Author Topic: SEGA's Digital Strategy in 2013?  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
SEGA's Digital Strategy in 2013?
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:34 am »
I think it's something to discuss since it's almost the end of 2012 already. (time sure flies)

So we got a Monster World Collection, a Streets of Rage Collection, a Golden Axe collection, as well as NiGHTs and Jet Set Radio as SEGA Heritage titles.

What's next?

Moving forward, I would like to see them try their hand at making a sequel to an old IP they still have the talent to do.

A Ristar sequel is a possibility after the many fans demand of Ristar in ASRT, as a download title the risk would be pretty low as they know their fanbase would eat up a Ristar 2 (Ristar Returns?). I'd like to see it happen myself and see how it sells.

Another digital IP I think that would work would be a Shinobi title. I know we have the 3DS game that I heard sold moderately well (but not spectacular), I think that SEGA put their cards on the wrong console here despite being an ambiguous effort, but I would say most of the Shinobi fans in particular are on the 360/PS3, they already have most of their games on the services already (bar Shinobi Legions/X, which should have the SEGA Heritage treatment as well).

I also like to think that if they made a new Fantasy Zone, the shmup genre on the XBLA/PSN would certainly benefit, since most shmups you see are either ports from previous games, or released on the disc (such as CAVE shooters).

Finally, there is one more IP they should add to the service as a SEGA Heritage collection.

Burning Rangers....seriously, the game is one of the gems in SEGA's chest that definitely needs another shot to the masses. If they can sort out the clipping issue in the game (there's little of it, I must admit, but a clean up may help it more), and add some achievements to it, it could sell very well being one of a few fantasy Fire Fighting games.

Since the Project Diva games sell well in Japan, why doesn't SEGA put one of them on PSN and see how that sells? Since they've made their money from the original game a few years ago, where's the risk of adding a few trophies to the game and seeing how the original one sells?

Lastly, I would say that Sonic Team should try their hand at a short, fun NON Sonic game on the service (since Dimps made the Sonic 4 series, Sonic Team haven't really done much in this space). It could be anything they want it to be, but I hope it isn't anything with Sonic in it, as I quite like their non-Sonic efforts. If they were to make Ristar 2, they should at least try something new alongside it.

What would you like to see from SEGA in the digital space? I would love to hear your opinions about it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:32:04 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Re: SEGA's Digital Strategy in 2013?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:25 am »
English HD versions of Sakura Wars 1-4 or at least the remake from PS2 along with their arcade titles from the mid 90s. Fighting Vipers can have my money.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:28:14 am »
Release the SEGA Ages titles to America. Either straight up PS2 versions to the PS3, or port them to all HD consoles. Make it a monthly thing, almost like a magazine. Each month a new game!

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:47 pm »
Release the SEGA Ages titles to America. Either straight up PS2 versions to the PS3, or port them to all HD consoles. Make it a monthly thing, almost like a magazine. Each month a new game!

Oh, I would love this. I've always wanted to play the SEGA AGES versions of Phantasy Star and Golden Axe.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:48:14 pm »
@Barry
Agreed, most of the classic Sega IPs are Japan exclusives. I've just bought Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade) from the Japanese PSN store and my God Sega Saturn mode is beautiful.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:00:29 am »
It would be nice to release the ones that haven't been released over here, but I am perfectly content with the SEGA Classics Collection not being released until at the end.

I would have said another Panzer Dragoon game would have been good on the service, but who could make it now? Most of the team disbanded...and the few that have remained created Valkyria Chronicles.

I think if all goes well with JSR and NiGHTs, then SEGA could afford to make a few sequels to established IPs.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:54:43 am »
It would be nice to release the ones that haven't been released over here, but I am perfectly content with the SEGA Classics Collection not being released until at the end.

I would have said another Panzer Dragoon game would have been good on the service, but who could make it now? Most of the team disbanded...and the few that have remained created Valkyria Chronicles.

I think if all goes well with JSR and NiGHTs, then SEGA could afford to make a few sequels to established IPs.
Like the well received sequel to Nights? Or Project Altered Beast? Or even Golden Axe Beast Rider? Sometimes you have to just give up the ghost and let them be.Because the games you want to see of an "classic IP" may not be the game you want to see and play.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:59:12 am »
Very true. I get the need for sequels, but sometimes things are better as standalone entertainment. And that doesn't just mean video games. Look at The Matrix and the first Pirates of the Caribbean. THe originals were great, the sequels were not needed. Frankly, a new Jet Set Radio would scare me, because who knows who would be behind it. Unless they get the original devs, I'm not for it.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:47 pm »
Like the well received sequel to Nights? Or Project Altered Beast? Or even Golden Axe Beast Rider? Sometimes you have to just give up the ghost and let them be.Because the games you want to see of an "classic IP" may not be the game you want to see and play.

Wasn't that when SEGA were pretty much in a bad patch?

They've improved since then, and can probably do something innovate with them...after all, you need to build your IPs recognition to make money, you know?

Offline ROJM

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 06:16:59 am »
Wasn't that when SEGA were pretty much in a bad patch?

