Author Topic: Yo, what if Nintendo bought SEGA?  (Read 41704 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Yo, what if Nintendo bought SEGA?
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2012, 12:10:45 pm »
Does anyone think Platinum's games have more of a Capcom or SEGA feel to them or do Capcom and SEGA's styles blend in fairly well? Metal Gear Rising seems to feel like something Platinum would do despite things like the story and characters and the original ideas before Platinum's arrival being from Konami/Kojima Productions.

Vanquish feels vaguely like a Sega game. The rest, nah.

Overall I think the Arcade Division has kept the Sega feel better than Consumer Division tbh.

Many are gonna laugh at me, but to me this totally feels Sega:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7N2aUvzwpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQM1rQc-60A

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2012, 02:32:46 pm »
Vanquish feels vaguely like a Sega game. The rest, nah.

Overall I think the Arcade Division has kept the Sega feel better than Consumer Division tbh.

Many are gonna laugh at me, but to me this totally feels Sega:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7N2aUvzwpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQM1rQc-60A
No wonder it looks familiar, it's Sega Race TV.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »
To be honest, I was drawn to the game because it reminded me of Snatcher (a Konami game! O_0). As for "the gameplay can be found in basically every other 3rd person shooter ever made in the post 2005"... I don't get that. I played the game for the complete package (the story, the teamwork mechanic, the gameplay, the boss fights) and I ended up loving the game for the boss fights, the teamwork mechanic, the story (love a good robot story) and some gameplay elements that do NOT exist in most other TPS games: the strategy of shooting robots in very specific areas to take them down or to make them turn against their own, the boss fights (as mentioned) and selecting the ideal team (with the ideal trust levels) to complete a mission. I also loved that it was very much a one player game.

Its not as simple as saying one could simply play another TPS, what made Binary Domain so special was the setting, the mix of characters, the unique gameplay elements that I noted and the story (like I said, it reminded me of Snatcher and I freakin' love Snatcher).

We're wayyy off-topic here now but that's my fault. I can sort of see where you're coming from. It hasn't entirely changed my opinion though, lol; I still feel that Segabits and other Sega fansites are really the only places where you can find people who thought Binary Domain was an A+ effort, and I think there's a reason for that that goes beyond the game itself.

Anyway, just to comment on this, lol. I did like Binary Domain's gameplay, which I thought was more fun than Mass Effect 3's by a longshot, and several of the bosses. What bummed me out about the game was some of the reasons you liked it; the teamwork mechanic felt useless to me, as the dialogue trees, which were not situation-specific  and oftentimes did not fit the situation, were too easy to "mess up," and your AI teammates would run right into your line of fire, resulting in them "losing respect" for you quite often. I enjoyed the game much more when I stopped worrying about the team dynamic entirely and I wasn't punished for it, as the game almost never requires you to "give them orders" anyway. And I can't help but feel that when a game's main feature can be so easily brushed aside, it's a major issue. 

I wished the story was crazier, more "Japanese" I guess...Japan's done some batshit crazy stuff with robots over the years, lol, and Binary Domain's story played it so safe, basically content to be a Michael Bay/Hollywood movie (shit being blown up and the characters running around and pulling off one-liners) and never really going beneath the surface or anywhere cooler. The gameplay took little risks and brought little new to the table, except the team thing, which, like I said, felt like it was very tepidly added. The love story I thought came off as cheesy, mainly because the game expected you to care about characters you barely got to know, and the character designs were beyond generic. I liked the game, but would have liked it better had it embraced its Japanese origins instead of trying so hard to be Western, and had the innovations it brought to the table not been added so hesitantly, but the game almost felt afraid to try anything new because it was trying so hard to be accepted by the Gears of War crowd; the exact opposite of Vanquish, in other words, whose new ideas became a central force in its gameplay instead of something that felt like an afterthought. 

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:39:51 pm by -nSega54- »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »
I'm about 3/4s of the way through Binary Domain and am playing it when I get home from work these days so I feel the need to chime in.  I will say that right now my impressions of the game are that it's solid but absolutely nothing special.  Issuing commands through the mic is almost completely broken.  I can only get one phrase to register 100% of the time (roger that) and the game has registered my answer as a "no" when I basically shouted "yes" into the mic during a team building conversation.  As n-sega has mentioned, the fact that one of the game's only unique core mechanics doesn't even work isn't a good sign.  I find myself comparing the game to Vanquish a lot.  Both are single player linear mission driven robot fighting TPS cover shooters made by Japanese developers with the intent of appealing to a western audience.  Vanquish however is dripping with style and has a fun unique mechanic (sliding) which allows for TPS gameplay unlike anything previously seen.  BD on the other hand is at its best competent gameplay wise and brings nothing new to the table.  There's barely any teamwork involved so I don't really feel motivated to boost my trust ratings.  If there was some kind of tactical input on my part ala Valkyria Chronicles, this would be a much different story.  Speaking of which, the story is adequate thus far and the threat of the hollow children is an intriguing one.  However the love story is embarrassing and the main character is absolutely despicable.  He's essentially a less charismatic Nathan Drake. 

