Author Topic: What exactly is SOJ management good for?  (Read 19946 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Re: What exactly is SOJ management good for?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 06:20:40 am »
Face it SOJ management needs to change...

I wonder why Sammy won't put their foot down on the upper management and tell them to actually streamline their business or face the chop?

If SOJ is not doing anything due to Sammy putting their trust in them, then SOJ are kind of abusing the trust of their benefactors. I want SOJ to at least make an effort like the Western Branches, and I am sure Sammy wants SOJ to make games for the global market.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 06:39:08 am »
I wonder why Sammy won't put their foot down on the upper management and tell them to actually streamline their business or face the chop?

If SOJ is not doing anything due to Sammy putting their trust in them, then SOJ are kind of abusing the trust of their benefactors. I want SOJ to at least make an effort like the Western Branches, and I am sure Sammy wants SOJ to make games for the global market.

I think its clear that's what's happening. If Sammy was really putting the shackles on sega than half the things we have seen sega do in the last few years just wouldn't have happened. Would their have been a BINARY DOMAIN for example which was a huge risk for them considering that Shooters are not that big in japan? Would atlus have been taken over by Sega as it was Sega that wanted the purchase and not Sammy. And the huge money thrown at Sega west to do whatever they wanted would not have happened either. Its obvious Sammy gives SOJ the funds for whatever and SOJ uses it on what they want. Yes there is a big cost cutting measure going on and in the months to come but this isn't something that will affect how SOJ decides to do things.
As i said before this problem existed before Sammy came alng..SOJ just became inselur and started and slowly withdrawing from the west in terms of their first party games..most of which just wouldn't appeal to the western gamer as they are japan centric...It was quiter bad in the early to mid noughties as many of their games were japan focused. The latest games are all on mobile and are RPGS..which some are coming over to the west..while others are games not being localised.
PSO 2 for example has proven to be a big hit for Sega...its built on the success of PHANTASY STAR PORTABLE where the game now is a brand that is a strong seller and popular to the public. But PSO like many of SOJ classic titles were more popular in the west before japan consumers woke up to the joys of PHANTASY STAR. And like what happened with the saturn SOJ shows the contempt by not releasing it over in the west. I doubt Sammy if they were totally controlling Sega would not let a succesful game not be released in the west for so long. So obviously SOJ has leeway to do what it wants within reason..just like Atlus is supposed to have now under Sega.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 09:35:57 am »
Interesting insight.

Although shouldn't SOJ look at the potential numbers of their franchises performances if they marketed in the west? The likes of ATLUS, NISA and Vanillaware, despite being smaller in structure, know how to make a profit off of even nicher games. I'm sure SEGA's games still have more appeal to the West than say...Disgaea (I like that series myself, although I can see why it's niche).

If SOJ are really just thinking the West isn't into their games, then they could not be looking at the realistic numbers for their foreign customers. It's understandable if Yakuza flopped after a few attempts, but something like PSO2 shouldn't flop nearly as bad.

I guess the risk to them is that they would be seen as not appealing enough or perhaps thinking the audience is very small, which could be true since they aren't exposing themselves like yesteryear. Perhaps a shake up is indeed needed in the company, where a Alan Becker (??) type of person could come in and re-evaluate why SEGA have retreated their Japanese products solely in Japan (a market that is shrinking every generation) and perhaps encourage the upper management to actually make an effort with their current projects to perhaps make them more western aware that the audience is there, they just need to budget accordingly.

I don't honestly know if it'd work, but the current trend with the likes of SEGA, Konami and Capcom is that they are streamlining well known products and ignoring localising interesting games that could be the next big thing. In some cases, people are just seeing SEGA as a "has been" and Capcom as a company that refuses to use Mega Man. (although it depends on taste regarding MM, I personally don't think the series is that good but I respect those who love him)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:38:25 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 10:38:52 am »
I heard Nagoshi say once that he prefers the method of getting popular in Japan and then "breaking" into the rest of the World. Not a bad way of going about it, doesn't seem to be happening tough.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »
With the notice of Sega Europe is going to publish and distributed(Koch Media) an Atlus game, I see good reactions about that from fans of that company.

If this boost sales of P.Diva 2nd for whatever reason, it's is possible that they could try one more time localizing a game with mid-tier (expected) audience.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 02:49:22 pm »
I'm not a liar...unfortunately for you you've been caught out several times in the same topic...and that was last month...

You and its easy to prove and find you out . I'm not a fan of SEGA Arcade games ?

