WiiU
1 (7.1%)
PC
5 (35.7%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: May 12, 2014, 12:04:38 pm

Author Topic: PS4 or Xbox One?  (Read 24467 times)

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: PS4 or Xbox One?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 08:18:33 pm »
Well, I wouldn't say PS4 does gaming better. Graphical differences have proven insignificant so far. The lower price is a big plus, though the whole reason why the One is more expensive is because it comes with the Kinect and a better headset, something the PS4 package doesn't have an answer to. So it's not as if your only getting a slightly inferior machine for that price, your also getting more in the package. For whatever that's worth, anyway. I've yet to use the Kinect camera for gaming, so I'm not going to defend it's inclusion.

Really, in terms of functionality, the one place where PS4 has One beat is in how the installations work. When you buy a game on the PS4, it'll sometimes be made available instantly, and the longest I've ever waited for an installation is about 15 minutes? On One? When I first got it it took an hour before it would let me play Ryse. I don't know if it was the slow connection or what, but it should NEVER take a disc based game that long to FULLY install, let alone get to 21% and become fully playable.

PS4 also has superior social functions....probably....I never really use them so I can't really comment on that. Also why I'm not commenting on the merits of Kinect 2.0

In the end, I really only have two recommendations when it comes to getting into the next gen:

1. Don't do it now. It's not worth it. Most of the current library for both systems are available on the current generation of systems, and I know there are at least a couple big name games coming that our cross gen. Infamous Second Son led me back to using my PS4 for about a week, and now I've done everything there is to do and the system is back to gathering dust. These systems are NOT currently worth full price, and by the time they are they will probably be a lot cheaper. At least wait until the holiday season when we have games like Arkham Knight coming.

2. If you've got the money to burn, your better of spending it on games for consoles you already own. I'm sure there are plenty of hidden gems out there that you haven't bought yet. Research some reviews, play some demos. If you don't own some of the older systems like PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, or Vita, they are each infinitely more valuable and worthwhile purchases then any of the next gen consoles right now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:22:30 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 09:30:41 pm »
Knuckles, you think Ryse looks good? :/

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »
I think Ryse looks great. Definitely a game you show off to friends to introduce them to Next Gen.

I disagree with Nuckles a bit, I'd say if you've got cash to burn, jump into Next Gen. That's what I did, got a nice Xmas bonus and could afford one so I did and I don't regret it. Ryse and Dead Rising 3 alone made it well worth it.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 11:14:44 pm »
Compared to anything else currently available on home consoles, yes.

I think Ryse looks great. Definitely a game you show off to friends to introduce them to Next Gen.

I disagree with Nuckles a bit, I'd say if you've got cash to burn, jump into Next Gen. That's what I did, got a nice Xmas bonus and could afford one so I did and I don't regret it. Ryse and Dead Rising 3 alone made it well worth it.

Well certainly, if you have cash to BURN, why not. I have had fun with both my One and my 4. My problem is that the fun was fleeting, and there are plenty of better ways to spend $400-$500 if your strapped for cash.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:26:34 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline George

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:22 am »

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 09:34:35 am »
Pretty sure that's running on a PC. It's like Nuckles said, Ryse looks great, for what's available on consoles right now.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 11:40:18 am »
Well, I wouldn't say PS4 does gaming better. Graphical differences have proven insignificant so far. The lower price is a big plus, though the whole reason why the One is more expensive is because it comes with the Kinect and a better headset, something the PS4 package doesn't have an answer to. So it's not as if your only getting a slightly inferior machine for that price, your also getting more in the package. For whatever that's worth, anyway. I've yet to use the Kinect camera for gaming, so I'm not going to defend it's inclusion.
You act as if the Xbox One coming with a Kinect is a plus. Lots of people aren't really interested in the Kinect, including me. That Microsoft isn't selling an SKU without the Kinect is something I don't really get at all. Also, I'd say that there's a pretty significant difference in graphics, specifically when it comes to the resolution. With a lot of games that run at 1080p on PS4 that run at 900p or 720p on Xbox One. There doesn't seem to be a big difference in framerate with the exception of Tomb Raider, which runs at sub-30fps on Xbox One and 45-60fps on PS4.

Really, in terms of functionality, the one place where PS4 has One beat is in how the installations work. When you buy a game on the PS4, it'll sometimes be made available instantly, and the longest I've ever waited for an installation is about 15 minutes? On One? When I first got it it took an hour before it would let me play Ryse. I don't know if it was the slow connection or what, but it should NEVER take a disc based game that long to FULLY install, let alone get to 21% and become fully playable.

PS4 also has superior social functions....probably....I never really use them so I can't really comment on that. Also why I'm not commenting on the merits of Kinect 2.0
You forgot the part where the Xbox One requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription for things like Internet Explorer, Skype and video recording, while you only need Playstation Plus for online multiplayer on PS4. I'd say that's a pretty big difference as well.

In the end, I really only have two recommendations when it comes to getting into the next gen:

1. Don't do it now. It's not worth it. Most of the current library for both systems are available on the current generation of systems, and I know there are at least a couple big name games coming that our cross gen. Infamous Second Son led me back to using my PS4 for about a week, and now I've done everything there is to do and the system is back to gathering dust. These systems are NOT currently worth full price, and by the time they are they will probably be a lot cheaper. At least wait until the holiday season when we have games like Arkham Knight coming.
Agreed.