They've improved since then, and can probably do something innovate with them...after all, you need to build your IPs recognition to make money, you know?
You dont need sequels to build your IP recognition you know. What builds your IP recognition is telling the world that these games exist, which is what Sega(who use to be really good at those type of things) have failed miserably and many sega enthusiasts had to watch idly by seeing great titles like BINARY DOMAIN, Vanquish, Rhythm Thief go by the wayside. You dont tell anybody properly about a great game nobody will buy them, so it will make no difference if its a sequel or not.

Also, Sega was in a solid position when those sequels came out. They were buying companies left right and centre. And the sequels still came out crap. It really has nothing to do with what position the company is in the games in Sega's case have suffered through a variety of reasons, a long time gap (like a decade) between the first and last game, members involved in the original game no longer being in the company or the original team being long defunct, etc etc etc. And Sega has always been a forward looking company not a backward looking company which is why they usually strive to create new titles rather than sequels of considered classics most of the time. 

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 05:57:44 pm »
You dont need sequels to build your IP recognition you know. What builds your IP recognition is telling the world that these games exist, which is what Sega(who use to be really good at those type of things) have failed miserably and many sega enthusiasts had to watch idly by seeing great titles like BINARY DOMAIN, Vanquish, Rhythm Thief go by the wayside. You dont tell anybody properly about a great game nobody will buy them, so it will make no difference if its a sequel or not.

Also, Sega was in a solid position when those sequels came out. They were buying companies left right and centre. And the sequels still came out crap. It really has nothing to do with what position the company is in the games in Sega's case have suffered through a variety of reasons, a long time gap (like a decade) between the first and last game, members involved in the original game no longer being in the company or the original team being long defunct, etc etc etc. And Sega has always been a forward looking company not a backward looking company which is why they usually strive to create new titles rather than sequels of considered classics most of the time.

Clearly not, as evidenced by how not to do it by SEGA and how you should do it by Nintendo.

That was because SEGA had a very good American President who knew how to sell their products...as soon as SOJ got jealous, he left and they stumbled ever since.

I don't see sense in buying a company when you just came out of the console business and restructuring like crazy, this may have been why the sequels were awful...because the money wasn't being used on those resources?

It clearly was in SEGA's case...I am not a businessman but even I know when you need to focus your efforts in making the damn sequels good and not buying other companies up, just to close them down or sell them on.

I don't believe that different personnel made the games worse at all....if that was the case, then why do the fans clamour for sequels of long defunct games still? It's silly logic to ask for a game if the personnel no longer exists...plus the sequels were worked on by different development teams who have virtually no experience on the game they were involved in (Next Level for Golden Axe, Sonic Team USA for Nights).

We already know why we love SEGA, but you can't deny they are backward thinking when it comes to other people making better suggestions of where they SHOULD focus their efforts in (stubborn Japanese businessmen know nothing about western tastes as been evidenced by SEGA's financial downfall).

But yeah, SEGA weren't in a great position to make games after the Dreamcast Era and should have been more reserved in their games (promoting Billy Hatcher as the next great platformer, polishing semi-frequent Sonic games). Like you said, most of SEGA's key members left...that doesn't mean they should make sequels to their games if they felt like their new blood weren't ready yet.

Look at Sonic Colours, that Sonic game was finally done right after the Adventure Series...and I put that down to the team's inexperience with Sonic. Sometimes...you really do need to nurture your teams with smaller projects before trusting them with bigger ones...especially in SEGA's case where they can't risk losing money any more.

Although I am not much of a Nintendo fan, Miyamoto is training each team up to make a solid Mario game once he retires. Sonic Team were just pushed into the deep end and made SEGA lose even more money. Their games didn't have to be perfect, but if they were to put them on Sonic games, I would have put them on the handheld sector, since that was where the money was going on the DS.

You can't tell me that their marketing is poor when they were presumably poor either. They can only do so much in terms of advertisements...and if they don't live up the expectation...well...you need to get your staff members to do it for you, which is why SOA exists still.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 11:49:06 am »
Clearly not, as evidenced by how not to do it by SEGA and how you should do it by Nintendo.

That was because SEGA had a very good American President who knew how to sell their products...as soon as SOJ got jealous, he left and they stumbled ever since.

I don't see sense in buying a company when you just came out of the console business and restructuring like crazy, this may have been why the sequels were awful...because the money wasn't being used on those resources?

It clearly was in SEGA's case...I am not a businessman but even I know when you need to focus your efforts in making the damn sequels good and not buying other companies up, just to close them down or sell them on.

I don't believe that different personnel made the games worse at all....if that was the case, then why do the fans clamour for sequels of long defunct games still? It's silly logic to ask for a game if the personnel no longer exists...plus the sequels were worked on by different development teams who have virtually no experience on the game they were involved in (Next Level for Golden Axe, Sonic Team USA for Nights).

We already know why we love SEGA, but you can't deny they are backward thinking when it comes to other people making better suggestions of where they SHOULD focus their efforts in (stubborn Japanese businessmen know nothing about western tastes as been evidenced by SEGA's financial downfall).

