Author Topic: How do you believe Sonic should play?  (Read 2302 times)

Chad

How do you believe Sonic should play?
« on: December 08, 2015, 08:51:33 am »
Yeah, it's my third topic, and if this considered spamming, then... well, I won't make a new thread for a while.

However, I have to ask this, as it could really be put to good use anyways. How do you believe Sonic should play?

As for me, I feel Sonic controls the best in a 3D environment, mainly because of how open he can move. When put to good use, it can be extremely fun.

I like to use the first two Sonic games as a proper template. The first game for the mechanics, and the second game for the pacing. The first Sonic game actually had a great way of traversing through the stages by using gained momentum, as opposed to given. The spin dash in the second game somewhat defeated the purpose of gaining momentum, so I feel like it somewhat defeats the purpose of what Sonic was supposed to be. True, Sonic CD had the super peel-out, which I also feel does the same thing. I like when Sonic runs and accelerates, as well as keeps his speed. No boost nor spin dash. Just running, jumping, and rolling. Run through the stages, jump into enemies, and roll down slopes.

I also feel like the homing attack needs to be removed as well. It feels a bit more satisfying to jump into an enemy, mainly because that's what he's known to do. Homing attack somewhat only works in a 3D environment to make attacking a bit easier... so how do you do this without homing attacking? Well, there's the option of rolling into the enemies, as well as jumping into them. Rather than having a separate homing ATTACK, I was thinking that it'd be better off to having a "parenting" mechanic that basically homes in on an enemy when close enough to an enemy and jumping into it. However, it'd be SLIGHT.

Stage to stage. No hub worlds, none of that. Just cutscenes and stages (as well as a boss). Short stages (like three to four minutes), but plentiful. Less development for missions, hub worlds, and extra abilities would allow for more development for stages and whatnot.

Perhaps the three elemental shields should be back from Sonic 3 and Knuckles for extra abilities, though. They work exactly like they do in that game, except in a 3D environment. Double jumping with the electric shield, bouncing with the bubble shield, and air dashing with the fire shield. Not to mention the invincibility shield and the running shoes. No lives, as lives should be infinite... well, okay. I feel lives make things a bit better. So yeah, lives as well.

One more control mechanic. Sonic needs a run button like in Sonic Lost World. You essentially begin running to accelerate towards a certain speed, and when that button is held, Sonic can run even FASTER. To make things easier, it should probably be the left trigger (with the right trigger dedicated to rolling and ducking). So the three controls are the A(X) button to jump, the left analog stick to move, the left trigger to run, and the right trigger to roll/duck. The left bumper can be used to shift the camera to behind Sonic, and the right analog stick can be used to adjust the camera if needed. Incredibly simplistic controls.

Yeah. lol

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: How do you believe Sonic should play?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
Levels:

3D environment with multiple paths like the SGen and classic sonic, but with the camera pulled back a bit more so you can see around you for said paths and secrets etc. Each zone has 2/3 acts and ends with a boss.

Controls/mechanics:

Keep the homing attack as it's far better in 3D and needed to tackle with depth perception for players while also being useful for other mechanics. I would scrap boost. I would have Sonic's speed built from momentum rewarded by dodging enemies, traps etc. Sonic is fast, but Generations/unleashed was a bit too much and made him uncontrollable at times. I mean, Generations was fun, but I found it equally fun going back and only using boost when really needed. As a result, I found multiple pathways and items etc.

Other characters:

If they're going to be there, then use them properly. Design levels where Espon has to sneak in to Robotnik based undetected using his chameleon camouflage ability, Tails' flying, Knuckles strength etc.

Story:

Keep it simple. The best stories out there are the simplest. Heck, look at Pixar. They're powerfully told, but they're all pretty simple.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:39:01 am by Tad »