Author Topic: Nintendo *swiqu swiqu* Switch revealed or something like that  (Read 56517 times)

Offline segababy88baby

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: So anyone even care about the next thing from Nintendo? (NX)
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2016, 02:40:18 pm »
Nintendo could die for all I care.

"Why doesn't Sega buy Nintendo hurr durr"
While I'll admit there's a large portion of ignorant hardcore Nintendo fans out there, my issue with them isn't anywhere near enough to wish Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft for that matter) out of the core console market.  If one of them leaves, that's going to give room for some company like Samsung or Apple to try and enter, and they definitely don't care about the core gaming industry.

So just imagine a scenario where two of the remaining three are still around, but in lieu of the 3rd mainstay we have Samsung or Apple.  Or Google even.  The industry's going to be screwed if Nintendo isn't in that picture as a main player.

And I mean, it's already been pretty screwed when Sega folded, it'll just be moreso if Nintendo gets out of hardware as well :/

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2016, 05:33:16 pm »
Nintendo is all but irrelevant by now.. the gaming you love is dead. The developers are the ones who say it best, they have to earn their money, and the big money is NOT with the "hardcore" crowd
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2016, 06:00:05 pm »
As I get older, I'm finding that word strange. What is a hardcore gamer really? Is it someone who games a lot or someone who prefers games that feature little hand holding and throw you into the gameplay at the deep end?

I can't see it being the first as many people now play games after work, during breaks etc in some capacity. It might be Call of duty, GTA, fifa or whatever the latest hit is, but that's still gaming really regardless of what people actually think of their tastes.

The latter also raises a few questions too. Yes, games do a lot of hand holding now, but in the past, it wasn't a case of a deliberate design choice, but one of technological limitations they had at the time. Many games had to be short due to the hardware, so they created a steep learning curve and forced the player to replay over and over till they got good. That's not something I personally want to see return.

As I don't fit into either of these categories, am I just a gamer? I pay close attention to the games industry (development and games) while knowing what type of games and genres I prefer to play.  Sure, I find the odd exception outside of my criteria, but I can usually tell what I want to play fairly quickly nowadays by looking at the story, art style and the gameplay mechanics.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:02:07 pm by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2016, 03:43:35 am »
I meant as in people who started playing games in the 8/16bit eras
SEG4GES

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2016, 01:16:10 pm »
Nintendo is all but irrelevant by now.. the gaming you love is dead. The developers are the ones who say it best, they have to earn their money, and the big money is NOT with the "hardcore" crowd

To be fair, games are costing more and more money whilst the cost of buying that game remains the same, so the days of million hit sellers are a thing of the past.

The problem is kind of what Tad mentioned. Shorter games need to exist for both the developers sake (budget, experimental ideas) and for the benefit of those of us who can't afford to spend 40+ hours in a game any more.

Call of Duty and AssCreed don't need to cost millions these days given that the former is just a multiplayer bang bang fest (something PC gamers have enjoyed since Unreal) and the latter is just story crap with collect-a-thons that are useless.

It may sound strange, but I am glad that Candy Crush exists, as it has that Arcade feel and being a shortish game, you can play whenever (fuck in app purchases though). We need games like that (not the IAP thing, but the arcade like quality) to round out the games that express themselves on bigger budgets.

Nintendo should still exist, as they somewhat provide that simpler experience and I don't believe Nintendo Employees are paid all that much compared to the other companies (still more than you and me of course, but probably smaller than most third parties), which is likely why they can survive on a smaller fanbase.

To be honest, I wish SEGA added a console in the race just to give gamers an arcade experience that some of us miss (not exactly competing to Sony, MS etc), which I believe SNK targeted all those years ago.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Tad

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2016, 01:48:08 pm »
I'm glad to see these small experiences coming back. During the PS2/OXB/GC era they started to disappear as everyone seemed to be going for nothing but the big shiny, shiny games while the smaller studios nearly all went.

Thankfully, the adventure games (point&click etc), telltale, life is strange and so on are all thriving again now though. Long may it continue!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2016, 07:28:03 pm »
Here is a 'inside source' that leaked the Pokemon Y/X games and that PS4 would run Unreal 4 quality games. Take it with a grain of salt? I dunno.

