Author Topic: Sega West vs. Sega of Japan  (Read 6368 times)

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Sega West vs. Sega of Japan
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:05:23 pm »
I don't know how I am going to explain this in detail but...

Something bugs me about Sega West. I've notice a lot of people complaining that their not advertising their games that well like SOJ's Binary Domain and currently no news about the Western release of PSO2 which is due for a release in early 2013. But in Japan, they have multiple ads. I've also noticed that Sega West is lacking JRPG and tactical games on their list like Valkyria Chronicles and Sakura Taisen. It's like as if the company isn't even trying to bring SOJ games with full attention other than Sonic. What's the deal?

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Sega West vs. Sega of Japan
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »
I don't blame Sega West not bringing over those JRPG Anime games, like the 7th Dragon and the Shining games.

But yeah Sega West can't do nothing about games not being brought over. Sega Japan think way too Japan-centric, which includes like Marketing budget only being limited to Japan etc.

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:12:31 pm »
Shenmue is Japan-centric. In fact, I like the Japan-centric games that Sega makes.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 02:35:08 pm »
Shenmue is Japan-centric. In fact, I like the Japan-centric games that Sega makes.

Now personally, I think Shenmue was a little more global intented, than Yakuza is.

Now I don't think they should make games "more American" or something. But lately they have been definitly been making more Anime/Otaku style RPG's than they ever have.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:34:38 pm »

My favourite Sega studio right now is with out a shadow of a doubt Creative Assembly. I'm excited about their future games too. Rome 2, Aliens and WarHammer aka Fantasy Total War? sign me up!
Made by SEGA

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »
I'm starting to miss Sega of Japan's older studios. Looks like AM2 & AM3/Yakuza studio is still kicking around.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »
I'm starting to miss Sega of Japan's older studios. Looks like AM2 & AM3/Yakuza studio is still kicking around.

AM3 is not Yakuza studio. AM3 is Hitmaker + SEGA Rosso. Yakuza studio is part of the consumer division.

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 06:54:29 pm »
AM3 is not Yakuza studio. AM3 is Hitmaker + SEGA Rosso. Yakuza studio is part of the consumer division.
Your right, I meant to say AM4 (Amusement Vision) that later went on to become Yakuza Studio.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 08:57:47 pm »
SEGA of Japan should change to "SEGA East", and the worldwide meetings could be dubbed "East Meets West".

Offline DJaw

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 09:31:38 pm »
I think SEGA east isn't that great anymore. I hope SEGA west keeps growing and make great games, and Sumo Digital can make sonic game.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:06:05 am »
I think SEGA east isn't that great anymore. I hope SEGA west keeps growing and make great games, and Sumo Digital can make sonic game.

Welcome to the forums! I have to ask you to infuse a little more substance into your posts.

Sumo Digital has not made a good Sonic game ever... they have made great racing games, but never a Sonic game. And to be honest, I wouldn't want them to make a Sonic game. They don't have experience making platformers. 

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:00 am »
SEGA West has good games studios that make good games, examples being Three Rings and Creative Assembly.

What does bother me about SEGA West though is their marketing. I really don't like the way they are treating PSO2, acting like it basically doesn't exist right now. They could at least post some small updates on facebook pso2 page

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:34 am »
  Sega West is almost dead, Sega Japan is almost dead too.

Sega West is fully controlled by Japan now, and I'm near to kick Sega from my life if they don't stop this shitty mobile telephone things.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 10:07:14 am »
What does bother me about SEGA West though is their marketing. I really don't like the way they are treating PSO2, acting like it basically doesn't exist right now. They could at least post some small updates on facebook pso2 page

I think you hit upon the main thing that bothers me about Sega West, although not just in regards to PSO2 but in regards to every game.  They make no effort to leverage the fact that their Western fans already know, within a day or so, everything that Sega of Japan has announced.  Sega is a global company in the 21st century, but they seem to want to continue to act like separate regional companies in the pre-internet 20th century.  They want to manage expectations in a way that is no longer possible, and in doing so they usually just end up making fans who know what's going on overseas angry, by being silent and refusing to address questions about if and when they're going to be bringing titles over.  In this way they make it clear that they consider their primary audience to be relatively uninformed consumers, and they do little or nothing to acknowledge and show appreciation to their long-time fans.

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 11:43:41 am »
I think you hit upon the main thing that bothers me about Sega West, although not just in regards to PSO2 but in regards to every game.  They make no effort to leverage the fact that their Western fans already know, within a day or so, everything that Sega of Japan has announced.  Sega is a global company in the 21st century, but they seem to want to continue to act like separate regional companies in the pre-internet 20th century.  They want to manage expectations in a way that is no longer possible, and in doing so they usually just end up making fans who know what's going on overseas angry, by being silent and refusing to address questions about if and when they're going to be bringing titles over.  In this way they make it clear that they consider their primary audience to be relatively uninformed consumers, and they do little or nothing to acknowledge and show appreciation to their long-time fans.
Exactly the point I was looking for. Another thing that's funny, they've only announced the Model 2 Collection on their blogs, but not on Facebook and Twitter.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:56:24 am by Kori-Maru »