When it comes down to it, it's a competent game but possesses zero qualities that would make any non-sega fan rush out and buy it.  And hell, even I, as a pretty die hard sega fan waited for the price to drop.

But yeah, at least Cain is really cool!     

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »
Aki; The fact that you (and others on here) feel that Binary Domain is an A+ game despite its various broken gameplay systems (including dialogue trees that at times make literally no sense and hit or miss voice commands) is, I feel, in part because you're huge fans of Nagoshi and his "Sega feel" and that was what enabled you to love what was (in my opinion, lol) a good but fairly deriative game. Had it come from a different publisher/developer I doubt you and some others on here would have even played it, and if you did happen to play it, wouldn't have liked it as much as you did.

Obviously I don't expect you to agree AT ALL with what I just typed, lol, but that's my take on it.  :P

See I do not see the point in trying to paint me as some sort of blind fanboy? Especially as I have shown to dislike or have lukewarm reception to games like Kenzan, Dead Souls and both the Black Panther titles (And originally Binary Domain too) And with the review scores you have dished out for some titles, perhaps we should not question why I rate the game so highly but I should question your own personal jusgement? Of course I would not, it is opinions at the end of the day and everyone has their own select set of preferences.

See we can try to discredit each other but I see no point in doing so. I liked Binary Domain after it started to look like it would be a good game and not because Nagoshi was making it. Did I enjoy it more because it was a SEGA game? Doubt it, if I had such vigorous loyalty towards them I would have liked Vanquish, or Sonic Colours, or Rhythm Thief etc

I wasn't really arguing against that, I was arguing that there's a distinct style and traits present in Japanese art direction that varies from Western art direction and makes it stand out from it.

SEGA's art generally stood out from other Japanese and American publishers though.

Well, that's debatable.

Master System, failure, Mega Drive, failure, Saturn, somewhat successful, Dreamcast, failure.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:23:38 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Ben

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2012, 06:02:38 pm »
See I do not see the point in trying to paint me as some sort of blind fanboy? Especially as I have shown to dislike or have lukewarm reception to games like Kenzan, Dead Souls and both the Black Panther titles (And originally Binary Domain too)

And see now I think you're vastly over-reacting to what I said. I did not call you a "blind fanboy" nor was I trying to "discredit" you.

But if you still don't understand my argument then I see little point in continuing much further. 

I'm a fan of Kevin Smith, (...not quite as much anymore but the example will work in this case) I can watch his movies and oftentimes really enjoy them, certainly more than non-Kevin Smith fans, because I like the dude's personality, which seeps into his work, as well as the work itself; all of which counter-balances the flaws it may have. That doesn't mean I'm a "blind fanboy" but it means that Kevin Smith's work "speaks to me" in a way that it probably doesn't to other people because I'm a fan of the director.

That doesn't mean I like everything he's done but that's what being a "fan" is.

Master System, failure, Mega Drive, failure, Saturn, somewhat successful, Dreamcast, failure.

All have failed in the West as well (except the Genesis) so.....

SEGA's art generally stood out from other Japanese and American publishers though.

Right, it's its own thing....that said, it's Japanese, man. Western games do not have characters who look like this, I'm sorry;

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:18:05 pm by -nSega54- »

Offline Centrale

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2012, 08:11:21 pm »
That might not be the best example to emphasize how Japanese Sega's style is, since it appears to be quite similar to both Pippi Longstocking and the fast food chain Wendy's character. 

Also, I have to take exception to describing the Master System and Dreamcast as 'failures' in the West since they both actually performed spectacularly in various parts of the West.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2012, 12:31:15 am »

Also, I have to take exception to describing the Master System and Dreamcast as 'failures' in the West since they both actually performed spectacularly in various parts of the West.

Well, going by the numbers, the Master System wasn't very successful here in North America. I wouldn't go so far to call it an outright failure, but it's life was short-lived when compared to the NES. Genesis was kicking serious ass up until the release of the SNES and, even then, it was neck-and-neck. The SEGA CD and 32X were failures. Saturn wasn't tops, though it had a decent life in spite of a poor launch and steep price tag. Dreamcast, I guess, is considered a failure. Still, initial sales were strong before PS2 hit the scene....

Such a shame.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Ben

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:55 am »
That might not be the best example to emphasize how Japanese Sega's style is, since it appears to be quite similar to both Pippi Longstocking and the fast food chain Wendy's character. 

lol....wha? Aika's got the anime eyes and everything....

