Author Topic: Sonic Generations General Discussion  (Read 164262 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Sonic Generations General Discussion
« Reply #420 on: November 03, 2011, 07:10:06 pm »
I heard the game is 60 fps on PC?! True or false?!

CrazyTails and Ezo are going to be partying hard tonight!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #421 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:55 pm »
I just had to come here and say that the 60 frame per second looks  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #422 on: November 03, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »
I just had to come here and say that the 60 frame per second looks  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw you bro, screw you, its okay though, I still love you. Though.

Tell me how the controls are too, I would be interested to know if lag is a issue for the PC version.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #423 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:02 pm »
Screw you bro, screw you, its okay though, I still love you. Though.

Tell me how the controls are too, I would be interested to know if lag is a issue for the PC version.
hahaha love you too bro.

There are no input lags, the game runs fluidly on 1080p and 60 fps with occasional slowdowns(mostly in modern levels, but i gotta get confirmation from ezo maybe, if it's my hardware or not). Honestly I gotta say that i'm quite impressed with how perfect if not better the hedgehog engine functions on PC hardware. The visuals look astonishing compared to any screenshit i've seen on the net. No jaggies, no pixels or whatever. The 1080p settings is literally what it says instead of being an overscale of lower rez.

Now for the game itself. I am very impressed, but as I progress i'm starting to feel that the stage list is indeed quite bland when you go from the dreamcast era. This is all opinion and i'm trying to come off as non biased as possible. I was young around the adventure era as well so i'm just as much fan as any other, I just think the picks are really meh. I loved speed highway however. Disagree with the reviews all you want, i'm not forcing myself to feel that way, but I can now relate to what they meant.

Controls aren't bad either for both sonic's. Modern sonic controls better than both colors and unleashed. The level designs have so much alternative paths that you get kinda dizzy at times lol, but i mean that in a postive way. You get used to classic sonic but no doubt his gameplay woulda been so much better if he controlled like the classics, but it's fun nonetheless.

Overall i'm really impressed but the more i progress the less I look forward to the next stage because of the choices. Dreamcast era being kind of the lamest. The one I look forward to most is planet wisp.

Edit: Oh yeah and i'd like to add that the loading times are really short.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:52:26 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #424 on: November 04, 2011, 07:37:38 am »
I look at the PC specs and I think my Toshiba can handle it, but it's almost at it's limit.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #425 on: November 04, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »
So I finished the game, and it was pretty good. As i've said in my previous post, it doesn't feel like it gets more epic as you progress. For me personally it didn't get better than sky sanctuary allthough I really like spagonia for classic. What made all that up actually was the egg dragoon boss. The 3 main bosses are easy but they're still quite thrilling and enjoyable.

The final boss was uhh, was allright I guess. The cutscenes which come after made up for the averageness of the final boss.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #426 on: November 04, 2011, 08:05:40 pm »
The final boss was uhh, was allright I guess. The cutscenes which come after made up for the averageness of the final boss.

Considering we've had Metal Overlord, Iblis and Dark Gaia in the past, I am okay for a average final boss,  it's probably going to take Sonic Team half a decade more before they make a truly outstanding Sonic game.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #427 on: November 04, 2011, 08:23:39 pm »
two things

-Time eater was worse than all of the bosses you mentioned

-Colors's final boss was excellent. 

The most confusing thing about time eater was that it felt completely out of place in terms of quality.  In a game that is mostly well designed and full of lovingly crafted details, the lack of effort and planning that went into the final boss sticks out like a sore thumb.  No one should be surprised that the bosses to Unleashed and 06 are of dubious quality. 

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #428 on: November 04, 2011, 08:48:15 pm »
Everything about the Time Eater battle reminded me of Wizeman, I think the head of Sonic Team wants to make NiGHTS 3 but SEGA won't let him, so he's going to turn the Sonic series into NiGHTS.. I guess we will see if that's what he does. xP

I don't mean literally of course, but you can't deny that the Time Eater isn't inspired by Wizeman.
Everything about the Time Eater screams NiGHTS to me, it doesn't scream Sonic to me at all. Besides Eggman taking it over.

The entrance alone. xD i mean look at it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbXwYwy0sP0
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:12:31 pm by ShadiNeko »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #429 on: November 04, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »
two things

-Time eater was worse than all of the bosses you mentioned

-Colors's final boss was excellent. 

The most confusing thing about time eater was that it felt completely out of place in terms of quality.  In a game that is mostly well designed and full of lovingly crafted details, the lack of effort and planning that went into the final boss sticks out like a sore thumb.  No one should be surprised that the bosses to Unleashed and 06 are of dubious quality.

How is it possible to be worse than Metal Overlord? Haha they fell off a cliff on final bosses, sad considering the series had some of the finest final bosses at some point.