I don’t have many details on the device itself but I do have some background for it and some PR techniques they will use for it. A thing to note about this device is that much of it’s production was started in 2014 and many of the stuff I list here was outlined by the late Satoru Iwata before his passing. Hence in the company, the NX is considered the last project of their late President. Employees since his passing utters a phrase at the end of meetings and during idea brainstorms which is “岩田のために!” which roughly translates “For Iwata!” The importance of this is that this “new” Nintendo is highly motivated in delivering a fantastic system and games, something that I quote from an employee “have not seen this much forward momentum on a project since they launched the original Famicom”.

Some of the only few hardware info I know is that allegedly:

• It has a wireless HDMI dongle that attaches flush to the back of the device. A user can pull it out and insert it into any display with a normal sized HDMI output and the devices uses an evolved version of the Wii U’s streaming tech to display in HD to the TV screen.[/font]
  • Allegedly the analog controls for movement has small motors in them for full haptic feedback. Meaning if you control a character and hit a wall, the sticks move away from the direction of that wall to simulate running head first into it. This can also be used for jerking when firing a gun, taking damage, moving over rough terrain, ect.
  • It can literally Bluetooth sync with everything, especially smart phone and tablets to the point where one feature is that it can answer phone calls and display text messages from your phone onto the screens itself so you don’t have to stop and answer your smart device.
  • The closest in terms of “power” it gets to is the Xbox One, but an app idea is Wii U x50 and Playstation Vita x100. The key is that all the tech is exactly the same hardware layout as the PS4 and Xbox One which then combine it with the OS’s strong emulation functions and compiler means that any game that can run of a Playstation 4 or Xbox One can easily run on the NX with near-zero modification to the original source code, especially if it runs in Android OS or Unreal Engine 4. This is allegedly why Nintendo has given out the dev kits so late, as one 3rd Party dev put it “It’s the easiest device we’ve ever developed for. You just take your code, compile it and it works.”
  • Look to Pokemon GO to get the idea of the type of social features that will be in NX that will take multiplayer, AR and the StreetPass concept to a whole new level.
The real strengths of the device is its usability and ease of use. Developers have described to me more than once that it visually and functionally looks as if “Samsung and the Nintendo 2DS” had a baby, in that it looks friendly but unlike what most people visualize a Nintendo device to typically look.

The operating system, named NintendOS alone is very powerful and has so many modern features of mobile operating systems today that Nintendo is trying to be very careful in showing it off for fear that it would be mistaken as running Android. It also has a very strong networking functions as it ties into multiple devices and services allowing a very competent and pervasive eco-system designed to constantly involve the consumer’s lives.
http://dualpixels.com/2016/02/27/rumor-new-information-on-next-gen-nintendo-nx-console/

If this whole 'connecting tablets' and mobile devices is true, they will most likely tie-in their mobile games with the next console.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2016, 03:46:34 am »
We have a name for this sort of thing in portuguese: "banha de cobra"
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2016, 05:23:39 am »
That all sounds way to good to be true. I am not getting the NX either way. What I wonder is if this NintendoOS is going to start from the NX, or if its going to be apllied to 3DS and WiiU as well.

Offline Tad

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2016, 05:47:52 am »
It sounds very impressive if true.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2016, 01:28:46 am »
My issue is... So what if it's easy to bring in code? Why would I not just buy a PS4?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2016, 03:15:47 am »
My issue is... So what if it's easy to bring in code? Why would I not just buy a PS4?
Because that would make too much sense for a Nintendrone
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2016, 09:14:27 am »
Nintendo to launch NX console in March 2017

Cue the Wii/Mega Drive -> Wii U/Saturn -> NX/Dreamcast comparisons

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2016, 09:15:53 am »
The WiiU isn't that good.
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2016, 10:26:25 am »
Nintendo to launch NX console in March 2017

I think it's telling no one is even talking about it on my timeline.

But this is good news, seems the rumours were right that were saying the NX devkits weren't being sent out. A bit worrying Nintendo is going to avoid E3 to show off the NX though.