At any rate I'm referring to video game characters. Not characters for fast food restaurants who were designed in the 1960s. (Though I think she looks nothing like the Wendy's character, lol. The hair...sort of. Maybe. I'll give you that.)

Hm, 'spectacular' is a pretty major overstatement. The Dreamcast had a great North American launch but sales began to slide dramatically as the PS2 approached and it did not do well enough to sustain Sega's console business. Master System I don't know much about but I wasn't under the impression that it was any kind of big success over here either.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:36:34 am by -nSega54- »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2012, 09:23:45 am »
Honestly I think Skies of Arcadia looks very different from your usual anime. I always thought so from the first time I started up the game and saw Alfonso. As other people said, SEGA is indeed a japanese company but has always had a very western flavor to it. That is among the few things which I personally find distinct about SEGA

I disagree with the people that SEGA doesn't have a distinct style. When I play sonic allstars racing that style is felt everywhere. Doesn't mean SEGA doesn't have games that are totally different or mainstream looking, but especially when in the console era, SEGA has always been known for its colorful "edgyness" in my opinion. I'm indeed a fan for that reason.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2012, 12:02:40 pm »
Saturn wasn't tops, though it had a decent life in spite of a poor launch and steep price tag.
While that maybe true in the West, the Saturn did last longer than the other Sega consoles in Japan with great promotion from Segata Sanshiro and games like Sakura Wars selling out on the first day.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Centrale

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »
lol....wha? Aika's got the anime eyes and everything....

At any rate I'm referring to video game characters. Not characters for fast food restaurants who were designed in the 1960s. (Though I think she looks nothing like the Wendy's character, lol. The hair...sort of. Maybe. I'll give you that.)

Hm, 'spectacular' is a pretty major overstatement. The Dreamcast had a great North American launch but sales began to slide dramatically as the PS2 approached and it did not do well enough to sustain Sega's console business. Master System I don't know much about but I wasn't under the impression that it was any kind of big success over here either.

Well if you don't see the similarities (or refuse to acknowledge them), that's fine, but I'll just say that I don't think game character designers limit their influences to only other game characters...  they are looking all around. ;D

Regarding the spectacularity, it is the Dreamcast launch I was thinking of, as it was for a time the most successful entertainment industry launch ever.  Obviously things went downhill from there, but that doesn't diminish its initial accomplishment.  As for the Master System, it was the dominant 8-bit console in Europe during its lifespan, and competed favorably even with the great European 8-bit and 16-bit come computers.  So successful that it had a number of magazines dedicated specifically to it.  And it also was extraordinarily successful in Brazil well into the mid-late 90s.  So, the "West" refers to a lot more than just North America.

Offline loempiavreter

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45:06 pm »
SEGA has dreamt up some fairly terrible concepts too though, AM2 even has two bad games to their name.
Curious to hear what you think those 2 titles are.

Do not tell me games like Halo, Monkey Island, Psychonauts or Grim Fandango did not have good art direction.

Wait, what? Halo and good art direction in one sentance?

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2012, 12:00:27 am »
While that maybe true in the West, the Saturn did last longer than the other Sega consoles in Japan with great promotion from Segata Sanshiro and games like Sakura Wars selling out on the first day.

Oh, totally. I was only refering to America. The Saturn was fairly healthy in Japan. SEGA's Master System and Mega Drive were the shit in Brazil.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Ben

« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2012, 08:57:10 am »
Well if you don't see the similarities (or refuse to acknowledge them), that's fine, but I'll just say that I don't think game character designers limit their influences to only other game characters...  they are looking all around. ;D

Regarding the spectacularity, it is the Dreamcast launch I was thinking of, as it was for a time the most successful entertainment industry launch ever.  Obviously things went downhill from there, but that doesn't diminish its initial accomplishment.  As for the Master System, it was the dominant 8-bit console in Europe during its lifespan, and competed favorably even with the great European 8-bit and 16-bit come computers.  So successful that it had a number of magazines dedicated specifically to it.  And it also was extraordinarily successful in Brazil well into the mid-late 90s.  So, the "West" refers to a lot more than just North America.

Haha the hair is the only similarity I see. My point though was that Western video games do not have characters that look like that. Japan favors more of an "anything goes" approach and always has. I didn't mean to imply that Sega has had NO Western success, but Sega as a console manufacturer hasn't done well in the West outside the Genesis; small triumphs (like the Dreamcast North America launch) aside, nothing they've released in the West has been deemed truly successful.

Dreamcast didn't do particularly well in Europe while the Master System didn't do well in North America. Saturn didn't do well on either continent and neither did the 2 Genesis add-ons or the handhelds. Either way you slice it, Sega has not had a ton of success in the West, again, aside from the Genesis...which still wasn't #1. They've had some moderate accomplishments, but not another success story.

Wait, what? Halo and good art direction in one sentance?

Halo 4 does.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:59:22 am by -nSega54- »