Author Topic: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?  (Read 81863 times)

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2015, 06:22:46 pm »
Look =/= Feel.

It's not just the look.  Remember when Sega games were driven by a single gameplay concept?  That's Splatoon to a tee.  It totally feels like the smaller, more creative games that were the highlight of the DC's library.  Disagree?  That's totally fine. 

I even forgot space channel 5 in my image. 

The look isn't even the same in that image, just that they're a bunch of colourful characters.

Sure it is.  Headphones, street culture, graffiti inspired visuals and attitude are prevelent in a number of these franchises. Not to mention the wacky design sensibilities of chu chu rocket and samba de amigo are in line with Splatoon's edgy pop art style in a way that nintendo games usually don't touch.

The music even sounds just like Naganuma's work; a flavor that used to be associated with some Sega games. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:34:22 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2015, 06:24:11 pm »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2015, 06:25:35 pm »

So Nintendo says no voice chat because it will allow bad things to happen yet they are allowing comments like this? lol

https://twitter.com/BadMiiversePost/status/604737712332152833/photo/1

Im dying
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:29:27 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »
Sure it is.  Headphones, street culture, graffiti inspired visuals and attitude are prevelent in a number of these franchises. Not to mention the wacky design sensibilities of chu chu rocket and samba de amigo are in line with Splatoon's edgy pop art style in a way that nintendo games usually don't touch.

There is nothing street culture about Splatoon. Nor is there anything of that with Sonic the Hedgehog, Billy Hatcher, Chu Chu Rocket or Samba de Amigo and Super Monkey Ball. Attitude is really only shared by Sonic the Hedgehog and Jet Set Radio... Which isn't even a big thing in the latter series.

Headphones? Really? Besides Vector the Crocodile, I don't see how this is some common link when again, the majority of these series don't share that. Is Yakuza and Jet Set Radio of the same style just because its about a group of criminals or Combo and Kiryu wear the same colour clothing? Sure love the game for it's colourful art style, but they really are not as similar as you make it out to be.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2015, 06:44:29 pm »
Does splatoon have the popo(police) and expression of teenage angst? Nope, didn't think so! Would a SEGA game have such bad servers? Nope! See what i did there?

It's fine if Splatoon reminds you of SEGA, you are free to your opinion, just stop trying to act like it's fact. SEGA is a lot of different things to a lot of different people, like Sharky mentioned.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2015, 06:58:01 pm »
Is this guy in splatoon?

NOPE!

OKay I'll shutup now haha. just having a bit of fun.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2015, 06:59:29 pm »
I can see the comparison with Jet Set Radio considering they both have 'paint', but I can make more of a comparison to De Blob.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2015, 07:04:28 pm »
Its filling a void for me at leat so im glad the game exists whether it'd be by SEGA or Nintendo. Used to count on SEGA for doin that but dont really care much where it comes from anymore.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:06:12 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2015, 07:07:42 pm »
Its filling a void for me at leat so im glad the game exists whether it'd be by SEGA or Nintendo. Used to count on SEGA for doin that but dont really care much where it comes from anymore.

I think the game is fun from what i played of it. There is no way I'm paying 60 dollars for it though, it's lacking a ton of content and is having a ton of connection issues. Which I don't ever see getting fixed, judging by how my Mario Kart 8 experience usually tends to go.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2015, 07:10:26 pm »
There is nothing street culture about Splatoon.

You're kidding right?

Also don't make me collect every sonic image that has him rocking out with headphones, grinding shoes, a skateboard, or a turn table. 

Anyway, I think we've brought this debate as far as it will go.  It feels very much like a Sega game to me.  Yakuza, binary domain, and Shenmue are their own brand of Sega.  The company has a few styles but pop art is definitely one of them.  Or was.  Sob

Offline George

« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2015, 07:15:14 pm »
Do you know what street culture is Radrappy? Because you obviously think squids that paint the floor and travel through it = street culture which it isn't. In the late 90's it was skating/rollerblading. What street culture does Splatoon cover? Please let us know.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2015, 07:18:37 pm »
You're kidding right?

Also don't make me collect every sonic image that has him rocking out with headphones, grinding shoes, a skateboard, or a turn table. 

Anyway, I think we've brought this debate as far as it will go.  It feels very much like a Sega game to me.  Yakuza, binary domain, and Shenmue are their own brand of Sega.  The company has a few styles but pop art is definitely one of them.  Or was.  Sob

I'm not kidding.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=street+culture&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qFFqVbfKMqev7AajtIKwDg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=631 < Street culture, Splatoon is not street culture. Going round painting people/land with your paint guns is not street culture.

Sonic is not street culture, he has attitude, he puts on headphones but it is not a core facet of his personality. Just like how him rocking a guitar is not a core attribute either and does not mean the series shares something with Guitar Hero.

Offline George

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2015, 07:23:37 pm »
^Scroll down, 6 titties! Someone call Pirovash88, he'll get out of bed for that.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:49 pm »
I can kind of see the 'Street culture' thing in Splatoon in the clothes they wear and the urban environment and the painting.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:57 pm »
I think the game is fun from what i played of it. There is no way I'm paying 60 dollars for it though, it's lacking a ton of content and is having a ton of connection issues. Which I don't ever see getting fixed, judging by how my Mario Kart 8 experience usually tends to go.
Its cheaper here in europe so I feel ya man. This is a strange one. They already said the game was gonna get free updates every other week including new maps etc. But I wonder why they're holding back the maps. If its to keep players coming back than thats really dumb. Well at least its free