Who was saying this more than 4 years back ...

How ?  its PC tech in every shape way and form . Its also vastly out powered,  by the likes of 360 and the PS3 (christ shake,  its a Mid range Pentium 4 , with a GeForce 6 card ) . Yet VS fighters developed from the ground up, for the 360 (DOA IV) or PS3 (Tekken 6) don't look as good as VF 5 imo , never mind when VF 5 Final ships  . That's the  sheer class of AM#2 , and there's never been a better character model than Eileen in any Vs 3D Fighter im
[/color]
[/color]You want to to list the total number of Lindberg games and RingEdge games developed by AM#2 ?. I'm sure they've pumped just a bit more, and imo games graphically far better too .SEGA Consumer Teams haven't been inthe same league Arcade Teams ,
[/color]

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=9.30

So sorry don't try that game with me ... Take it back and say sorry , that would be nice

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »

You and its easy to prove and find you out . I'm not a fan of SEGA Arcade games ?

Who was saying this more than 4 years back ...

Yawn keep spinning..no one said you weren't a fan....here is a reminder...

I'm not a liar...unfortunately for you you've been caught out several times in the same topic...and that was last month...
But you 've been complaing "that no one looks forward to sega games anymore" and how bad the arcade scene is segawise..suggesting that they are rubbish because they are using inferior tech. That's the implication. Now you are backtracking and saying tha the games are good? Really..backtracking 101..as usual.

Now tell me where exactly does it say that i said you weren't a fan of arcades? Don't you think people never read you're posts or mine? Caught out in lying once again...
So sorry don't try that game with me ... Take it back and say sorry , that would be nice

I'd suggest you take that advice and prove where i said you weren't a fan. Never said it in this topic. All i said is you saying thatt he games are rubbish then when someone pays you atention you backtrack on what you said. Either the games are rubbish and the tech or they are not. Sto spinning  please were all tired of it now...

Offline ROJM

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »
Interesting insight.

Although shouldn't SOJ look at the potential numbers of their franchises performances if they marketed in the west? The likes of ATLUS, NISA and Vanillaware, despite being smaller in structure, know how to make a profit off of even nicher games. I'm sure SEGA's games still have more appeal to the West than say...Disgaea (I like that series myself, although I can see why it's niche).

If SOJ are really just thinking the West isn't into their games, then they could not be looking at the realistic numbers for their foreign customers. It's understandable if Yakuza flopped after a few attempts, but something like PSO2 shouldn't flop nearly as bad.

I guess the risk to them is that they would be seen as not appealing enough or perhaps thinking the audience is very small, which could be true since they aren't exposing themselves like yesteryear. Perhaps a shake up is indeed needed in the company, where a Alan Becker (??) type of person could come in and re-evaluate why SEGA have retreated their Japanese products solely in Japan (a market that is shrinking every generation) and perhaps encourage the upper management to actually make an effort with their current projects to perhaps make them more western aware that the audience is there, they just need to budget accordingly.

I don't honestly know if it'd work, but the current trend with the likes of SEGA, Konami and Capcom is that they are streamlining well known products and ignoring localising interesting games that could be the next big thing. In some cases, people are just seeing SEGA as a "has been" and Capcom as a company that refuses to use Mega Man. (although it depends on taste regarding MM, I personally don't think the series is that good but I respect those who love him)

I've been arguing that for years with people who like to make popular comments that other people like without dealing with the facts. Its not like Sega didn't try to appeal to the west. We saw it with the initial xbox releases , the strengthening of their western divisions and getting platinum games and others to provide content..but most of that didn't work out. In japan however its been the opposite since they have ben making profit very quicky in their home market from the get go as a third party. But now the focus is too much on japan and not anywhere else.
And yes PSO2 would definitely have had a better chance than YAKUZA. The first PSO was popular in the west and its sequels..so PSO2 could have easily made a strong mark in the west. YAKUZA makes sense but that is all down to how they treated the game when it was first brought over to the west and not +embracing the title for what it is. As well as Sega west's poor marketing machine which affected other titles as well as YAKUZA.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 04:05:22 am »
Now tell me where exactly does it say that i said you weren't a fan of arcades

You said

That's the implication. Now you are backtracking and saying tha the games are good? Really..backtracking 101..as usual..

