Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 733399 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #1920 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:04 am »
@Barry: Glad to hear you're enjoying WarioWare D.I.Y. It's one of the few in the series that I haven't played, so I'll have to give it a look soon.

I've been neglecting FFVIII a bit, but I've made a ton of progress in Jak and Daxter.  The game mechanics aren't super groundbreaking or anything, but it's pretty hard to stop playing.  The (almost always) seamless transition between the levels is pretty impressive for a game of it's time.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1921 on: August 30, 2012, 12:55:26 pm »
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Milllenium

[spoiler]The boss that I have to fight in the friggin air castle stage, Lashiec is hard. I've been level grinding like crazy and I still haven't beaten him. AAAARGGGHHH![/spoiler]

Update: [spoiler]Oh... I beat him. Phewww... [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:48:32 pm by max_cady »

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1922 on: August 31, 2012, 10:37:01 am »
I just beat Super Princess Peach, and got the Platinum trophy in Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy :D.
Back to FFVIII...

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1923 on: September 03, 2012, 04:17:21 pm »
17 hours into Phantasy Star IV: The End of The Millenium...

I feel weird saying this but I need a break from this JRPG and try other games, but TheHut.com is takin' forever to send me a copy of Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters. I ordered it on August 10th, for crying out loud!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1924 on: October 02, 2012, 03:00:40 pm »
I've been playing a little more of Kingdom Hearts: Dream drop distance, and after my last post, where I wasn't very certain,  I can savely say now that it's the best Kingdom Hearts i've played so far.

The problem I had with Kingdom Hearts 2 was that the characters were simply too overpowered in comparison to the enemies. In Dream Drop Distance the playable characters are still very powerful, but the enemies are as well so it's more balanced out in that regard.

I gotta say, I am very satisfied with the 3DS. Really a great handheld, only wish I had the XL :P

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1925 on: October 02, 2012, 06:37:25 pm »
Here's a rundown of what I've been playin' lately...

Phantasy Star IV - Finished it. An impressive RPG for the Genesis.

Prince of Persia - I took the advice of a close friend and started playin', at first I was largely unimpressed and it's "Platforming for Dummies" approach was infuriating to say the least, but it eventually won me over. Except for the cop-out ending, further aggravated by the Epilogue ending, something clearly went wrong here.
Splinter Cell - Conviction - Started playin' and was makin' pretty good progress. The one comical aspect is how the enemies address Sam Fisher, at times they sound so intimate it feels like a high school reunion.

Resident Evil 6 - I put Slinter Cell: Conviction on hold so I could sink my teeth into this one. I'm playin' the Leon campaign, so far, I'm liking the game.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #1926 on: October 03, 2012, 04:21:05 am »
I also have been playing Resident Evil 6. I started off with Chris' campaign and I'm now on chapter four of five. Even though he's the most popular character, I don't really like Leon all the much and so I'll probably play as his partner Helena once I play that campaign. So far I've been really enjoying the game.The J'avo enemies have a lot of variety in their mutations so that has definitely kept me on my toes. Also, there was a pretty spiffy boss fight on the third chapter followed by a cool chase sequence. In terms of mechanics there are a load of differences between this game and RE5, but once I found my groove I've been having a good time. Once I finish Chris' story I'm going to play Jake's campaign next and playing as Sherry Birkin.

NiGHTS is currently downloading for my system so I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but I am quite eager too. NiGHTS is one of those games I've always wanted to play and now I finally can! 
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1927 on: October 03, 2012, 05:37:47 pm »
Resident Evil 6

I finished the Leon campaign this afternoon and started playin' Jake and Sherry's storyline. I just finished chapter 2. This game has been getting a lot of divise reviews, some people love it, others just flat out hate it. I can see it on both sides. When I was playin' through the Leon campaign, there were a lot of great elements and a few bad ones, the good stuff was very enjoyable and won me over, but ever so often you'll stop dead on your tracks because of a very annoying game mechanic that either:

a) Feels like padding to artificially prolong the game;
b) A poorly implemented QTE sequence that results in cheap deaths;
c) Long drawn out shoot-outs where it's never clear what you are supossed to do;

Hope I'm not spoilin' anything by saying this but [spoiler] whoever designed those last QTEs sequences, namely ropeclimbing, in the Leon campaign should be fired. Seriously, even Sonic '06 and Sonic Unleashed has better QTE sequences than this game![/spoiler] The bad stuff in this game is just so infuriatingly bad that you'll actually lose your cool.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #1928 on: October 05, 2012, 04:34:35 am »
I downloaded Cave Story for my 3DS last night and thus far it has been a joy to play. The visuals and music are all quite charming and I love the take on the Metroid style of gameplay. The story also has me intrigued and I'm eager to see what will happen next.

Completed Chris' story on Resident Evil 6 and the final chapter is absolutely insane! I think that has got to be one of the most intense boss battles across the Resident Evil games. Loved Chris' campaign! I'm now onto Jake's story, playing as Sherry Birkin and I gotta say that the scenes between these two really has some of the most heartfelt dialogue in the entire series.  The references to Sherry's past from RE2 was done really well and there is a cool theme about "fathers" going on. Jake's campaign has had a lot of cool and tense moments and I can't wait for the big final face-off with the Ustanak.   

Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1929 on: October 05, 2012, 02:48:50 pm »
I finished Sherry and Jake's campaign a while ago.

It had a few bumps on the road, but overall, it's been a nice adventure... It's pretty much Resident Evil 3: Nemesis redux.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1930 on: October 05, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »
I just played all the way through NiGHTS.
I never had a chance to play it on the Saturn, so I can't really speak for any changes, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I still don't get why the Wii sequel get's so much hate nowadays. I'm pretty sure people who went back and played it would see it as a fun little game.

Christmas NiGHTS was a nice bonus :D.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1931 on: October 05, 2012, 07:01:07 pm »
RESIDENT EVIL 6

Well, I started playing Chris and Pier's campaign. Personally, I felt it's the dullest, mainly because his campaign is already included on most of the most dramatic moments on the other titles, yet this one is pretty cool in it's own way. I mean, Chris has the strongest melee strikes out of all the main characters and you have a squad with you all the way. I've actually seen my squad take out nearly all of the enemies onscreen while I was just siting there with a knife (some of the enemies are friggin' bullet-spunges btw) and I just went out their corpses and picked up the items they dropped.  Sweet.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #1932 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:24 am »
Played Resident Evil 6, NiGHTS into Dreams, Sonic Adventure 2 but I very occupied with Sakura Wars 1 from the Collection Box for the Dreamcast and it's very addictive. I'm almost to the last chapter of the game and I really think that Sega should have released the DC port sometime during the Dreamcast lifespan. It's really not that bad. Both the "heavy-text" and "strategy tactic" gameplay made the game very unique with such a dynamic story & characters. I'm very familiar with the Imperial Flower Combat Troop from the OVAs, but the game helped me understand each and every character even more. The strategy tactic part of the game has to be the most simple gameplay in a SRPG ever and is a bit similar to Shining Force with the grid map. You don't even need to level up in this game like Shining Force either. Once I'm done with the first game, I'm starting on Sakura Wars 2 which is 3-disc long. @_@ Wish me luck!

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #1933 on: October 08, 2012, 01:17:41 am »
Playing Metal Gear Solid and it took a really long time for me to defeat Gray Fox...

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1934 on: October 08, 2012, 02:57:16 am »
RESIDENT EVIL 6

I finished the Chris campaign and just started playing the Ada campaign, it's a little different, because you have no partner and your weapons aren't much to write home about. It's more about puzzle solving than anything else.