I'm not sure if excellent is the right word for Colour's final boss, good is close enough, it feels in the same range as Egg Dragoon from Unleashed. Certainly not saying it is bad, but not the top tier of final bosses like the ones in the classic Sonic games. And whilst it's true Colours had a good final boss (And a good first boss) it pretty much has very lacklustre bosses otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:30:52 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #430 on: November 04, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »
haha okay true enough that overlord is pretty terrible.  But i'd say time eater is about on par with it. 

And as for the Unleashed Egg dragon, I'll agree again that the Nega Wisp Armor is pretty much of the same quality.  The only thing that pushes Nega Wisp ahead is that Egg Dragoon relied on QTEs.

Now, about Colors's lackluster bosses.  It's true that most of them are pretty mediocre but none of them were as offensive as Time Eater and Egg Dragoon(generations). 

My thoughts on Egg Dragoon
"what confused me was the way sonic handled in 3d space. He was extremely hard to maneuver so making it to rings or the dash pads was extremely frustrating. My other big problem with this fight is the presentation. The way the Dragoon "teleports" to the free falling sequence feels extremely cheap and rushed, as does the final blow. If memory serves, there's nary an explosion or anything. The screen fades to white and suddenly the bot is in pieces. Come on sonic team!"

I already talked about Time Eater so I'll spare you.

Anyway the point is that I'd rather have 4-5 lackluster bosses(But for the record I thought they were pretty enjoyable.  The big problem was that there was actually only 3 bosses that got reused) and a great final boss than 3 good bosses(silver, death egg, metal sonic), 1 mediocre boss (chaos), a boss that makes no sense (shadow), and two terrible terrible bosses (one of which is the grand finale of the game.  It leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth for the credits.)

this was supposed to be a step up from Colors.  But it's actually a step back. 

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #431 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09:50 pm »
I am eating this game up like its nothing with only three more achievements to go. Rooftop Run Classic and Crisis City Classic has to be my favorite zones so far. I was humming the music all the way through out the stages like I did when I play the Genesis games when I was small. Modern stages were awesome as well. Love the new lyrics they added in for Escape from the City and Seaside Hill is amazingly beautiful. Last but not least, the Metal Sonic fight. OMG, dat music! If you guys want some tips on the Can't Touch Me achievement just let me know.

By the way, my CE shipped today so I'm gonna be the happiest black dude ever.  ;D

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #432 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:09 pm »
My CE shipped too! So I'll be the second happiest white dude ever.

This is the first happiest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5v2AYDZl6s

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #433 on: November 04, 2011, 11:09:50 pm »
Well I got the game today, turns out where I live they were doing the same special promotion as they were in Spain which ment I got the limited edition T-Shirt in European style Sonic 1 megadrive case for free (while stocks last) I wont be taking it out of its plastic!

Now onto the game, I'm going to straight up say my favouite level in the game is Rooftop Run, (modern and classic) I love everything about that stage, it's beautiful, it has the best set peice in the game, music is awesome and I love, LOVE the bit at the end of Classic Sonic where [spoiler]You have to that very sonic colours style puzzle with the lock face and then it shows a cutscene of the blimp crashing into it and then you hop on. Amazing! [/spoiler]

When it comes to level design, apart from the Sonic 06 level which I didn't much like I think Sonic Team have finally got the 3D sonic stages perfect. There is a LOT more Sonic Adventure style free roaming and exploring to be had than I expected and I really like jumping off the beaten path to ledges only to find rings and hidden lives... Love that shit!

As for controls:
Classic Sonic of course could be improved in future games, roll, physics blah blah you've heard it all before but it is far from BAD and very playable and fun.

Modern Sonic is PERFECT when he is going at full speed, they have finally really nailed it! I love the spin dash power slide and while they are returning moves I can't give enough prise to things like Stomp and Wall-Jump- totally fun to use.

I think when he slows down they need to improve the way he controls it is still a little bit finicky and hard to control, I would actually suggest having sonics whole move set change when he goes slowly to a more mario-ish move set because just slowing down the very twitch-based sonic doesn't work as well as it should.

Other things I really like:
being able to change music for levels- this is usually the thing that stops me playing fun games. Getting sick of the level music is the bane of my life. So glad for this option!

The room for collections like art, music and so on.

The return of Red Rings... I love them- I hope they keep them forever! In fact I want them to put MORE things to find in the levels, maybe something even harder to find. For example a single blue ring which is properly hidden away somewhere off the beaten path and takes some kind of crazy pizzle to find.

The side missions are hit and miss, the partner games are the poorest ones... Amys hammer jump was fun though! I mainly liked ones that challenged you to use existing moves like stomp and wall jump in fun puzzle like ways, finding hidden things or racing the doppleganger.

Overall I'm VERY happy with the game. Love it in fact. I'm kind of looking forward to games coming out which are dedicated to one style though. The next completely modern game and hopefully the next completely classic game.

8.9/10 - almost perfect.
Made by SEGA

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #434 on: November 05, 2011, 02:07:06 am »
I think my last achievement glitched on me. Maybe I got a little TOO HAPPY for it :'(

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site