Trying in a lame and pathetic way to make out that I backtracked on SEGA Arcade games being good . Sorry I am and always have been a fan of SEGA Arcade divisions

I'd suggest you take that advice and prove where i said you weren't a fan

You tried and failed  like usual . I don't backtrack and haven't change my tune or view over SOJ for years - That probably what annoy most people granted . But I want the best for SEGA Japan ...I want to look forward to their games and tech like I used too and for the press and and gaming public to be talking good of SEGA again

If Sammy was really putting the shackles on sega than half the things we have seen sega do in the last few years just wouldn't have happened

Who slashed SEGA R&D spend by over 25% and at the time time canceled loads of games ? . C'Mon Sammy been sure to make SEGA slash it's costs and its shown in SEGA results . Great for profits not great for us gamers imo

Would their have been a BINARY DOMAIN for example which was a huge risk for them considering that Shooters are not that big in japan

3rd person shooters/action games  can sell in decent numbers in Japan and if you dress in the game up with robots and what not.
You've got a better chance more so if it comes from a Japanese developer.

PSO 2 for example has proven to be a big hit for Sega...its built on the success of PHANTASY STAR PORTABLE where the game now is a brand that is a strong seller and popular to the public. But PSO like many of SOJ classic titles were more popular in the west before japan consumers woke up to the joys of PHANTASY STAR.

I'm sure PSO have always sold and done better in Japan and PSO came out in Japan 1st and was an instant hit for a DC title over there . PSO II just shows how dull the current SEGA board  is . Its a game that on the PC that not only could be ported to current consoles with easy (given they share much the same tech) , but also would work better in the west , given the internet and PC's are much more widespread.

SEGA Japan are just losing it big time and seriously need to up their game . They need some serious next gen pipelines and really need to sort their act out on getting IP that can work on the worldwide stage. Look to the Japanese market which is shirking year on year and becoming handheld central just isn't the answer  . Its depressing as these were the same issues SEGA had last gen and its done nothing to sort them out

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 05:33:24 am »

You said

I know what i said...too bad you can't spin it. try again...

But you 've been complaing "that no one looks forward to sega games anymore" and how bad the arcade scene is segawise..suggesting that they are rubbish because they are using inferior tech. That's the implication. Now you are backtracking and saying tha the games are good? Really..backtracking 101..as usual.

Now here is some of your recent comments...
Now even SEGA in the Arcades isn't the force it once was. Its new Arcade boards behind the tech Namco or even bloody TATIO offer for christ sake

and its shown in SOJ rubbish output of late .

Which indicates everything they have made including arcade games...then in a comment to someone else you said the arcade teams are still making good games..

The fact that SEGA Arcade teams make better games is never in doubt

see how one contradicts the other? ::) So backtracking is the word here...

Trying in a lame and pathetic way to make out that I backtracked on SEGA Arcade games being good . Sorry I am and always have been a fan of SEGA Arcade divisions
you simply have little understanding of the english language. You said arcade games from sega recently are bad because they use low tech. That was an implication. No where does it say that you aren't a fan of sega arcade games which have a whole history going back 70 years or 40 years if we separate SOJ stuff. So hard luck. If i said you weren't a fan of sega arcade games that would be different but i didn't. I just said you were saying that you effectively stated that their arcade games of recent years are bad and then all of a sudden you back tracked. That was what he conversation was focused on. That's what people who replied on this also understood. Dont try to spin this into something it wasn't. You are such a frigging liar....for gods sake just stop. No one falls for your baloney anymore...

You tried and failed  like usual . I don't backtrack and haven't change my tune or view over SOJ for years
32x,saturn,MD arcade...Sega performance...the recent performance of sega and other companies in a recent topic...yeah you back track all the time..something i don't really need to prove either since its easy to find as well as everyone seeing you do it in action. Everyone has seen it here. Everyone knows it. Geez you really are living in a fantasy world...

- That probably what annoy most people granted . But I want the best for SEGA Japan ...I want to look forward to their games and tech like I used too and for the press and and gaming public to be talking good of SEGA again

In the nineties you mean when Sega and the arcades were really strong? Were not in the nineties anymore. Sega has to adapt to the way the market is. I don't like it but i accept it because i understand the market. Its about time you did.

Who slashed SEGA R&D spend by over 25% and at the time time canceled loads of games ? . C'Mon Sammy been sure to make SEGA slash it's costs and its shown in SEGA results . Great for profits not great for us gamers imo

That's recently. Stop trying to use that excuse as the main reason for SOJ fracking things up. SOJ has fracked up since day one. All sammy has done is give them what they needed when possible. So don't try to brainwash people that sammy is the evil guy here we all know SOJ management is a mess and always has been..regardless if CSK or Sammy were in charge.

