Author Topic: Nintendo's E3 Media Briefing 2012  (Read 9158 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Nintendo's E3 Media Briefing 2012
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:49:17 am »
Sunday's pre-E3 video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkPdAWfFjI[/youtube]

---

WII U WII U WII U WII U~!

Did you hear? Wii U is the big thing this year! Oh yes, and 3DS. I hope they talk about 3DS too.

On June 5th at 9am PDT Nintendo will have their big show. But I figured I'd make this topic early since they already had that little pre show yesterday which can be seen here: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo_direct

So until tomorrow's show, speculate and discuss yesterday's video. Or in Shadi's case, hate hate hate. :P

---

Me? I like Nintendo, I really do. But the Wii U just hasn't impressed me. Part of the reason is that it feels like Wii 2.0. And while I like the Wii, the novelty has worn off. The addition of a tablet video controller is interesting, but is far from knocking my socks off like the Wii did in 2006 or the Kinect did in 2010. I recall seeing both of those pieces of tech and thinking "holy shit, that's awesome!" and as time passed, I still enjoy both pieces of tech but am no longer amazed by them.

I guess that's what I was hoping would happen with Wii U, but instead its more of the same with small improvements. In the end, it all comes down to GAMES and thus far we've seen very little. I guess that's where Nintendo will have to prove themselves. I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo's constant sequels, so another Smash Bros and Pikmin does little for me. But I'd love to see a new fully 3D Mario game that isn't Galaxy 3. Or (GASP!) a new IP from Nintendo.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:18:01 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Nintendo's E3 Media Briefing 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:21:38 am »
I missed the pre-pre-E3 thing they had yesterday. I guess there was a lot of focus on the online, and social features of the Wii U. Some of them seem pretty interesting.
Built in live message boards for game assistance and such. They also have a standard controller for the thing that looks kind of like a nega-dual shock (buttons and analog sticks are switched around), and shaped kind of like a 360 controller.
They also detailed the changes they've made to the tablet controller since last year (better analog sticks, altered button placement, etc...).

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:40:38 am »
I liked what I saw yesterday, but I have no idea what it'll take to revert me into a rabid fanboy. The main advantage to keeping the Wii's controllers is that developers aren't guessing anymore how to use it, so the launch titles this time around should have much better quality motion controls (thanks to Wii Motion  Plus).

Sadly, an HD upgrade of Wii Sports with online play/leaderboards could be enough to tip my hat to their side, and further burden my credit card debt.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:28:12 pm »
I'm really hoping for that new 3DS model to be announced.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 01:34:37 pm »
Yesterdays pre-show made it sound like 3DS would not be a highlight at the show. THey almost said it like it wouldn't feature at all.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:17:38 pm »
You could see it the other way around.
They spent most of their time showcasing the Wii U beforehand, so they'd have more time to dedicate to the 3DS at the conference.

Edit: Looks like Nintendo is going to have a 3rd press conference devoted specifically to the 3DS. It's going to run from 6pm to 7pm Pacific Time on Wednesday night.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:21:49 pm by SOUP »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 05:40:28 pm »
I'm going to second my request to unify all the E3 threads into one.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:19 pm »
I'll third that. It'd be nice to be able to talk about all the third party stuff without adding another thread on top.

An open world racing game from Criterion is fantastic news for me :).

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:05:02 pm »
I'll third that. It'd be nice to be able to talk about all the third party stuff without adding another thread on top.

An open world racing game from Criterion is fantastic news for me :).
Is this the new NFS? I'm really keen for that, Hot Pursuit was great fun but I skipped The Run.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:17:52 pm »
Yup. It's Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
Just like Hot Pursuit, it's being developed by the folks behind the Burnout series.

Burnout Paradise was one of my favourite games of this generation without a doubt. From the sounds of things, this one looks like that, but with Police driving around.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:20:16 am »
You can't second something that you yourself said.

Anyway, not unifying them. So quit complaining. I don't want to read about Sony stuff in a MS topic, or SmartGlass in a Nintendo topic. Three threads aren't going to kill you. End o' discusso.

--

Nintendo starts in less than 2 hours. Wii is excited, are U excited?

http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/

Offline segaismysavior

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:03:21 am »
or SmartGlass in a Nintendo topic.

So how about that SmartGlass?  :D

Offline SOUP

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »
Well that was a bit of a letdown.
The whole thing started off strong with Pikmin 3 and a new Super Mario Bros. title, but kind of went down from there.
They said they've got 23 Wii U games, but this is all I've noticed so far:

1. Pikmin 3
2. New Super Mario Bros. U
3. Mass Effect 3
4. Darksiders II
5. Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
6. ScribbleNauts: Unlimited
7. Wii Fit U
8. Rayman Legends
9. SiNG
10. Lego City
11. ZombiU
12. Assassin's Creed III
13. Avengers: Battle for Earth
14. Just Dance 4
15. Rabbids Land
16. NintendoLand
17. Project P-100
18. Aliens: Colonial Marines
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:05:40 pm by SOUP »

Offline segaismysavior

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »
I had to switch from 3 different sources (Nintendo, IGN, g4tv) just to watch parts of it, damn feed kept dying.  >:(

The main games that I care about are Pikmin 3, Lego City, ZombiU, and NintendoLand. Darksiders and Arkham could be good too, but it's not like I have to wait for the system to play them.

Mass Effect 3 though? Why bother? They should've announced the whole trilogy with new features, that would've made sense. Anyone who wants to play ME3 already did.

"Sing" will do well for a while to sell the system to casuals, or anyone who digs karaoke (a ton of people I know).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:53:58 pm »
That was really, really bad.

Now I know some defend it and say "oh, but Pikmin 3 looks fun", but this was a NEXT GEN CONSOLE LAUNCH. They have the IPs worthy of epic reveals. Remember the 3DS launch? So many big reveals. But Wii U? A ton of multi-plat titles, a lot of older titles ported over and a small number of exclusives.

Really, 3DS was the best bit, as all three titles looked like really fun Mario games.