Author Topic: Incredibly popular video game franchises that you have never played  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Just curious to hear what incredibly popular video game franchises people here have never played.

I think simply not owning a PS3/PS4 has lead to me never playing a ton, but even when owning a 360 and Wii U there are still franchises I have never played. Part of it is a time issue. I have more than enough games as is, and even then I don't have time to play them all. So why would I invest in even more games that I don't have the time to play?

Off the top of my head: Call of Duty, Infamous, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto, World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Bioshock

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Incredibly popular video game franchises that you have never played
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:42:43 am »
There was quite a few I hadn't tried, but when I finally got round to some of them, I just felt they were nothing special. Not bad by any means, but nothing I felt I had really missed on.

Fallout, Elder Scrolls and The uncharted series spring to mind in that category.

As for ones I still haven't played:

Tomb Raider reboot
The Witcher series
The Last of Us
Red Dead Redemption
Final Fantasy post 11 - I tried 11 (PS2) and it was so bad, I never wanted to touch the series again XD
Rachet & Clank - I actually think I'd like this too which is a shame.

Barry, out of all those you haven't played, I'd say Bioshock is one to play. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are okay, but I find them fun for about 5 minutes and then forgettable. Although, I don't care for huge open worlds that feel empty. I preferred smaller worlds like Shenmue, Yakuza, Dreamfall that do more instead with less. Call of duty is past its peak, uncharted is just an indy film in game form, while infamous is a typical comic book hero game.

Bioshock will feel dated now as it came out at the start of the 360/ps3 gen, but the story, world and amosphere is simply incredible.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:39:35 pm »
Never played Bayonetta...or any Platinum game for that matter aside from Metal Gear Rising. On that note, I've never played a main series Metal Gear title, though MGS 3 does interest me somewhat but unless a miracle happens and that HD version is ported to PC, I'm not playing it anytime soon. At least the PS2 Subsistence game looks mildly cheap. No interest in any of the games beyond that one though.

Never played FF 6 either, just never felt the need to. Or Chrono Trigger for that matter. Y'know games people swear up and down are the greatest of all time, I've never touched.

Tad - Ratchet and Clank is really cool, but if you only play one, play Going Commando. I haven't played any of the PS3 games, and of the original quadrilogy on the PS2 (Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank, I don't count bc they're not Insomniac), I thought that was the best. I believe all of the quadrilogy is on PS3 now, so if that's an option go for that (though Deadlocked is a separate download-only for some reason.)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:47:11 pm »
Aside from renting Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and owning the original Metal Gear for NES, I have very little experience with the franchise.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:32:55 pm »
There is so many popular game franchises I haven't played. Years ago it was because of other reasons, and now its because of reasons similar to Barry.. lack of time. I still need to finish Yakuza 5 let alone start another big game.

Regarding Ratchet and Clank, it's a really cool franchise, not everyone is going to like it of course, but I think everyone needs to at least give it a try. Ratchet Collection on PSN/PS3 is a good deal, the first ratchet game definitely is dated in control mechanics, but it's still great fun. Then when you move onto 2 it feels amazing compared to the first Ratchet game.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »
Yeah, the first R&C is the black sheep of the whole franchise. It's clunky, the weapon switching doesn't pause the game, the tone is a lot more cynical, and the dynamic between the duo is very different. The second is a huge improvement in nearly every way.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:44:56 am »
Devil May Cry mostly, Jak & Daxter, mainline God of War series, Fatal Frame or Siren, Alundra and Resistance.

Played at least most franchises with one installment, even demos.

Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline MercenaryOne

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 12:57:54 pm »
Minecraft, Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid, Witcher, Infamous, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, The Last of Us, Fallout, Bioshock, Devil May Cry, Read Dead Redemption, Shenmue, Yakuza, Tom Clancy, Counterstrike, Borderlands, Team Fortress, Rocket League, Naruto, every Star Trek Game, and every Star Wars game, never played a single one, DayZ, Just Cause, Far Cry, Tales of series, Dark Souls, Flight Simulator, Assassins Creed, Company of Heroes, Y's series, Dragon Warrior, Dragonball, Lord of The Rings, Lego video games, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Batman, Half Life, and honestly the list goes on and on, so I will spare you from 2000 pages of game franchise listing.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 08:25:48 pm »
Dark Souls, Assassins Creed, Dragon Quest, League of Legends, Jak & Daxter, any Final Fantasy that isn't VII or X (and only a few hours each of those).