3rd person shooters/action games  can sell in decent numbers in Japan and if you dress in the game up with robots and what not.

Yeah tell that to VANQUISH and BINARY DOMAIN....

You've got a better chance more so if it comes from a Japanese developer.

my previous comment still stands...

I'm sure PSO have always sold and done better in Japan and PSO came out in Japan 1st and was an instant hit for a DC title over there . PSO II just shows how dull the current SEGA board  is . Its a game that on the PC that not only could be ported to current consoles with easy (given they share much the same tech) , but also would work better in the west , given the internet and PC's are much more widespread.
Are you advocating why it shouldn't be brought over? that what it sounds like.
And regardless of whether its good or not as a customer that supported sega products for years many of them would like that choice to actually play it and see if they like it. That option is not given to them. And the reality is this..PHANTASY STAR as a series has sold BETTER in the west than in japan. That's a fact. Sega products historically have sold better in the west..without the west there wouldn't have been a PSO to get good sales in japan to begin with. And SOJ's gratitude for that is to deny them the latest releases in the PHANTASY STAR franchise. To me it doesn't matter but to a lot of people it sure does. Its an insult to a base that has helped make Sega what they are not japan. But zealots like you and the SOJ bastard management will continue to deny and treat them like dirt...

SEGA Japan are just losing it big time and seriously need to up their game . They need some serious next gen pipelines and really need to sort their act out on getting IP that can work on the worldwide stage. Look to the Japanese market which is shirking year on year and becoming handheld central just isn't the answer  . Its depressing as these were the same issues SEGA had last gen and its done nothing to sort them out

same old story yet Sega is one of the bigger corps and doing better than capcom and half the japanese companies combined. Come back when you have a better excuse....

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:49:33 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 05:56:56 am »
You said arcade games from sega recently are bad because they use low tech.

No . I said they're impressive even with the lower tech . I'll defy you to show otherwise and if you can't don't say it and take it back .

32x,saturn,MD arcade...Sega performance.

Never changed my views on the Saturn, 32X or DC and as for SEGA performance I've been saying for over 5 years SEGA Japan needs to up its game .

In the nineties you mean when Sega and the arcades were really strong?

No I'm also about XBox and Cube days too. When SEGA was strong both in the Arcades and at home -maybe not with games sales, but SEGA cutting edge games were there in force and it had brilliant tech.

That's recently. Stop trying to use that excuse as the main reason for SOJ fracking things up.

Sorry its not recent . SAMMY been slowly slashing SEGA R&D spend and taking quick and easy fixes . The Platinum deal , dropping Ueda-san concept game and so on its goes .

Yeah tell that to VANQUISH and BINARY DOMAIN.

That's SEGA inept PR . Good God 3rd person shooters like Gundam and Armored Core have been going for years  3rd person shooters do sell in Japan.

Are you advocating why it shouldn't be brought over? that what it sounds like

PSO II should have been out years ago over here . Looking over the wider user bases of PC users in the West . PSO appeal was that it was a true World Wide game and how you could communicate and player with users from around the world . That was one of the magical aspects of PSO  and that lost with PSO II until it goes world wide and its also baffling how its not on the next gen consoles too .

same old story yet Sega is one of the bigger corps and doing better than capcom and half the japanese companies combined

Only SEGA Japan isn't . All its doing is milking its old IP better . In terms of games that sell and work on the world wide stage SEGA is way behind most and depressingly already behind Capcom , FromSoftware in terms of tech .

[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 07:26:27 am »

No . I said they're impressive even with the lower tech . I'll defy you to show otherwise and if you can't don't say it and take it back .

You didn't say that at first you said that all of SOJ's output was terrible...then you backtracked and said the arcade games were good....

Never changed my views on the Saturn, 32X or DC and as for SEGA performance I've been saying for over 5 years SEGA Japan needs to up its game .

Yes you have countless times..no point going into it most people seen you back track down the years on it.

No I'm also about XBox and Cube days too. When SEGA was strong both in the Arcades and at home -maybe not with games sales, but SEGA cutting edge games were there in force and it had brilliant tech.

Strange i never mentioned the early days of Sega's second run as a third party. Keep to the point...

Sorry its not recent . SAMMY been slowly slashing SEGA R&D spend and taking quick and easy fixes . The Platinum deal , dropping Ueda-san concept game and so on its goes .

