Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675969 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1950 on: May 30, 2017, 01:11:20 pm »
I mean look at the new Character in Shenmue III, he looks like he should be in Street Fighter V and not in Shenmue.

Nah, he looks like he fits right in with the street fighters and arm wrestlers from Shenmue II, except with a contemporary polygon count.

I posted this image at Shenmue Dojo as something to consider for people who were insisting that Shenmue was all about photorealism. But speaking specifically of the newly revealed character, you can see there have obviously been crazy bodybuilder-types all along in Shenmue. Not to mention the other aesthetic cues, broad mouths, exaggerated features etc.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #1951 on: May 30, 2017, 03:09:13 pm »
Shenmue is meant to look street.   8)   That's what makes it so relatible.
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #1952 on: May 30, 2017, 03:12:41 pm »
C'Mon most games cost huge amounts of money, sure middleware takes care of the need to build an engine or sound and physics tools. But when you're making a game that meant to be real as possible and create a living and breathing world that takes an army of art and modeling staff alone. One only needs to look at Yakuza credits for that, never mind what Ubi and 2K come up with

And you're right we have moved on and Shenmue III is coming against SEGA own Yakuza, never mind Ubisoft open world games and 2k Red Dead II or GTA V . Can almost see the kicking this game will get on the likes of NeoGAF.

I don't care if it gets bad reviews, I just want to see the rest of the story in this lifetime.
Be like water.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #1953 on: May 31, 2017, 02:44:50 am »
Nah, he looks like he fits right in with the street fighters and arm wrestlers from Shenmue II, except with a contemporary polygon
He doesn't look real and the body seems totally blown up and out of proportion, it looks like a Street Fighter V model imo

Shenmue was about trying to make a real world, but one with the limits of tech of the time, I mean back them most games didn't even feature independent figure movement and modelling, the level of research  to make Shenmue real was nuts, correct weather patterns (long before one could google them) , studding fish movement and even researching how telephone corded moved and reacted  never mind the other bonkers stuff the team did to make the game as real as possible 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #1954 on: May 31, 2017, 02:47:55 am »
I don't care if it gets bad reviews, I just want to see the rest of the story in this lifetime.

You should care. Looking over how it would damage the IP and leave a bad tatse for people, how it would be humiliating for Yu Suzuki on a personal level (and he is a GOD to me). Shenmue III won't finish the story, only Shenmue IV (and even that might not be enough)  will do that and so we all need Shenmue III to be amazing and sell amazing to get the final end to the game
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #1955 on: May 31, 2017, 07:08:46 am »
And yet Kingdom Hearts had the same graphics until KH3.  :p  Honestly it doesn't bother me at all.  It looks nice enough.
Be like water.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #1956 on: May 31, 2017, 07:22:37 am »
And yet Kingdom Hearts had the same graphics until KH3.  :p  Honestly it doesn't bother me at all.  It looks nice enough.

But were on about Shenmue. Shenmue was an IP built and made to very highest standards of what was around at the time and what the DC was able to achieve. 

Just watch this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbrSmqnegIk

Yu Suzuki wasn't even happy with stuff like fires effects in the game, unless it looked real as possible
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:25:24 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1957 on: May 31, 2017, 09:44:15 am »
Real?
Shenmue had fucking Smeagol as a character.
SEG4GES

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #1958 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:51 am »
This is just a snapshot of the divide in the Shenmue community, where you have one group of people saying "Shenmue was the most photorealistic game ever created!!! I remember how real it looked to me as a teenager!!!" and another group of people who are saying "Shenmue has always been detailed, yet very stylized."

What do you think, Cool Z?

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1959 on: May 31, 2017, 10:57:17 am »
SEG4GES

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #1960 on: May 31, 2017, 06:06:42 pm »
This is just a snapshot of the divide in the Shenmue community, where you have one group of people saying "Shenmue was the most photorealistic game ever created!!! I remember how real it looked to me as a teenager!!!" and another group of people who are saying "Shenmue has always been detailed, yet very stylized."

What do you think, Cool Z?

It has style.  Every NPC is unique and outrageously designed.  :)
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #1961 on: May 31, 2017, 06:07:16 pm »
What if the graphics were more along the line of VF5?
Be like water.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1962 on: June 01, 2017, 02:54:51 am »
The games direction was mostly for a realistic style and it did a great job of that, but I think they did knowingly stick some characters in there with cartoon like features to make them standout from the average NPC. I mean, for all it's realism, let's not forget this game was clearly inspired by 80s films in tone and action at times.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #1963 on: June 01, 2017, 10:04:04 am »
. I mean, for all it's realism, let's not forget this game was clearly inspired by 80s films in tone and action at times.

Lets not forget the game took place in 1986 either ;)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1964 on: June 08, 2017, 04:11:52 am »
Shenmue III has been delayed till late 2018: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1905604

Not surprised and nor should anyone else be.