2. If you've got the money to burn, your better of spending it on games for consoles you already own. I'm sure there are plenty of hidden gems out there that you haven't bought yet. Research some reviews, play some demos. If you don't own some of the older systems like PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, or Vita, they are each infinitely more valuable and worthwhile purchases then any of the next gen consoles right now.
Partially agreed, you forgot about the PC. :V

Offline George

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 01:11:56 pm »
Pretty sure that's running on a PC. It's like Nuckles said, Ryse looks great, for what's available on consoles right now.
But my PC runs Crysis 3 on ultra and most of the parts are like... from 2008/2009. Why should anyone even buy a Xbox one or PS4 when you can get a PC for the same price that is better than mine? You know, you get to actually run games at 1080p and at 60fps.

This game came out in 2007. Let that sink in.... now look at Ryse. Its last generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtt9gMnm_l4

You can get a PC (no monitor) built for like 800 and in the long run save a shit ton of cash on steam sales. Crysis? I got it 3 dollars. Crysis 3? Part of a humble bundle (6 bucks for 10 games including Deadspace 3).

Its hard to go back to consoles  after you get 1080p 60fps and up guaranteed if your hardware can run it (and running games at 1080p is easy for a cpu from 2007, imagine if I upgraded?)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:20:35 pm by George »

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »
Crysis 3 looks really good, but i still think Ryse looks better. It's a great looking console game, i'm sure it doesn't measure to up to what current PC games can do, but i still don't mind being limited on Consoles.

With me, it's all about Console exclusives. Games that i cannot get on a PC. I wouldn't mind having a great gaming rig, but i wouldn't be able to play all of the great exclusives that come out of buying an Xbox, PS4, or Nintendo Console.

Offline George

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2014, 02:29:01 pm »
Crysis had more foliage, shadowing and better textures. Look at the lack of textures on the rocks. That and it runs at 900p, not even 1080p. Not sayying Ryse isn't a great looking game, it is, but technically its just a nice looking last gen PC game running on new hardware that can do way more.

We will see that game in 3 years and say "Wow, can't believe I thought it was amazing looking." I remember people praising the graphics on Resistance.

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2014, 03:26:51 pm »
Ryse: Press "A" to Awesome
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2014, 04:18:16 pm »
Ryse: Press "A" to Awesome
Nah, that's Asura's Wrath. Ryse is Press "A" to Generic.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 04:39:33 pm »
Crysis had more foliage, shadowing and better textures. Look at the lack of textures on the rocks. That and it runs at 900p, not even 1080p. Not sayying Ryse isn't a great looking game, it is, but technically its just a nice looking last gen PC game running on new hardware that can do way more.

We will see that game in 3 years and say "Wow, can't believe I thought it was amazing looking." I remember people praising the graphics on Resistance.

Well, there were a few levels with some of foliage and i thought they looked pretty good. I always thought the environments looked pretty good.

I'm sure we'll eventually say it doesn't look all that great, but doesn't everyone say that when Next Gen comes around? I used to think Mario 64 looked incredible.

@ TimmitT - You ever play it?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:49:40 pm by pirovash88 »

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 05:27:39 pm »
@ TimmiT - You ever play it?
Nah, but I've seen enough of it to know that it's too automated, with an incredibly boring look. It's technically impressive for a launch game, but being technically impressive doesn't mean good looking. You post that screenshot as if it's meant to be a good representation of the game's graphics, but to me it just looks like more of the same grey and brown look seen in Battlefield 4, Crysis, Assassin's Creed etc. The gameplay also doesn't look much more than QTEs. And while Asura's Wrath uses QTEs to make incredibly awesome shit happen, Ryse just uses it for unimaginative brutal kill animations that don't look much more special than the brutal kill animations in most other games.

Slightly off-topic, but trying to look realistic is probably one of the biggest problems with AAA games. Stylistic games could look far, far better with these impressive engines, yet they're mostly used to make games look more realistic. Even though games are still incredibly far from looking even close to realism. As a result, just a few of years games like Ryse will look like crap because there are more impressive looking games at that point. Meanwhile, games like The Wind Waker, Okami and even Uncharted 2 can be ported to new consoles while still looking amazing because they use their own art styles to compliment what can be done with their engines. Even inFamous Second Son uses good art style to accompany it's somewhat realistic visuals.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 05:41:04 pm »
Nah, but I've seen enough of it to know that it's too automated, with an incredibly boring look. It's technically impressive for a launch game, but being technically impressive doesn't mean good looking. You post that screenshot as if it's meant to be a good representation of the game's graphics, but to me it just looks like more of the same grey and brown look seen in Battlefield 4, Crysis, Assassin's Creed etc. The gameplay also doesn't look much more than QTEs. And while Asura's Wrath uses QTEs to make incredibly awesome shit happen, Ryse just uses it for unimaginative brutal kill animations that don't look much more special than the brutal kill animations in most other games.

Slightly off-topic, but trying to look realistic is probably one of the biggest problems with AAA games. Stylistic games could look far, far better with these impressive engines, yet they're mostly used to make games look more realistic. Even though games are still incredibly far from looking even close to realism. As a result, just a few of years games like Ryse will look like crap because there are more impressive looking games at that point. Meanwhile, games like The Wind Waker, Okami and even Uncharted 2 can be ported to new consoles while still looking amazing because they use their own art styles to compliment what can be done with their engines. Even inFamous Second Son uses good art style to accompany it's somewhat realistic visuals.

Well, if you'd play the the game you'd know that the QTE's are optional, you don't have to use them if you don't want to. I'm sorry, but i feel like you've got to at least play the game to give it a legit opinion. You can't really bash something without giving it a shot first. When people learned that QTE's would play a part in Ryse, the first thing they assumed is that it would be a QTE fest, and it's not.

As for Assassins Creed being brown, take a look at a few screenshots of IV, it really isn't all that bad, especially with the Caribbean setting and all.