No that is all SOJ...and i really doubt that they have been cutting from day one. Considering the amount of money sega received from them for producing so many titles including the expensive PG deal which you were complaining about. So  again you contradict yourself...Again stop blaming Sammy for the faults of Soj management. Geez if this was over 20 years ago you'd be agreeing with th SOJ management on Kalinske's proposals to break into the american market..funny you were proven wrong on that too about the ALTERED BEAST devil comment...

That's SEGA inept PR . Good God 3rd person shooters like Gundam and Armored Core have been going for years  3rd person shooters do sell in Japan.

Not ones heavily influenced by the west. They have had a very bad track record in terms of sales...only a few get some numbers but not all.BD was meant to succeed in the west

PSO II should have been out years ago over here . Looking over the wider user bases of PC users in the West . PSO appeal was that it was a true World Wide game and how you could communicate and player with users from around the world . That was one of the magical aspects of PSO  and that lost with PSO II until it goes world wide and its also baffling how its not on the next gen consoles too .
No disagreement on that...

Only SEGA Japan isn't . All its doing is milking its old IP better . In terms of games that sell and work on the world wide stage SEGA is way behind most and depressingly already behind Capcom , FromSoftware in terms of tech .
It isn't milking its old ip. Its making new ip but are released on a format that not many of us will get to play. And those games sell really strong.
And we have seen Sega unveil new tech which are mainly used in arcaes or solo games..BD didn't do well so there you go..
And sega makes more money both those companies combined on the worldstage...so they are hardly behind...

again you've been saying this tech thing since the mid noughties...It hasn't stopped them then and it isn't stopping them now..although i do agree there needs to be a change...and SOJ management is the first thing to change..since that's what's blocking everything else...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:30:45 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 11:24:18 am »
You didn't say that at first you said that all of SOJ's output was terrible...then you backtracked and said the arcade games were good

Consumer Teams, never Arcade and its quite clear even way back in topics from 4 years ago .
Yes you have countless times

Prove It

onsidering the amount of money sega received from them for producing so many titles including the expensive PG deal which you were complaining about.

The Platinum deal was part of the issues and the quick easy fix I was on about . Like I said back inthe day . SEGA Japan should have been having it own internal teams making action games and letting its own Teams go wide , rather than paying Platinum teams for the pleasure .

Strange i never mentioned the early days of Sega's second run as a third party

SEGA was great and strong up until 2005 and then its all started to go a bit pear shaped sadly.

No that is all SOJ...and i really doubt that they have been cutting from day one

Not not from day one, but from about 2009 onwards.

agreeing with th SOJ management on Kalinske's proposals to break into the american market..

Doing well in America is more of a must these days . Shame SEGA Japan or Sammy can't see that .

Its making new ip but are released on a format that not many of us will get to play

What major new IP is SEGA working on ? . SEGA Japan is nowhere on the next gen consoles really

BD didn't do well so there you go

When when you don't spent money or PR or push a product what does one expect ? . Launching a new IP at the tail of the consoles life was always a risky move too . SEGA should have the balls to stick with it , many IP don't do so great at the 1st attempt but then go on to get big sales

The likes of John Madden, Yakuza (where the 1st title didn't sell that massive) I really don't think Call of Duty on the PC or Monster Hunter on the PS2 were sales monsters but the publisher stuck with them and turned them in to sales monsters, same goes for the likes of Demon's Souls. Binary Domian is a brilliant games that needs a sequel to fix the 1st titles main issues of a lack of On-Line modes and 4 player On-Line co-op   

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 12:23:19 pm »

Consumer Teams, never Arcade and its quite clear even way back in topics from 4 years ago .

Nope you said SOJ output..the arcade is part of their output...don't bother spinning now...since it was clear on this topic that we were talking about sega games overall not just the consumer part.

Prove It

Ask aki and george..or do i have to drag the entire topic here to..like i said no need to when everyone here saw what happened.But even then i'm sure you will try and spin it to something else...sad really and childish...

The Platinum deal was part of the issues and the quick easy fix I was on about . Like I said back inthe day . SEGA Japan should have been having it own internal teams making action games and letting its own Teams go wide , rather than paying Platinum teams for the pleasure .

No it isn't. Its like anything a company the size of sega..getting contract studios to create games for them. And you 're sega history is really poor with that statement. In the old days they did exactly the same thing..having their internal teams making games in various genres and an outside team making games in the exact genres the internal teams were making games on. Really kids today...spinning lying and no knowledge of the company they think they know something about...

SEGA was great and strong up until 2005 and then its all started to go a bit pear shaped sadly.