But yeah, SEGA weren't in a great position to make games after the Dreamcast Era and should have been more reserved in their games (promoting Billy Hatcher as the next great platformer, polishing semi-frequent Sonic games). Like you said, most of SEGA's key members left...that doesn't mean they should make sequels to their games if they felt like their new blood weren't ready yet.

Look at Sonic Colours, that Sonic game was finally done right after the Adventure Series...and I put that down to the team's inexperience with Sonic. Sometimes...you really do need to nurture your teams with smaller projects before trusting them with bigger ones...especially in SEGA's case where they can't risk losing money any more.

Although I am not much of a Nintendo fan, Miyamoto is training each team up to make a solid Mario game once he retires. Sonic Team were just pushed into the deep end and made SEGA lose even more money. Their games didn't have to be perfect, but if they were to put them on Sonic games, I would have put them on the handheld sector, since that was where the money was going on the DS.

You can't tell me that their marketing is poor when they were presumably poor either. They can only do so much in terms of advertisements...and if they don't live up the expectation...well...you need to get your staff members to do it for you, which is why SOA exists still.

You cleary dont get it. SOA doesn't exist anymore they unified with Sega Europe to become Sega west and worse Its Japanese controlled and furthermore its just a digital distrbution company now. The days of Kalinske and his ilk are sadly gone. Also that guy could make shit sound like gold and people would still buy it,(remember ETERNAL CHAMPIONS?) he didn't need the game to be a sequel for it to suceed as that era of Sega proved time and again, many games from both sides of the pacific that their reputation was built on great games like VIRTUA FIGHTER, VIRTUA RACING SONIC STREETS OF RAGE of the nineties or OUTRUN,AFTERBURNER WONDERBOY PHANTASY STAR during the eighties and so on, games that were at their time totally new. Not on soley relying on sequels. It was built on solid original titles that showcased something unique in style game innovation and technology. And more importantly people knew about these games because Sega had the exposure to do it. It makes no difference on creating sequels or not, its not how people would recognise your brand or IP, if the game is great then they will know about it. That's the real reason why people keep asking for sequels to certain sega titles because they not only knew that the originals existed thanks to great marketing but they were great games to begin with which is why they stuck with sega and which is why the sega brand and their collective ips got a positive feedback.

As for Sonic Team, if you know about the history of that team, what you are suggesting actually did happen. The latter titles were mostly made without the main Sonic Team members involved except on an excecutive level(before naka left) The american side of Sega were helping to create Sonic Teams in Sonic's first three outings which evolved into their own team called Sonic Team USA. Secondly Naka wanted Sonic Team to create more than just Sonic games and his failure of not acheiving this goal has been a constant frustration and regret for him especially when the non Sonic games created were very good games. Sonic Team should have really been the console equivalent of AM2 where they were know as being a team building great games and franchises, not just known for one particular series.

And their marketing has been poor. Again you dont understand. This problem with sega's marketing has been going on for a long while now and not just in the last couple of years. Sega is one of the big companies in this industry. They have a far reaching distrubution network across the world and until recently several offices. Its not that they cant afford advertising its because they advertise on things that really dont need much exposure,or spend it on the wrong things. A company the size of Sega advertising is very minimal in the budget especially when they only need to advertise the key titles that they rely on in making a good dent of money. Everyone here has seen Sega launch a very strong and in some cases unique line up starting with this curent gen and time and again their marketing has been absent or below par. Only Sonic or a few other games like FOOTBALL MANAGER and TOTAL WAR seem immune to this. MADWORLD's advertising is a very clear example of doing it wrong at least in the UK. The difference now is that its finally hit them where it hurts. Believe you me if Sega made a good marketing campaign over the last titles their consumer division would not be in the shape its in.

Sega isn't nintendo despite the fact that they both have a mascot. It something some of you sonic fans need to realise. They approch things totally differently. Nintendo has and always have been more conservative compared to Sega where they have been more experiemental.

The current Sega regime headed by Hajime Satomi made a lot of fundemental mistakes,
The first mistake was getting rid of Visual Concepts 2k Sports. This was down to the fact that the NFL license was locked in a exclusive deal with EA. But by getting rid of the other titles and VC themselves
only saw the 2k sports line have a continued present in the american game charts while Sega didn't have a presence in these charts bar Sonic until 2007. If Sega had kept VC they would at least have had a presence within the american charts until they got their other titles and the western focus into play. And now he seems to be leading sega into a digital hell which wont even focus on any of the next gen systems. That's why i think sega is in real trouble now. Because if this doesn't work like his other endevours we could be talking about the end of the consumer division or Sega itself for good. And too think i thought this guy had the right mindset for Sega. :'(

He also tried to grab new markets way before they being sega totally understood those markets. The china expedition was a very big disaster for sega and helped put back SHENMUE for another ten years if not the reason Suzuki ended up leaving. The western expedition with sega buying certain companies did work in the UK. It just didn't work in the states because the money wasn't invested in the companies could have brought down there. Add to the fact that Satomi's sammy money tried to strenghen the gameworks buisness which they also ended up being sold off. Goodness knows what has happened with their movie studio.