Author Topic: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?  (Read 81870 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2015, 02:53:46 am »
Glad you like Splatoon. Glad you feel that its more of a SEGA game than games made by SEGA developers like Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles. That's quite a weird opinion to have. I have my own opinion that may differ from yours. I don't think the game is bad, just lacks content for it to be a 60 dollar title.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2015, 05:27:25 am »
You guys are going to chew my head off for this but after playing Splatoon for about an hour I can safely say this game feels more like a Sega game than anything Sega has released in the past decade.

If you released this on the dreamcast alongside chu chu rocket and samba de amigo during the early 2000's, no one would have blinked twice. 
I agree. The game is hitting all the right notes for me. I have this weird funny feeling while playing. What surprised me the most is how the single player is legit, when theyve focussed so much on promoting the online
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:03:40 am by CrazyT »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2015, 09:44:57 am »
The game was expected to sell well, they've been marketing it well but I don't think they expected it to get to 200,000 units so quickly.

Thought the game would do between 200k - 250k in Japan personally, though looking at sales now, 350k - 400k seems doable. Not sure how much further from that.
The marketing push is surprising because nintendo has always been very safe and picky with that. They seem strangely confident about splatoon while I thought it may have been unmarkatble. I think Nintendo wants everyone to "see" it expecting it to have some sort of mass appeal. Its quite interesing to see the positive noise so far from japan. Now to see how long the demand will last...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:21:22 am by CrazyT »

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2015, 02:19:28 pm »
I'd say it sorta feels like a SEGA game if all you think about when it comes to SEGA is Jet Set Radio, and even then that's a bit of a stretch.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2015, 03:08:15 pm »
I'd say it sorta feels like a SEGA game if all you think about when it comes to SEGA is Jet Set Radio, and even then that's a bit of a stretch.

I agree, there is no link between something like Shenmue or Jet Set Radio; Panzer Dragoon, Super Monkey Ball, House of the Dead or Daytona... They share almost nothing in common apart from all being developed by SEGA and all being great games.

I think when people say 'this feels like a SEGA game,' what they really mean is; it is invoking a feeling I had once while playing a SEGA game. Which is nice for you, I suppose, but it means nothing to anybody else. What I feel is a SEGA game probably has nothing to do with what you feel is a SEGA game. Considering I have had that feeling with a number of games in the past few years, most of which have been nothing like Splatoon (or Jet Set Radio) but often RPG or action games. I'm going to bet my idea is different to Radrappys'.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2015, 03:30:49 pm »
It feels like a SEGA game = Fantastic new experience from a Japanese development team. Nintendo fans don't know what to do with themselves, first new IP that isn't shitty in like 10 years.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2015, 03:40:23 pm »
It feels like a SEGA game = Fantastic new experience from a Japanese development team. Nintendo fans don't know what to do with themselves, first new IP that isn't shitty in like 10 years.
You calling Pushmo shitty?

Offline George

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2015, 03:51:29 pm »
You calling Pushmo shitty?
I was mainly talking about console games. I liked what I played of Project STEAM, like the gameplay mechanics, not so much into the art and music. I feel like I would play a handheld Valkyria Chronicles with that sort of gameplay, than like this artistically ugly game with inferior music.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2015, 04:26:59 pm »
I agree, there is no link between something like Shenmue or Jet Set Radio; Panzer Dragoon, Super Monkey Ball, House of the Dead or Daytona... They share almost nothing in common apart from all being developed by SEGA and all being great games.

I think when people say 'this feels like a SEGA game,' what they really mean is; it is invoking a feeling I had once while playing a SEGA game. Which is nice for you, I suppose, but it means nothing to anybody else. What I feel is a SEGA game probably has nothing to do with what you feel is a SEGA game. Considering I have had that feeling with a number of games in the past few years, most of which have been nothing like Splatoon (or Jet Set Radio) but often RPG or action games. I'm going to bet my idea is different to Radrappys'.

.I actually do think there's a strong shared DNA among many titles. Perhaps a more accurate way to describe it is, it feels like its made by staff working at SEGA (at least from back in the days). I think there was never an established style by SEGA themselves. More like SEGA staff sharing certain things. Its weird but for example SEGA music has always been a recognizable thing for me. Always fun upbeat, strong bass with extremely unique melodies. I know SEGA is a lot of things so different for a lot of people. But especially these parts about SEGA is what ive always liked so much.

Btw good game Timmit ;p
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:47:53 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2015, 05:18:57 pm »

If you don't think these:

have a significant amount in common with this:

You need to get your eyes checked.  Sega has always had a side of them that was extremely hip, stylish, colorful, and almost graffiti based.  Combine that with having a character based franchise that is driven by a single gameplay concept and you have something that would have been perfectly at home with Sega's early 2000's library.  Is there more to Sega?  Sure.  Is/was this a big part of their image at some point that was specifically unique to them?  Absolutely. 

PS what was it with Sega and headgear?

Offline George

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2015, 05:34:34 pm »
Look =/= Feel.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »
Look =/= Feel.

The look isn't even the same in that image, just that they're a bunch of colourful characters. If that is what amounts to SEGA style than Capcom and Konami of the previous generations are in the same boat.

Besides Monkey Ball and Jet Set Radio really stands out there, whilst Puyo Puyo, the Sonic the Hedgehog series, Billy Hatcher and Samba de Amigo all shared the same developer and three of those shared the same lead artist.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2015, 06:14:14 pm »
I'll never think of SEGA when I see Splatoon, especially not after seeing all the Miiverse posts thanks to @badmiiverseposts.

That Nintendo magic dude!

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2015, 06:17:04 pm »
I'll never think of SEGA when I see Splatoon, especially not after seeing all the Miiverse posts thanks to @badmiiverseposts.

That Nintendo magic dude!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2015, 06:19:36 pm »

So Nintendo says no voice chat because it will allow bad things to happen yet they are allowing comments like this? lol

https://twitter.com/BadMiiversePost/status/604737712332152833/photo/1
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:21:22 pm by Happy Cat »