Absolute tosh and poppycock. The mid noughties 2003-2007 was one of the worse sega gaming periods we have next to this period from 2013..onwards...SONIC 2006..NIGHTS 2..MONKEY BALL games that wasn't up to scratch...endless megadrive ports...bad western games like THE MATRIX and LEAGCY ONLINE...hardly a golden period at all...

Not not from day one, but from about 2009 onwards.

Baloney.

Doing well in America is more of a must these days . Shame SEGA Japan or Sammy can't see that .

Sammy the same company that recently expanded creative assembly's operations in the UK. Sammy who also helped sega europe to purchase Relic...oh yes they really are blind. If they had no intrest in the west they would n't have bothered giving SOJ the money so their divisions could make that purchase...again ignorance and no knowledge of the company or current realities in the market place of gaming...

What major new IP is SEGA working on ? . SEGA Japan is nowhere on the next gen consoles really

A shrinking maket that new gamers who are into social facebook and mobile gaming, who dont give a fig about? you are living in the past. You are acting that Sega has always ben in the lead for new tech since they were a third party...when the reality is they haven't. They have been in the lead on sega systems...but not as a third party.
I wonder if you are one of those idiots who thought sega games would blitz the gaming world because their systems were hindering them? Another myth destroyed since it showed that sega is an acquired taste. Again that type of mentality was typical of nintendo and PSX zealots who don't know about gaming...

When when you don't spent money or PR or push a product what does one expect ? . Launching a new IP at the tail of the consoles life was always a risky move too . SEGA should have the balls to stick with it , many IP don't do so great at the 1st attempt but then go on to get big sales

BD was advertised to the hilt in japan and still nothing happened. So SOJ doesn't have an excuse really...but again the market for that type of game isn't strong in japan...

The likes of John Madden, Yakuza (where the 1st title didn't sell that massive) I really don't think Call of Duty on the PC or Monster Hunter on the PS2 were sales monsters but the publisher stuck with them and turned them in to sales monsters, same goes for the likes of Demon's Souls. Binary Domian is a brilliant games that needs a sequel to fix the 1st titles main issues of a lack of On-Line modes and 4 player On-Line co-op

Different eras and different times...apples and oranges..and as for BD2, Well they're not doing that are they..not anytime soon...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:26:59 pm by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 02:18:13 pm »
Nope you said SOJ output..the arcade is part of their output

I'm on about the consumer teams simple as .

Ask aki and george..

I really don't know why you want to drag the likes of them into it , but by all means I'll defy anyone to show where I've back tracked on SEGA Arcade teams (in terms of making good games) Sega Saturn or the 32X .

Try it

Its like anything a company the size of sega..getting contract studios to create games for them

The deal was horrible and insulting to SOJ own internal teams . They should be allowed too and made to make action games, not pay a outside japan studio to do it for them . Its not like SEGA Japan hasn't or can't make great action games . 
The mid noughties 2003-2007 was one of the worse sega gaming periods we have next to this period from

I said 2005 . 2003 to 2005 was some of the best from SEGA. If you're going to make out that Panzer Dragoon Orta, VF 4 EVO, Yakuza , SEGA GT Online, F-Zero GX , OutRun 2, Outrun 2006 , HOTD III , Billy H were bad SEGA games ...I'll have to ask just what SEGA fan are you .

Baloney

True projects cancled and games like Val moved to PSP to save on costs and keep risks low .

Sammy the same company that recently expanded creative assembly's operations in the UK. Sammy who also helped sega europe to purchase Relic.

CA haven't grown that much and Relic is hardly going to have a major impact and under Sammy SEGA West seen not only it's In-House presence but also its premisses diminish .  To do well in the USA you need to be on the consoles and offer the USA gamer games they want . Sorry the likes of PC games like Total War or Football Manager aren't really going to do it for you

A shrinking maket that new gamers who are into social facebook and mobile gaming,

PS4 and XBox One sales are 80% above that of what the PS3 and XBox 360 sales were. Shirking markert my ass

According to NPD, "Hardware sales doubled in July 2014 (vs. July 2013), stemming from growth in eighth generation console sales which offset declines in seventh generation console and portable hardware." If you take the first nine months of PS4 and Xbox One being on the market, and compare them to the first respective nine months PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 were on the market, PS4 and Xbox One are outselling their predecessor combined by nearly 80 percent.

BD was advertised to the hilt in japan and still nothing happened

What Nagoshi-san going around Japan in a truck lol and the odd ad  . In the west it was ever worse with no major press or TV push . Pathetic

Different eras and different times

Demon souls was made in This era.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is