yours truly!
You can snag the physical version for $40, and it features 226 full color pages in a paperback format and includes a sticker of the cover art.
The digital version, meanwhile,  can be had for $4.95. Having paged through it myself, it’s ... 

Article : https://segabits.com/blog/2023/07/13/retro-game-books-video-game-maps-genesis-mega-drive-releases-physically-and-digitally/

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #342 on: July 16, 2023, 09:51:05 pm »

you get what I mean. Once a revolutionary idea becomes physical, we can't unmake it.

Offline Berto

« Reply #343 on: July 17, 2023, 03:31:06 am »
you get what I mean. Once a revolutionary idea becomes physical, we can't unmake it.

Yes, you're right.
And in this modern world sometimes it doesn't need to be physical.
Once it's invented, we can't uninvent it.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #344 on: July 17, 2023, 11:13:46 pm »
Yes, you're right.
And in this modern world sometimes it doesn't need to be physical.
Once it's invented, we can't uninvent it.
Yeah, that was the metaphor I was trying to convey.